PDA

View Full Version : Check this project out!

Fred Voorhees
03-10-2007, 11:25 AM
In Karls Weekend Doin's post, I mentioned that I had some visitors coming this morning (Sat). Both are long time local dirt track stock car racing fans like myself and the son half of the pair of visitors is the gentleman who has been involved with me in researching the history of the sport various times in the past. He told me that his Dad, the other half of todays visiting duo, had something for me. Well, a number of years ago, I had helped in the research of the career of his Dad's favorite local driver and he wanted to repay me for the huge effort. The pictures below was how he returned the favor. He is a woodworker like all of us and he has done many creations such as this. This is a rendition of one of my favorite cars from back in the 80's and at one time, had my favorite driver behind the wheel.

It is made from solid red oak, both 3/4" and 1/2" as well as 1/4" red oak ply. The wheels were purchased from Rockler and the entire project is scaled off of the wheels for authenticity. The accompanying picture is one that I have hanging in my home and is of the actual car that the project duplicates. The guy did an awesome job on it and said it would be great for my racing themed bar room. I think he was right. It was a great surprise.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Is that a Peterbuilt?

Nice truck.

Mike Shoemaker
03-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Fantastic work. The man is an artist.

Jerry McCaffrey
03-10-2007, 3:20 PM
Nice model. I recognized the car in the picture. I'm sure you'll get to remember it regularly when you visit Lowe's later in the year :)

John Timberlake
03-10-2007, 4:18 PM
He did a great job. That is a really nice present.

Fred Voorhees
03-10-2007, 7:22 PM
Nice model. I recognized the car in the picture. I'm sure you'll get to remember it regularly when you visit Lowe's later in the year :)

Yeah, that's the Norcia Brothers Black Horse Racing #81 - one of the coolest looking dirt track modifieds of its time back in the 80's. That picture was taken at Nazareth Speedway while Billy Pauch was driving it. He wasn't driving it long and Billy only won a single feature for them, though it was one of the first of his now over 600 feature event wins. A little bit of trivia finds that the Norcia crew are responsible for tagging Pauchy with the nickname "The Kid". You can clearly see it on the hood of the car in the photo. The name stuck and it is now synonamous (sp?) with Billy Pauch.

Jim Becker
03-10-2007, 9:02 PM
Wow! What a great piece! (That's gonna look right at home in your, umm...racing...room, Fred) Darn, I guess I'm going to have to venture over there and get a closer look at that thing, too!

Jon Shively
03-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Now that is a thank you with feeling! Obvious this guy thought highly of your efforts. Document the story and put it with the model in an out of the way place, will make it more valuable to your grandkids and great grandkids instead of just becoming a toy in one or two generations.

Karl Laustrup
03-11-2007, 1:50 PM
Way KEWEL Fred. What a nice gift. :)

Your friend does great work. :)

Now, you need to build a display case to keep it pristine. And include the makers name on a plaque on the case. ;) :D

Karl