PDA

View Full Version : The Abyss Has Swallowed Me Up

Christopher K. Hartley
03-09-2007, 6:36 PM
Alas, I have finally fallen headlong into the deep dark abyss. I placed my Robust order today for the 25 X 28 American Beauty with bed extension, Outboard Turning Attachment, Vacuum Setup, Tilt Away Tail Stock, Comfort Rests, Casters and the Bowl Steady Rest. I have been collecting all the necessary items like chuck, Jaws, Live Center, Vacuum pump and accessories plus a bunch more... just a good thing the wood is free. Now the long dark fall into time.:)

Jeff Towle
03-09-2007, 6:43 PM
Congrats!

I've been eyeballin' your Jet on the classified board, trying to convince SWMBO that I need to have it. :rolleyes:

Jeff

Jim Becker
03-09-2007, 7:07 PM
Congrats on your lathe order! I'm looking forward to the "tour" of the machine once it arrives.

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2007, 7:10 PM
Wow Chris!! Congrats on the lathe! Looking forward to lots of pictures of the new baby!

Pete Jordan
03-09-2007, 7:12 PM
It looks like a great machine. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Chris Barton
03-09-2007, 8:23 PM
Sounds like a dream come true Christopher! I have looked at both the Robust AB and the Oneway 1224 as replacements to my Jet VS mini. I bet you'll love it.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-09-2007, 8:34 PM
Congrats Christopher! But.....there ain't no bottom to the Abyss....where do you go from here?:confused: :rolleyes:

Christopher K. Hartley
03-09-2007, 8:47 PM
Congrats Christopher! But.....there ain't no bottom to the Abyss....where do you go from here?:confused: :rolleyes:I'm already discovering there is tons more to go...hollowing rig...coring system...more tools...DOES IT EVER END????!!!!!EEEK!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Christopher K. Hartley
03-09-2007, 8:49 PM
Congrats!

I've been eyeballin' your Jet on the classified board, trying to convince SWMBO that I need to have it. :rolleyes:

JeffIf you want to come take a look just PM me and we'll set it up. Hope it works out for you!:)

Dennis Peacock
03-09-2007, 8:56 PM
Congrats on the lathe order. Can't wait to see some pics of the new setup. :D

Keith Burns
03-09-2007, 9:21 PM
Congrats Chris !!!! No since in holding back !!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Congrats Chris. Boy talk about pulling the trigger on the big gun. You fallen so far into the abyss buddy there ain't even light at the end. I'm happy for ya.

George Conklin
03-10-2007, 12:48 AM
Wow! Just went to the Robust website to see what you are going to get. That lathe is plumb gorgeous! When do you get to pick up your new tool?

Bob Hallowell
03-10-2007, 1:02 AM
Wow, Chris that s quite the lathe! Congrats and have fun!

Bob

Ernie Nyvall
03-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Alas, I have finally fallen headlong into the deep dark abyss. I placed my Robust order today for the 25 X 28 American Beauty with bed extension, Outboard Turning Attachment, Vacuum Setup, Tilt Away Tail Stock, Comfort Rests, Casters and the Bowl Steady Rest. I have been collecting all the necessary items like chuck, Jaws, Live Center, Vacuum pump and accessories plus a bunch more... just a good thing the wood is free. Now the long dark fall into time.:)

DANG Chris... how about the recliner attachment. Wohoo man. This is great! Congratulations!!!! Can't wait to see some pics. When does it come in?

Andy Hoyt
03-10-2007, 11:56 AM
It aint mustard!

Yahoooo!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm just guessing Hoyt.....You eat catsup on your hot dogs and hamburgers too......don't you?

Nancy Laird
03-10-2007, 3:11 PM
Congrats Chris on your new toyl. Now to see some production!

Andy, it's about time you came back! Where you been?

Nancy

Andy Hoyt
03-10-2007, 3:42 PM
I'm just guessing Hoyt.....You eat catsup on your hot dogs and hamburgers too......don't you? Shame on you, Ken. I would never defile a perfectly good hot dog with catsup - or ketchup. And mustard is a dirty word in this house, so don't even go there. :D

Been right here, Nancy. I'm saving up keystrokes for a big whoop de do later on. :cool:

Mark Pruitt
03-10-2007, 4:06 PM
It aint mustard!

