PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments......

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2003, 12:42 PM
Well, another weekend has come and gone.

Got lots of shop time this weekend. Worked on some "roundie-round" stuff as well as a chest-of-drawers and some pen turning.

My Performax 16-32 crapped out on me this weekend. I took it apart and narrowed it down to the power switch. I have e-mailed WMH Tool Group to see if they can send me another switch. Just when I needed it, it had to go and crap out.......Well....being he Ex-Electrician that I am, I worked around it for now. ;)

Tonight, I have to start cutting 100 dovetails for the drawer boxes.

Best of weeks....

Noah Alkinburgh
12-15-2003, 1:00 PM
Nothing but trouble....

Wake up Saturday go to take Wendy and kids to the store and confirm that the transmission in our van has decided to take what appears to be permanent vacation for Christmas. That discovery took the ol' wind out of my sails and I didn't go to the shop cause I knew frustration and power tools don't mix.

Sunday I woke up to snow, rain, and ice. Went to the basement and decided to start off with just some hand tools so I took to scaping my mom's christmas present to assemble. It went great...felt good...looked nice. UH-OH...I stacked up the six sections of the hexagon pedestal to carry up stairs and notice one piece is badly twisted and another doesn't look healthy. Try a dry fit up...not looking good...go to tighten band clamp...its all twisted up spend next 15 minutes untangling strap...get it around. Its a no go. Starting from stratch on mom's present with only a few days left...no car to get me anywhere...couped up wife and kids. GREAT!

Did manage to start the new present...seemed to be going well. Started to notice some errors in cutting around 10pm...decided to call it a night.

Never thought I would say this, but thank goodness its Monday.

Jim Becker
12-15-2003, 1:29 PM
Went to a great folk concert on Friday night by a local female singing group called No Windows...a fellow local woodworker is the leader of the band. She and her partners in crime sounded wonderful and the new CD (the reason for the concert) is just great.

Saturday included a trip to a local wood supplier for some figured maple stock so I could move the Shaker clock along. Picked up two boards; one of birdseye and one of tiger. $72 (!) later I was on my way back to the shop. I decided to use the birdseye for this particular project iteration and prepared the panel for finishing. I got a nice coat of BLO on all the components before stopping for the day--we had dinner plans with friends for that evening and had a great time chowing down on a really good meal.

Sunday was snowy and rainy as Noah indicated...pretty disgusting, actually. No matter...projects beckoned after I got the wood stove going in the house, a nice latte in my system and let the electric units get the shop comfortable for work. The remainder of the day was spent shellac-ing various clock components, buffing some turnings in preparation for the BTW meeting on Monday night and completion of another turning that's been waiting on the shelf for it's final cut on the outside and the finish to be applied. That bowl is shown below and features some texturing around the rim that I did during our local AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) chapter's "Hands on Weekend" in July. HOW is an educational experience where local turners provide one-on-one or one-on-two training in some particular task in exchange for a donation to the club. Jill Biros (http://www.heartwoodturnings.com/) was my mentor for that weekend and it was a great time.

Oh...the rim was textured with a Dremel tool and then burnt with a torch.

Mike Evertsen
12-15-2003, 1:55 PM
no shop time,,finshed christmas shopping and bought a truck not a new one a '95 dakota,,,,I have to get in shop and finish the recipe box and 4 window cornices before christmas,,,,today I order my christmas present a grizzly 6" jointer,,,,,,

Dick Parr
12-15-2003, 2:34 PM
I spent a couple of hours each day in the shop. I got the face frame, doors and crown molding installed. The shelves are also done so I’m almost there! This should give the wife some extra space to store small appliances and free up other cupboard space in the kitchen.

Scott Coffelt
12-15-2003, 3:15 PM
Got snow and ice late last week and then 6" of snow Friday night. SO, worked inside much of the day except for some time to get out and enjoy the 4x4 with all the dummies that don't have 4x4's. I love it this time of year when you drive by those people that have the sports cars and low riders... you know the ones... the ones that have the stereos a blasting in the summer with that thump thump music. Anyway, I just drive by and wave... always think I should roll down the window and ask if the 15" subs give more traction, but decide they are probably packing something anyway (maybe their own drawers as they slide around).

