PDA

View Full Version : Antiques 201 Help

greg Forster
03-10-2007, 12:14 PM
I stumbled across a slant-front desk at a local antique co-op and would appreciate some help figuring out what it is. The desk is in very rough shape and I'm sure people much more knowledgeable than myself have taken a look at it, but maybe no one else wants to bother with it. It will never be collectable quality.

I know... I know,:o
SORRY, no pictures(buy more tools or buy a better camera... hmmm?)

The desk is described as oak, but only the fairly recent, and completely out of place, base and add-ons to the drawers are oak.
I think the desk is walnut, with a reddish color, but maybe mahogany. The style is last half 1700s to early 1800s.

The lid has a very appealing look; is nicely constructed with the ends mitered at the upper corners, and looks old and period, with a small thumbnail molding and a wonderful age appropriate split. But it seems too thin @5/8", I'm used to seeing thicker material and there are 3 small brass hinges- with no signs of any previous different hinges on the lid or desk case, where 2 larger hinges seem the norm.

The desk frame is thin also -appox 3/4". The top /sides are joined with
with a miter,;where an exposed dovetail joint usually is.The gallery is plain and doesn't match anything.

There are three rows of drawers(2)(1)(1). The drawer fronts sit flush with the frame, and are plain. They are also thin 5/8" and the top 2 drawers have a later added face of 3/8" oak. The bottom 2 drawers have only walnut fronts.

The drawers are dovetail construction, not top quality joinery, but look period. However, they seem to be lacking something, maybe veneered at some point in time? Their thinness just looks strange to me. There is some replacement of sides and bottoms. I was only able to remove the top pair of drawers.
The drawer bottoms are planed smooth inside and either pit sawn or sash saw cut (more likely) and planed to bevel the edges into the drawer sides. The drawer pulls are oak rectangles(Danish modern-ish?)
There are full dust panels in the case under the top pair of drawers. I didn't examine the lower drawers beyond pulling them out about 1 inch, (very cramped space)

I think the case back is vertical boards nailed in place- but couldn't pull desk away from wall to examine this better.

I feel my antiques' knowledge is beyond the basics, but I still have alot to learn. My gut says an assembled piece; period lid, maybe period drawers from a different piece with a later built case,with an even later base and gallery and drawer repair. But even this has some holes in it.

What should I look for on this desk? I'm thinking for the purchase price of around $200 and a fair amount of work(fun), I can have a decent looking, useable desk at least semi-period.The lumber would cost more than that.