OR?.......

Christopher K. Hartley
03-10-2007, 5:01 PM
Eleven weeks, six days, 2 hours, 14 minutes, 34 seconds...Oh what to do! Well, I decided to work on my Vacuum System today and made some good progress I do believe. I'm making it to mount to the lathe. I don't have the hoses and wiring hooked up yet but this should give an idea. Any Ideas appreciated. It is one of those $89.00 Gast 0523 pumps from "some surplus place" on the web. Then there is a few items to compliment the "Beauty". Actually without them she wouldn't be much good. One day in and I'm already itching to get my hands on her. By the way thanks everyone, I will do plenty of pics when it arrives.:)

Barry Stratton
03-12-2007, 12:30 PM
WOW!!!! This has to be the GLOAT of the year!!! :eek: :eek:

Great for you Christopher!!!!

Mike Turkley
03-12-2007, 1:11 PM
I'm already discovering there is tons more to go...hollowing rig...coring system...more tools...DOES IT EVER END????!!!!!EEEK!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Congrats on your new Robust lathe Christopher but need I say it? New Truck!!!!

I just pulled the trigger for a new truck today.:eek:

The vortex pull continues...

MikeT

Mike Turkley
03-12-2007, 1:23 PM
Mark Pruitt,

Let's not say the Mustard word too much or Andy will go into hiding again.

Mustard!

Oops, let that one slip.:D

MikeT

John Miliunas
03-12-2007, 3:09 PM
Wowza, Chris! Right to the top you go! One heckuva' lathe. A friend of mine got one of the original Robust 16's. Beautiful piece o' machinery, indeed. Can't wait for the grand tour of yours! Congrats, man! :) :cool:

Belinda Barfield
03-12-2007, 3:50 PM
Congrats!!! I'll be keeping my eye out for some

OAK . . . OAK . . . OAK!!!

Is that a good wood for turning? See, I have so much to learn before I can follow you guys. It's a good thing the abyss is bottomless or I'd be afraid it'll fill up before I get there - which ain't gonna be soon. :)

Christopher K. Hartley
03-12-2007, 9:15 PM
Congrats on your new Robust lathe Christopher but need I say it? New Truck!!!!

I just pulled the trigger for a new truck today.:eek:

The vortex pull continues...

MikeTCool Shoot us a pic when you get the "Bowl Blank Hauler"! Congrats!:)

Christopher K. Hartley
03-12-2007, 9:17 PM
Mark Pruitt,

Let's not say the Mustard word too much or Andy will go into hiding again.

Mustard!

Oops, let that one slip.:D

MikeTGo easy guys.:rolleyes: Mustard is to Andy as Kryptonite is to Superman!:eek: :eek:

Nancy Laird
03-12-2007, 9:19 PM

Is that a good wood for turning? See, I have so much to learn before I can follow you guys. It's a good thing the abyss is bottomless or I'd be afraid it'll fill up before I get there - which ain't gonna be soon. :)

Belinda, I know that lots of people turn oak, but I intend to wait until I'm a lot more experienced to try it. It's a very open-grain wood, easy to get catches and blow-outs in. Closer grained wood is much better...or so I've heard. I have yet to turn anything larger than a pen, but I do know that tulipwood, zebrawood, and olivewood have open grains similar to oak and I've blown out several pens on those woods.

Now for furniture, oak oak oak is the best, IMHO. Almost every piece of furniture in our house is oak.

Just my .02.

Nancy

Christopher K. Hartley
03-12-2007, 9:21 PM

Is that a good wood for turning? See, I have so much to learn before I can follow you guys. It's a good thing the abyss is bottomless or I'd be afraid it'll fill up before I get there - which ain't gonna be soon. :)Some really don't like it or advise it but it's ok for them to feel like that.;) They can be wrong if they want too!!:eek: :eek: :D :D I have just the blank waiting until the "Beauty" gets here!:)

Allen Schmid
03-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Chris, wow, I am really interested in your take on the Robust. The company is just a few miles east of me and I have always wanted to take a ride over there, but have only seen the website. Looks like a great machine. Enjoy it!
Allen

Andy Hoyt
03-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Go easy guys.:rolleyes: Mustard is to Andy as Kryptonite is to Superman!:eek: :eek: Actually, it's more like:

.... as Bizarro World is to Superman.

