PDA

View Full Version : Who abandoned their flatwork all-together after buying a lathe??

chris del
03-10-2007, 6:05 PM
Just a show of hands, and maybe a little story about your life as a woodworker after buying a lathe...
Are the other machines collecting rust?

Chris

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2007, 6:45 PM
Guilty......

Travis Stinson
03-10-2007, 7:14 PM
Guilty..........

Status of bookmatched Walnut coffee table started 3 years ago.....................
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/DSC02236.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/DSC02235.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2007, 7:16 PM
I have an excuse however....I keep telling my wife the inmates here said they would BOMB me unless I started turning.....I tell her it's in the interest of personal security!:rolleyes: :D

Harvey M. Taylor
03-10-2007, 7:55 PM
still got every last opne of them. Have incorporated most of them into turning. Ex. tablesaw, planer, drill press, clamps,all 65 of them, glue, sandpaper, chopsaw,handsaws, drum sander, dust collector, you name it. Selling one is like losing an old friend. Call me sentimental, I dont care. Max disguised as dustpan.

John Hart
03-10-2007, 8:22 PM
Guilty. Table Saw is used as a table to seal turning blanks...Jointer is a coffee cup and thermometer holder. Haven't bothered to get the RAS or the Miter Saw out of storage...Scroll saw and the router table are collecting dust on the floor next to the bandsaw. My shop has been swallowed up in the vortex.

Nancy Laird
03-10-2007, 8:28 PM
Hubby won't let our other tools sit idle, especially with brand new jointer, planer, and edge sander. He does the flatwork; I do the turning. We are sharing space now, but look out--the addition to the shop goes on this summer (I hope), and it will house the abyss stuff.

Nancy

Carol Reed
03-10-2007, 8:32 PM
Ohh...Ohh...

The abyss AND a shop addition!

Excuse me, I have to go get a towel to mop up the drool.

Jim DeLaney
03-10-2007, 8:35 PM
I went the other way. After spending months and months playing with my Jet mini, I pretty much abandoned it. It sits in the back of the shop, taking up room, but hasn't been turned on in about six months. After a bunch of bowls, and a few dozen pens, wine stoppers, etc., I just lost interest in the lathe. Maybe some day...

John Hart
03-10-2007, 8:48 PM
Jim...you strike me as a precision-oriented fellow. I'm bettin' that's why you escaped the vortex. I wonder if you had done segmented turning, it might have been different.

Nancy Laird
03-10-2007, 9:10 PM
Ohh...Ohh...

The abyss AND a shop addition!

Excuse me, I have to go get a towel to mop up the drool.

Carol, the main wood shop is about 25x35, the finishing room is 12x16, and the new addition will be another 12x16. Then we have a separate building, 12x20, for the lasers and attendant accessories.:p

We pass out towels to visitors before we let them into the shop--we don't want the machines rusting.:rolleyes: :p

Wanna come visit?

Nancy

Kevin McPeek
03-10-2007, 9:17 PM
What is this "flatwork" that you speak of? ;)
Lets see, table saw= workbench/ tool storage, router table= lathe stand for mini, jointer= storage, clamps and most other tools= dust holders.

Mark Pruitt
03-10-2007, 9:21 PM
Guilty. I can't even seem to complete a workbench I started almost a year ago.:o

Jeff Moffett
03-10-2007, 9:22 PM
Another guilty. I got interested in woodworking about 8 years ago and started slowly acquiring the equipment. After lots of research and many hours in front of The New Yankee Workshop, I prioritized the equpment list and started with a tablesaw and dust collector. Knowing a lathe was a completely different animal, it was last on the list. I finally added it to my shop two 2 years ago, and I can honestly say I wish I had bought it first. Next on the list...bandsaw upgrade! :cool:

Terry Quiram
03-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Almost 5 years ago I built a cabinet for my shop to help hide some of the clutter. I cut all the drawer sides and plywood bottoms. Those pieces are still sitting on the tablesaw waiting to be made into drawers to finish the cabinet and the shop is still cluttered.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2007, 10:26 PM
And for the first time since I joined the Creek I'm upset! You rascals tease me about not having my shop finished since you bombed me and now I find out most are no better than I!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

I sure like the company I keep!:)

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-10-2007, 10:27 PM
It's pretty hard to do much segmented work without a lot of flatwork. I continue to use almost every tool on every turning.

