PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a spindel adapter source

Hank Walczak
03-10-2007, 6:46 PM
I'm looking for an inexpensive spindel adapter (1x8 to 1-1/4). I don't want to spend much more than it would cost to get another insert for my scroll chuck($25). The only ones I have found so far are around $60 + shipping. Suggestions?

Hank

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2007, 6:58 PM
Hank.......try Penn State Industries.....I was looking at their catalogue last night and they had some...

http://www.pennstateind.com/

Hank Walczak
03-10-2007, 7:05 PM
Ken - Thanks for the suggestion but the adapter they had was 1-1/4x8 to 1x8. That goes the wrong way. My chuck is 1-1/4 and I want to use it on a lathe with 1x8. Thanks anyway.

Hank

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2007, 7:19 PM
Check with the manufacturer of the chuck or with the store that sells them. My SN2 is threaded for some other size but it came with an adapter.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2007, 7:21 PM
Hank....I just checked with Craftsupplies USA and they have threaded adapters for my SN2 for $25......What kind of a chuck do you have?

Hank Walczak
03-10-2007, 7:42 PM
Ken - I have a SN2 with a 1-1/4 insert and want to use it on a 1x8 lathe. The reason I'm looking for a spindel adapter is that I don't want to keep changing out the chuck inserts. I know that's an option but I would rather go the spindel adapter route.

Hank

Jason Anders
03-12-2007, 1:30 AM
You might check around at a local machine/metal working shop. I had some work done like that once not long ago for $15-$20. Explained to them what I need (picture, sizes, etc) and they turned it out of a cut off scrap piece. Works sometimes and beats mailorder if you have good machine shop around.

George Tokarev
03-12-2007, 9:04 AM
Think you may be caught by your own false economy. The spindle extender/adapters add two more possibilities for adjustment and runout problems, and since you'll be changing them, as opposed to an insert situation where once seated you can rely on it staying as is, it's potential for surprise every time.

I'd get another body. Used types are good. I got two of mine that way.

As to machine shops cooking up something locally, be advised that the normal for 1 1/4 is 7tpi not 8, so don't expect them to have the proper die on the shelf.

If none of this convinces you, get the number from http://www.bestwoodtools.com/ and order what you want. Won't be cheap, but will run true. They'll make sure of it.

Jim Becker
03-12-2007, 9:15 AM
George speaks well about why the spindle thread adapters cost so much...they really have to be precisely machined or problems ensue. Be aware that they also add to the length of the chuck assembly and that will reduce the length of the work you can work, as it were...

Hilel Salomon
03-12-2007, 9:37 AM
I think that this place has what you want, but they're $45.
http://www.woodenpost.com/products/lathe_accessories.htm
Good luck, Hilel.

Chris Jenkins
03-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Not sure of the price, but I have an old JET catalog and a:

1" x 8 TPI to 1-1/4" x 8 TPI is part number 709948. Give them a call and see what it goes for.

800-274-6848 - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (CST, Monday - Friday).

I checked the WMH website and it comes up, so they prolly still stock it.

Hank Walczak
03-12-2007, 1:25 PM
Chris - Their price was $74.99+. Their web site directed me to a local store. That store wanted $66.95 + tax. The search is still on. As a last resort I may end up using Hilel's recommendation. Thanks, again.

Hank

Hank Walczak
03-12-2007, 11:48 PM
After much consideration, I've decided to get another chuck insert. If I have to swap out the inserts too many times I may just have to bite the bullet and get another chuck. It's the most expedient option. The WoodenPost people were very nice to talk to. Because the insert was going to be a non-stock unit, it was going to take too long to make & ship. Thanks for everyone's interest.

Hank