PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw questions

Ron Kellison
03-10-2007, 1:51 PM
As I mentioned in another post, I'm selling off my Craftsman stationary tools (tablesaw, drill press, bandsaw and jointer), installing a sub-panel and running in 220V so that I can start using better tools. As luck would have it, I picked up a 5HP left-tilt X5 Unisaw yesterday with the 50-inch Bies fence. It had been returned to the local Dewalt service centre for quote cosmetic unquote reasons...cracked motor cover, scratches in the paint and someone had taken a hammer to a fence rail. The motor cover and entire fence was replaced, and I reached agreement on a price of US$ 1,375. They have agreed to hold it for me for a couple of weeks to allow me to tear my shop apart without having to move the beast around. When I pick it up, I'm thinking about a couple of accessories. Obviously, I need a good mobile base as I work in a 2-car garage. First question: Are the Delta bases worth the money? Second question: What opinions do you have on the value of Delta's folding outfeed table vs building one of my own? Third question: Can the Unisaw be picked up and moved by lifting it by the table if I find 3 or 4 stupid friends willing to work for beer? The way the frame is put together I don't think I want to be tipping it or trying to slide it across the floor to get it into my shop and up on the mobile base. Regards, Ron As always, I wish you enough!

Jim Thiel
03-10-2007, 2:53 PM
... if I find 3 or 4 stupid friends willing to work for beer...

Where are you and when do you want to move the saw?

Jerry McCaffrey
03-10-2007, 3:10 PM
I brought a uni down to a basement shop with my son and a hand truck. Fence and side wings were removed and it wasn't bad at all. Have to remove the tilt hand wheel so you can put the side opposite the motor (I have a right tilt) against the handtruck. Could move it around the shop myself on the handtruck and was able to tip it onto the mobile base w/o help. Assembled the wings fence, etc. after it was on the mobile base. The saw came with the right homemade extension for the 50 bies and I fabricated a similar one from melamine for the outfeed. I used an old bedframe angle irons for triangulation to back of table from base of saw. Just some metal cutting, drilling, and bolting together.

Overall the unisaw was a snap ... now the dj20 that was another matter :) If I ever move, getting them up will be the trick!

Jim DeLaney
03-10-2007, 3:19 PM
First - if your Craftsman drill press is an older one, it may well be better than much of what's available today. If it's old enough to have the 'threaded rod' depth stop and a long - over 4" - quill depth, then I'd consider keeping it.

As for the mobile bases, I have no experience with the Delta ones, but I do have three of the Shop Fox bases in my shop. For the tablesaw, you'll need their 'heavy duty' basic base, plus the extension to go under your fence's legs. That's what I have under my Shop Fox saw. The saw is heavy, but once I get mine moving, I can easily wheel it around the shop.

The Delta outfeed table is nice, but you can build a better one much cheaper.

Brad Townsend
03-10-2007, 3:27 PM
I have a 3hp Uni on the Delta mobile base, and it's a good base IMHO. I don't know if picking it up by the table is a good idea or not. If you try it, I don't think I would pick it up by the cast extensions, but only by the center section of the table. If the fence rails are attached, I think it might be okay to use those, as they are attached to the main table. I think the safest thing would be to remove the table entirely. It's only four screws. When I moved mine about 100 yards back to my shop, I removed the table and secured the motor and cabinet to a dolly and rolled it on back. also used the dolly for the main table section. The extensions I could simply carry. It was several trips, but I moved the whole thing by myself.

Ron Kellison
03-10-2007, 7:17 PM
Where are you and when do you want to move the saw? Ottawa, Ontario. That's at least a 2 beer trip for you!

Ron Kellison
03-10-2007, 7:36 PM
The Delta outfeed table is nice, but you can build a better one much cheaper.[/quote] Do you have any suggestions as to where I can find plans or articles? I've got an older FWW (June 2003) which has an interesting one, but there must be more. Thanks, Ron

Jim Summers
03-10-2007, 7:49 PM
I am still thrashing around wtih getting a cab saw. A mobile base is also a necessity for me. I am hopingto use the space under the wing for some storage. So the delta base with the bars and locking device under the wing seem that they may get in the way.

I was wondering if something like an HTC or another undersaw base would work, and then when ready to move, unlock the base wheels. raise the leg adjusters on the extension wing and off I go?

Similar to how you would move a pm2000.

Robert Waddell
03-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Ron,
I have a 3hp X5 Uni. To answer your questions: #1 Their moble bases are as good as any I've seen. I've got one under my Uni and X5 Planer. #2 I don't know the pricing on this accessory but the flexability of making exactly what you need would be worth the time of making your own. #3 I wouldn't risk moving it by the top. Take the extention off on the side opposite the motor cover and use an appliance dolly. You can move it and load it into the moble base pretty much yourself using this method. I've done it twice using the dolly with no issues at all.
BTW congrats on the purchase at that great price. I know you are going to love it.
Rob

Ron Kellison
03-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Ron,
I have a 3hp X5 Uni. To answer your questions: #1 Their moble bases are as good as any I've seen. I've got one under my Uni and X5 Planer. #2 I don't know the pricing on this accessory but the flexability of making exactly what you need would be worth the time of making your own. #3 I wouldn't risk moving it by the top. Take the extention off on the side opposite the motor cover and use an appliance dolly. You can move it and load it into the moble base pretty much yourself using this method. I've done it twice using the dolly with no issues at all.
BTW congrats on the purchase at that great price. I know you are going to love it.
Rob

It's encouraging to know that I can use a dolly to move the saw. The wings and fence have not been installed yet, so it's still a relatively small package.

Ron Kellison
03-15-2007, 6:51 PM
The saw will be picked up on the 24th, and I can't wait to get my hands on it! Since the original purchase, I've added a Delta mobile base with extension, a Biese splitter and the improved arbor nut. I've also ordered a TS2000 blade from Ridge Carbide. I also plan to build the outfeed table discussed so often on this site.

I want to thank everyone for their good advice!:D

Regards,

Ron