Anyway, got some turning done. These are all Xmas presents. The Cocobola bowl was my first ever attempt at a square edge. It was going great until the very end and a chunk came out of one edge. I decide to slightly round the edge instead. I will give it another try, but it was definitely a learning experience. Keep in mind, I have a Cheap A$$ lathe (Ridgid) and Cheap A$$ tools (Delta 8 Piece set). I plan to one day start upgrading the tools one by one or at least a good set like Crown or Sorby. Anyway, I think they are pretty good considering. I still tend to leave the edges thicker then the better turners here. Pretty much self taught on this or least some input from fellow forum folks.

The other bowls are Bocote, Brazilian Cherry and Zebrawood. I really like working with Cocobola the best. Finally, the finish is just stick wax and Crystal Friction Wax.

Sunday we took the 4 year old sleding and that was a blast. Spent the rest of the day just being a Veg in front of the TV.

Enjoy!!!!

Steven Wilson
12-15-2003, 3:32 PM
Well, I'm enjoying the 60000 BTU kerosene heater in the shop, get's the place fairly warm in a hurry; just have to remind myself to wipe off every piece of metal once the temp climbs above 52F. I've been working on a Walnut sewing thread (spool) holder for my wife. Fairly simple design but I decided to try hand cutting dovetails for it; only have 14 joints to fit up. The bobins for my wife's sewing machine seems to be 6mm instead of 1/4" so I've had to make 112 2-3/4" long 6mm dowels. I use 1/4" dowels (cut to 12" long) to start, then lightly trim them with a LN spoke shave (nice little shave) and then pound them through the LN metric dowel plate. This is a great way to work off some aggression and get some useful shop work done at the same time.

The dovetail pins are cut, still need to finish chopping them, and I'll start in on the tails probably tonight. Hopefully I'll have it done by the end of the week.

Jim Becker
12-15-2003, 4:02 PM
The Cocobola bowl was my first ever attempt at a square edge. It was going great until the very end and a chunk came out of one edge. I decide to slightly round the edge instead. I will give it another try, but it was definitely a learning experience.

A little trick that Steve Worchester demonstrated at the 2002 AAW symposium in Providence RI was to surround the square blank with waste material during the turning process. He used poplar for his demonstration. Once the whole thing is made into a round shape appropriate for the project, the waste material is trimmed off and the turning is sanded and finished. Since there are no square edges during the actual turning... :p

John Miliunas
12-15-2003, 4:02 PM
Didn't get nearly all done, that I had planned. :( I did get some more boxes unpacked, tools hung on appropriate walls or put away in drawers. Mounted another light fixture near the BS area. Friend came over and we figured out which way I'll need to go for hanging the Hot Dawg, but didn't get it up yet. Got some temporary heat setup. Watched the ball game Sunday, celebrated my daughter's birthday and got the LT16 setup and tested. Still need to do a bit more tweaking there. Have a great week all and hope everyone gets all their Christmas shopping done (or made....!) :cool:

Eric Sanford
12-15-2003, 4:20 PM
I got a little shop time in over the weekend. Applied some coats of finish I needed to do prior to assembly of the display case cabinet. Also worked on the door, including putting together a spline cutting jig. I hope to wrap this project up by the end of the week so I can deliver it!

Bob Lasley
12-15-2003, 5:18 PM
Had a fair amount of shop time this weekend in between Christmas parties. Made good progress on the five music/jewelery boxes. Boxes and lids are glued up and the sanding process has begun. I've got the base trim milled but it still has to be attached. I have yet to start the dividers for the interiors.

Noah, somedays it just doesn't pay to get out of bed..........but do it anyway because you can never tell which kind of day it's going to be and you might miss a good one!

Turnings and cabinets look great folks.

Have a great week all,
Bob

Chris Padilla
12-15-2003, 5:51 PM
What's with all the bad weather and coldness everyone is talking about?? Just a bit windy here...high 50s/low 60s....

:D

Chris :cool: