PDA

View Full Version : A Lie-Nielsen Gloat

Michael Gibbons
03-10-2007, 9:12 AM
Her's a picture of my #8 jointer from last weekends Woodcraft sale and my shop essentials.

John Miliunas
03-10-2007, 9:33 AM
Hey, congrats, Michael! Now that is the BIG boy, isn't it? :) Looks like a splendid addtion to your "family"! :D :cool:

Don Bullock
03-10-2007, 9:44 AM
Congratulations. That's a beauty. I'm sure it will serve you well. You have a great collection there.:D

Cliff Polubinsky
03-11-2007, 6:25 PM
Nice score. I brought home the LA Jack and it impressed me so much (so THAT'S why God invented hand planes!) that I decided to add a few more. So I picked up the #85 scraping plane and the Model 100 Model maker's plane (unfortunately after the sale) and ordered the LA smoother and 60 1/2 block (Woodcraft was out of stock after the sale). Luckily the annual bonus check showed up just in time. I already had the Medium Shoulder plane, so I went from 1 LN to 6 in a week. Or I will when the orders come in.

By the way, that Model 100 is wonderful. I picked it up as a 'what the heck' item to use on easing or rounding edges but I'm finding more and more uses for it. I was finishing up a desk Saturday and must have used it at least 7 or 8 times for various tasks.

Cliff

John Miliunas
03-11-2007, 6:34 PM
Nice score. I brought home the LA Jack and it impressed me so much (so THAT'S why God invented hand planes!) that I decided to add a few more. So I picked up the #85 scraping plane and the Model 100 Model maker's plane (unfortunately after the sale) and ordered the LA smoother and 60 1/2 block (Woodcraft was out of stock after the sale). Luckily the annual bonus check showed up just in time. I already had the Medium Shoulder plane, so I went from 1 LN to 6 in a week. Or I will when the orders come in.

By the way, that Model 100 is wonderful. I picked it up as a 'what the heck' item to use on easing or rounding edges but I'm finding more and more uses for it. I was finishing up a desk Saturday and must have used it at least 7 or 8 times for various tasks.

Cliff

Wow, you scored BIG time, Cliff! Good for you on the "alleged" new pieces (no pics????:D ). Any-the-who, how do you like that 85? I'm kind of tossed between it and the 112, though my buddy tells me the 85 is a bit easier to handle, as it's not as wide. Comments? :) :cool:

Cliff Polubinsky
03-11-2007, 7:03 PM
I originally was going to get the 112, but after thinking about it I decided the #85 was better for what I was looking to do. The thing I especially like is that with the #85's full width blade and tilting handles, I can scrape right up flush to a vertical surface, say like with an inset panel. Of course, normally the panel should be scraped before gluing in, but there are times I've caught something after asssembly I missed and this gives me a second chance.

I've only tried it on some scrap as I'm in the middle of the finishing stage of a project, but right out of the box it made some lovely fine curls.

Cliff

Bruce Page
03-11-2007, 7:10 PM
4X Sweet! :)

Charles Grosjean
03-11-2007, 9:47 PM
By the way, that Model 100 is wonderful. I picked it up as a 'what the heck' item to use on easing or rounding edges but I'm finding more and more uses for it.
Cliff

I picked one up on a whim during the Woodcraft sale too and it's the greatest little thing. I had been looking at the Collins "Bunny Plane" for a while, but am glad I waited for the LN, it fits the hand so well.