John Hart
03-10-2007, 10:33 PM
And for the first time since I joined the Creek I'm upset! You rascals tease me about not having my shop finished since you bombed me and now I find out most are no better than I!

Ahem!...I believe that the only people harrassing you for not finishing it are the flatlanders!
When we harrass you...it's because we're gloating!!!:D

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Chris, after starting turning in Oct of '04 I can honestly say that about 95% of all the woodworking I do today is turning. Every once in awhile I get stuck with some flatwork but it's still wood and I enjoy it. As far as the flatwork tools - I still use everything but mostly to hold different turnings while the finish drys!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Ahem!...I believe that the only people harrassing you for not finishing it are the flatlanders!
When we harrass you...it's because we're gloating!!!:D

Touche`...Mr. Hart......Touche`!:D

Carol Reed
03-10-2007, 10:48 PM
You bet I do!

I get out of school the middle of May and will be heading back to Arizona. I often pause in your neck of the woods.

Don't be surprised to hear from me... :D

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2007, 11:36 PM
My tablesaw, router, skillsaw, scroll saw, router table, planes, jointer and planer haven't been turned on since December of 2005. Tablesaw makes a nice table top for holding blanks. If I sold all that stuff I could probably get a Nova DVR XP or Jet 1642 in there. :eek::eek: Did I say that. :D:D

Jeff Towle
03-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Not sure if it's the lathe or just lazy. Started this cabinet for Momma 3 Christmases ago. She wont let me bring it in until I make some doors. My Delta midi is mounted on my router table so its been awhile since I used it.

Jeff

Gary Herrmann
03-11-2007, 3:00 AM
I doubt I'll give up flatwork. I have chair rail to make, a loft bed for my son, and various other projects. I don't think SWMBO would be nearly as supportive of the hobby if she didn't get "useful" things out of it.

She did show off her yellowheart pen to a neighbor and the neighbor wants to buy one, so maybe she can be my sales staff...

Gary DeWitt
03-11-2007, 5:12 AM
Only flatwork I've been doing in the last year has been to build storage solutions to store lathe accessories and turning tools!

Chris Barton
03-11-2007, 7:48 AM
I have the opposite problem. I still do flatwork as well as turn but now I am also trying lutherie and carving. I think I have woodworking ADHD... with a side diagnosis of jointery obsessive-compulsive disorder. I try to do it all.

PS: this is a project I have been working on forever. It's a hutch for our kitchen from curly maple. This is just the bottom section. Maybe I will turn something this afternoon... Oh the heresy of posting flatwork on the Turning Forum:eek:

Jim DeLaney
03-11-2007, 8:10 AM
Jim...you strike me as a precision-oriented fellow. I'm bettin' that's why you escaped the vortex. I wonder if you had done segmented turning, it might have been different.

Maybe. Someday... But first, I've got a bunch of cabinets, a kiddy rocking chair, a rocking horse, and a few other projects to do.

Just finished a sewing machine cabinet for the wife (pics soon) and a miter saw cabinet for the shop. Lots more to go...

Ed Thomas
03-11-2007, 8:34 AM
Yesterday I used the table saw (had to "unload" and take the cover off it), band saw, jig saw, and cordless driver. :o I made a jig to use a laminate trimmer on the lathe. :)

Ernie Nyvall
03-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Oh man, you HAD to bring this up didn't you. My table saw motor went out 2 years ago and I've never had it fixed. A little over 2 years ago I bought a 8" x 75" jointer that I've never plugged in. New routers for a table that's unfinished and the list goes on. Boy am I guilty... and now I feel it thanks to this thread.
Just bought a better welder (the mig type) to help make more lathe tools!!!:D

Hilel Salomon
03-11-2007, 11:30 AM
I certainly do less furniture than before, but with kids and grandkids and the BW asking for or "needing" things, I couldn't. Last thing I did was a large curio cabinet out of Bolivian rosewood that I made in December. Now on order is a large walnut dining table for my daughter and her family. She's asked for an "inca style" and that took a while to find. Still nothing relaxes like turning.

roy knapp
03-11-2007, 12:00 PM
All i can say is that the Flat work did tend to take the back seat, but she said your turning work is realy beautiful but what about the other stuff you do?