John Miliunas
03-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Chris, wow, I am really interested in your take on the Robust. The company is just a few miles east of me and I have always wanted to take a ride over there, but have only seen the website. Looks like a great machine. Enjoy it!
Allen

Hey Allen, don't know if you're familiar with the Badger Turning Club or not but, John Nicholson, the former President of the club, is the one I mentioned having the 16" Robust. He's already invited me to check it out sometime. He lives over by Springfield Corners. If interested, I could probably set something up for a "grand tour" of John's unit. :) :cool:

John Chandler
03-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Congratulations on your new lathe and hope you don't go too stir crazy waiting for it. I liked what I saw on their website and am looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it after you get it and have been able to turn on it. Way to go.

Allen Schmid
03-13-2007, 4:52 PM
Hey Allen, don't know if you're familiar with the Badger Turning Club or not but, John Nicholson, the former President of the club, is the one I mentioned having the 16" Robust. He's already invited me to check it out sometime. He lives over by Springfield Corners. If interested, I could probably set something up for a "grand tour" of John's unit. :) :cool:
John, not sure if this is the proper place to reply, but yes I would be very interested in that. I am actually just east of Blue Mounds(just outside of Verona). I certainly enjoy this sawmill creek forum and all you guys who are so willing to give useful hints and suggestions. What a great group. I have been in the shadows for a few months.
Let me know what way would be the easiest to contact you. I have been turning a year or so but have not made the progress that I see by others on this forum. Even still it is such a great past time and a great way to spend unwind. Looking forward to your response.
Allen

John Miliunas
03-13-2007, 5:09 PM
John, not sure if this is the proper place to reply, but yes I would be very interested in that. I am actually just east of Blue Mounds(just outside of Verona). I certainly enjoy this sawmill creek forum and all you guys who are so willing to give useful hints and suggestions. What a great group. I have been in the shadows for a few months.
Let me know what way would be the easiest to contact you. I have been turning a year or so but have not made the progress that I see by others on this forum. Even still it is such a great past time and a great way to spend unwind. Looking forward to your response.
Allen

Allen, sent you a PM response to your PM. :D We'll definitely get together on this one! :) :cool:

Christopher K. Hartley
03-13-2007, 6:37 PM
Allen, sent you a PM response to your PM. :D We'll definitely get together on this one! :) :cool:Guess you guys can make pests of yourselves with Brent keeping me updated on the progress of Beauty. Oh, the thought that you may get to see her before I do.:( Oh well, that's life in Texas. At least you can go by once in a while so she doesn't get lonely.:D :D

John Miliunas
03-13-2007, 6:44 PM
Guess you guys can make pests of yourselves with Brent keeping me updated on the progress of Beauty. Oh, the thought that you may get to see her before I do.:( Oh well, that's life in Texas. At least you can go by once in a while so she doesn't get lonely.:D :D

LOL! Hey, there's an idea! But, if we do, you understand that you'll need a little extra time cleaning Beauty up, don't you? (I'm pretty sure drool leaves rust-like stains! :eek: ) :D :cool:

Christopher K. Hartley
03-13-2007, 7:07 PM
LOL! Hey, there's an idea! But, if we do, you understand that you'll need a little extra time cleaning Beauty up, don't you? (I'm pretty sure drool leaves rust-like stains! :eek: ) :D :cool:As long as they arn't Mustard stains I think I could live with it!:D :eek:

John Miliunas
03-13-2007, 7:17 PM
As long as they arn't Mustard stains I think I could live with it!:D :eek:

Naw...I usually just have raw onion and ketchup on my brats! I'll try not to drizzle any beer on it, either! :D

Seriously, I'm thinking I'd like to check this out. If'n I (or we) do, I'll be sure to bring a camera along! Maybe give you a preview or two! :) :cool:

Christopher K. Hartley
03-13-2007, 7:39 PM
Naw...I usually just have raw onion and ketchup on my brats! I'll try not to drizzle any beer on it, either! :D

Seriously, I'm thinking I'd like to check this out. If'n I (or we) do, I'll be sure to bring a camera along! Maybe give you a preview or two! :) :cool:You're on my friend!!:)