PDA

View Full Version : Another old job (pics)

Ben Grunow
03-09-2007, 9:31 PM

Here is a house that we finished in the fall. We started by removing all pipes, wires, ducts, siding, windows and flooring, oh and the roof. The rest was uphill. About a year of work for 7 carpenters as every joist and stud (yes really was sistered with a new one, all LVLs for the joists). THis was done to avoid the long process of applying and obtaining a variance from the town. The homeowners would have preferred to tear the house down but the variance would have taken forever and who knows what they would have been allowed to build so we "remodeled" it.

We did demo, foundation, framing, cornice/siding, porches and interior trim as well as mudroom built ins and cabinet installations (except kitchen). Everything was painted on site with brush/latex and finish is nice and flat. Old time painter has mastered latex to the point where it looks like oil.

Cupola has 8 sides and flairs out about 12" at the bottom. It was fun to buld but there were some crazy compund angles where the walls met the roof slope (curving outside corners of walls coming down on sloping roof). THen came the shingles. I could shingle forever. A plane and hammer and maybe the jigsaw. What fun.

I used the festool saw to make all of the tapered columns on the front and back porch. THe rear columns are 8' long and taper about 3" as they go up. THe festool was much easier than making a taper jig for the TS especially given the fact that the columns are all made from 3/4" PVC sheet goods. A little heavy and flexy to run on the TS plus I got to get the Festool for the job.

I built the mudroom cabinetry and lower stair landing, including the flat panel posts (there are structural steel columns inside them) and curved lower step, on the job. Flooring was 12" caribean (sp?) pine and was actually really hard.

Antoher really nice, young couple and lots of fun. She told me today that she thinks she wants to do another but she hadnt told her husband yet. I'm not holding my breath.

Hope you like it.

Ben

Charles Wilson
03-09-2007, 10:21 PM
It really would have been a shame to tear down that house. Looks like you did a nice job. Congrats.

Regards,
Chuck

Corey Hallagan
03-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Excellent Work Ben! It's a beautiful house!

Corey

Ben Grunow
03-10-2007, 9:53 PM
Thanks guys. It almost seems rediculous to summarize an entire year of wood work (maybe not turning or cabinetry or furntiure, but hands on wood all day every day) in 5 pictures and a couple of paragraphs. We have moved on and jobs get forgotten. Its not until you revisit a job after some time that you realize what you have accomplished. For me anyway.

By the way the cupola, front and back porches and the wing to the left of the main house were additions (and there were no shingle swoops or exterior details of any sort) its all new.