PDA

View Full Version : Last project til next fall

ron hill
03-09-2007, 5:54 PM
Just finished the file cabinet and desk today. I won't have any shop time until next winter. Have to go out of state until May and then I'll be fishing every spare moment.
The desk and cabinet were made using QSRO and the drawers with birch ply. The drawers are made using rabbits, glued and nailed. I used Accuride bearing slides on the file cabinet and epoxy coated slides on the desk. Wished I would have used ball bearing slides on everything and I think that is how I'll do everything else in the future. The shelf above the tower was supposed to be a pull out but I bought the wrong hinges which only open about 110 degrees. I hadn't even give a thought to the shelf interfering with the door. Ended up with a removable shelf. I used pocket screws for the door and the face frames and glued those to the carcass. The tops are 5/4 milled to 1 1/16" and everything else is 13/16". I used a composite plywood for the carcass and I'm not sold on that stuff yet. It is more uniform in thickness than than regular ply. Nothing fancy but it should hold up until the LOML decides we need a change in style.

Joe Chritz
03-09-2007, 6:57 PM
What finish process did you use.

I like the looks and I am planning a bookcase (library really since it is 9'6" wide) with QSRO for a raised panel side and face frame.

The looks of you desk has me excited to finish the kitchen project I am doing and get started.

Joe

chris fox
03-09-2007, 7:14 PM
Nice work, I just finished up a lateral file(white oak)that I need to post sometime. I used BLO and briwax, unique combination but it turned out well.
Do you have any venting out the side or back panel for the CPU?

Chris

ron hill
03-09-2007, 8:09 PM
For a finish I used a blend of Red Mahogany & medium oak stains that I had left over from another job (see pic) and then 3 coats of a post cat laquer.
I drilled two 3" holes in the back panel to run cords and for ventilation but I think I may have to add a fan as it gets pretty warm inside when the door is closed. Most of the heat is coming from a wireless router.

James Manning
03-09-2007, 9:36 PM
Ron,

Excellent work on both the desk and the wall unit, I really like the wall unit and I have to build one for my new plasma tv. I will be looking at your unit for ideas.

Thanks for posting..........:)

Paul Johnstone
03-11-2007, 6:11 PM
That's a really sweet wall unit, but how come you haven't stuffed the shelves full of crap yet? In my house, it's not even an hour before a new shelving unit gets stuffed full.

Bruce Page
03-11-2007, 6:52 PM
Nice way to finish up your wood working season!