PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a new livecenter?

Stephen Hibbs
03-10-2007, 6:16 PM
I lost the little pointy metal cone that goes into my tailstock's livecenter, where can I get a new one? Do I have to buy a whole new livecenter unit, cause that would suck. What's it called BTW?

Harry Goodwin
03-10-2007, 6:24 PM
I bought the pin for my jet as insurance from jet including an extra but now I've followed the path of actually losing the drive center point and it's backordered. Harry

Robert McGowen
03-10-2007, 7:02 PM
I know Woodcraft sells them for a couple of bucks. I have set a few down never to be seen again. :D I belive that it is called a center point for a live center tail stock.

Thomas Canfield
03-10-2007, 9:22 PM
It seems that Woodcraft, Highland Hardware, and several others have a cheap live center for less than $20, and I ordered one because the original Jet mini bearing went bad. The replacement looked identical to the original. Turned out you can get a replacement bearing at local bearing house for less than $5 and it is fairly easy to replace requiring making a wooden block to hold the seat and drive out the old bearing.

Thomas Canfield
03-10-2007, 9:28 PM
It seems that Woodcraft, Highland Hardware, and several others have a cheap live center for less than $20, and I ordered one because the original Jet mini bearing went bad. The replacement looked identical to the original. Turned out you can get a replacement bearing at local bearing house for less than $5 and it is fairly easy to replace requiring making a wooden block to hold the seat and drive out the old bearing.

Bob Urso
03-13-2007, 9:11 AM
You didn't mention which live center you had, is it factory or aftermarket? Oneway sells extra points for a few bucks and any Oneway retailer should be able to get one for you. I imagine that most other manufacturers supply replacements as well.
Bob

Stephen Hibbs
03-13-2007, 4:41 PM
It's the livecenter that came with my harbor frieght lathe.

Joe Melton
03-13-2007, 5:26 PM
You fellows need to keep your floors a little cleaner.
Joe

Stephen Hibbs
03-13-2007, 7:26 PM
It's not that. I took it out and put it somewhere, and just don't know where!! I'm still hoping it'll turn up.

Gil Jones
03-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Turn one from "hard" wood, aluminum, or brass.

Richard Madison
03-14-2007, 12:21 AM
It's not that. I took it out and put it somewhere, and just don't know where!! I'm still hoping it'll turn up.
Hate when that happens. I put it somewhere so I wouldn't lose it. Been there, done that. And it gets worse as you get older. Best to tape it to the front of your shirt, or the bathroom mirror. When your sweetie asks "What the hell is this doing here?", you will be able to answer accurately and confidently.