PDA

View Full Version : Mini Gloat

Doug M Jones
03-10-2007, 11:02 AM
I know, compared to a lot of the equipment I see in gloats, my new Jet mini lathe is not much to get excited about, but it's the first piece of machinery that I own that was not inherited or someone elses cast off. I'm stoked... can't imagine what it will feel like when the new cabinet saw is delivered but that is several months off. I ordered turning tools through my local turning group and have to wait until they arrive sometime next week, arrgh... Probably not a good idea (safety wise) to use a bench chisel is it?

What is the best way to clean the goop that is on the faceplate and bed and what should I do to keep it protected?

I have learned that it is not a real gloat until pictures are posted but the camera battery was dead so it will have to charge for a while and I wanted to get this cleaned and ready for use.

Thanks again to all for your advice and support. The Creek has been a great place to learn.

Harvey M. Taylor
03-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi Doug,
Dont apologize for buying the Jet Mini. It is a fine unit. A lot of turners have one. It can do just about anything others can, only smaller. That was the first one I bought and still have it and use it. A great machine to learn on.
Now, git back in the shop and turn something. Max

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Doug....Congrats on the Jet Mini! I turn on one! Don't get me wrong, later this year I hope to upgrade to some Mustard but.........I'll keep the Mini....for turning smaller things and maybe, use it to teach the kids and grandkids and great grandkids to turn....

I've turned 9" bowls, bottlestoppers, pens and the first Original Idaho Salmon Bonker on it. Nothing wrong with a mini.....a Jet Mini....

Congrats and good luck on the abysseration!

Jonathon Spafford
03-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Hey, I got a Jet Mini! They are great and will handle all the abuse you can give it! Nice little machines.

Scott Brihn
03-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Doug,

Congratulations on acquiring the Jet Mini. I recently began turning and purchased the same machine.

I used a citrus based cleaner to clean the packing grease off and then coating the surfaces with Pro Gold Lubricant (PG2000).

Bill Wyko
03-10-2007, 1:02 PM
Everything I've turned so far has been on a mini. That lil dude will turn out some pretty nice stuff. Don't be afraid to push the limits with it. I do every time.:D One thing though......it's an anchor in the abyss. It'll make you want more.:eek:

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2007, 1:27 PM
Congrats on the lathe Doug. Good machine. Have fun.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-10-2007, 3:37 PM
No reason to feel bad about the Jet Mini. I beat one up for a year, before I got 2" itis and it performed very well.

Bruce

Mark Pruitt
03-10-2007, 4:13 PM
That Mini is a fine little lathe that is capable of turning out some nice stuff. I like to use Naphtha to clean the goop off of new tools, because it dries quickly. But paint thinner works just as well. I like to use Boeshield T9 on the bed to protect from rust.

Bill Wyko
03-10-2007, 4:15 PM
I actually put a coat of minwax mold release then a couple coats of PVA poly vinyl alcohol. It's what I use to release parts in fiberglass molds.:D

Bill Bolen
03-10-2007, 4:30 PM
Good 'ole wd40 cleaned my jet vs mini right up! Turning within 20 minutes of its arrival!

Christopher K. Hartley
03-10-2007, 5:22 PM
I know, compared to a lot of the equipment I see in gloats, my new Jet mini lathe is not much to get excited about, but it's the first piece of machinery that I own that was not inherited or someone elses cast off. I'm stoked... Are you kidding? What is there that isn't something to get stoked about? This is a Huge Gloat! Any time you you dive into the abyss, you can count it as worth the Shout! Let's see some pics when you're ready. I'm looking forward to seeing it and your work.:)

John Hart
03-11-2007, 6:55 AM
With all the phenomenal work I've seen created on the Jet Mini, I see nothing to apologize for. Good gloat. Keep her dirty!!:)

Brett Baldwin
03-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Welcome to the Abyss Doug. I too have a mini and am very happy with it. Its only lack is size of projects possible and even that is not bad as Bill Wyko's work attests to. I used mineral spirits for the clean-up and paste wax for protection which has kept rustfree and slick.