So explaind that i do use basically all the other machines for the Segmented Bowls, but i do the book shelf, toy chest,ect. and you know the other requests.

Yes I think more about the lathe but, always ready for Flat Work.:D :D :D

Jean Holland
03-11-2007, 12:02 PM
I started with turning a few years back, and was expanding into flat work, but haven't been able to do anything for over a year now. We sold our house and work shop (the three car attached garage) last year. We've got a new place now, but had to build a pole barn (30x54) where 1/2 is going to be shop. Got shop designed and all the materials needed to partion the barn, but haven't been able to get it done (that's hubby's job). :eek:

I haven't stopped collecting tools...I mean expanding my equipment and supplies while I've been waiting to get back into the swing of it. Unfortunately, I do draw the line at doing wood working in my bed room, guest room, office, or dining room. The tools and supplies can be stored in the house, but they have to remain clean and/or covered. With the weather breaking here, I am optimistic I'll be able to join to vortex and flat landers in the very near future. :)

Mike Turkley
03-11-2007, 8:17 PM
Guilty here as well. I filled my house up with flatwork items. Now it looks like I'm going to fill my house with bowls.:eek:

MikeT

Chris Rolke
03-12-2007, 8:15 AM
i still do a little flat work ( very little actually)

damn vortex

TYLER WOOD
03-12-2007, 10:07 AM
GUILTY, My two table saws are my bench for my lathe to sit on. My compressor is only to blow chips around te garage. My router has found a good new home, hand planes left to rust and collect dust. Actually the worst part, I actually paid someone to convert and refurbish an old radio cabinet into a toy storage bin for my kids. Added 6 drawers and a shelf, rebuilt a door and some cove molding. I coulda done it my self but I was busy..........

Keel McDonald
03-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Not Guilty. I use my lathe, but more often than not my shop time is spent on flat work. I enjoy both aspects of woodwork, however.

Mike Ramsey
03-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Guilty...I bought a new Jointer & Bandsaw more than 2 1/2 years ago...
I've since added a riser kit to the bandsaw to cut bigger blanks for bowls
& haven't ran the jointer yet, still covered up in the corner. The table saw
got used 3 weeks ago for the first time in 2 years...had to cut some 2x4's
to glue up for a segmented 2x4 bowl contest in our club.

Don Orr
03-12-2007, 12:45 PM
...as charged here too. Been hacking wood into various levels of submission for a long time with limited success. Found turning and haven't been the same since. Now I'd like to learn more flatwork to expand my capabilities. I also still have an incomplete workbench for about 2 years now.:D

Jason Beam
03-12-2007, 2:16 PM
Not I - guess i'm among the few who manages to still do both. The abyss got me, i bought all the equipment (chisels, chuck, grinder, etc). But I'd be surprised if I ever completely fell into doing mostly turning. It's the best of both worlds :D

Now ... if you guys can help a fella turn an entertainment center or a bed, i'm all ears. But until the particle board has been replaced in my house, i've got lotsa flat work projects floating around.

Tony De Masi
03-12-2007, 3:38 PM
At the beginning of the year i would have submitted a guilty plea. However, since then I have been "voluntold" BMBH, that I was going to build new vanities for four bathroom remodels, AND build a baby cradle for a friend. Well the cradle was completed a few weeks ago but this weekend I was informed by a niece and nephew (NO, not brother and sister) that they were both expecting and heard that I had already built one cradle and would I PLEASE make them one too. So as much as it's killing me to be in the same room as the lathe and not have enough time to use it family right now is taking forcing me to put spinning on the back burner. But I will return to the abyss as soon as possible.

Tony

Bob Noles
03-12-2007, 9:11 PM
Guilty, but trying to get reformed a little...... very little :D

Stephen Hibbs
03-12-2007, 10:53 PM
I left flatowrk behind for a year, but I'm slowly getting back into making small jewelry boxes and the like, they can be pretty fun too. When I'm all growed up I'm NOT getting a lathe first because I know I won't be able to get my shop in order otherwise.