PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna need a bigger box

Zahid Naqvi
03-09-2007, 4:12 PM
I had been on the lookout for a mortise chisel and finally lucked into a Hirsch on a 24 hr auction. Can't believe how massive this thing is compared to the Marples and Sorby's. Here's a proof of purchase to keep the pic police happy.

Got it for $12 :eek: , shipping was relatively high as $10 but I think I still came out ahead. Hardly ever used(as if that would make a difference to this beast) in as good as new condition. So how did I do.

Wayne Morley
03-09-2007, 4:32 PM
You did v-well. I got a couple of them from Lee Valley they cost about $35 each plus shipping. They are nice tools. One of the first things that I did was to chop a 3” by 1 ½” by 2 ½” deep mortise in oak. They work great.

Jim Becker
03-09-2007, 4:39 PM
Nice score, Zahid! I have my eye to add one or two of those to my tool box one of these days...I hope I should be so lucky to find such a great bargain...

Of course, and as you point out...you need a bigger tool box...off to the shop with you!

Greg Cole
03-09-2007, 5:01 PM
I think you will be VERY happy with it. I have the 4 piece set in A2 steel and LOVE them. I was just posting about hand chopping today and how much faster I am by hand than with a DP mortise jiggy thingy.
Some dislike the big handles, but I am tall and have big enough paws so they are just right (for me).
One tip for hand chopping & cleaner cuts-mortise sides is to run the chisel on your final sharpening medium (be it paper, stone etc) every so many swings of the mallet. I find I don't have to try to kill the chisel with a mallet as the chisel is never "dull", and when you do a full sit down sharpening its not like you have to re-grind the primary bevel etc. Keep them sharp and you will be amazed at what you can mortise without a mallet as well.
I REFUSE to say what I paid for mine as shipping was more than your purchase price... NICE SCORE.

rob nolin
03-10-2007, 10:50 AM
LOL that pic was the first smile of the day, thanks!

Wes Bischel
03-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Zahid,
Nice addition to your box.
Your title quote has been haunting me - I knew I heard it somewhere before - well sorta. It dawned on me this morning - "We're gonna need a bigger boat.":D :D

Can't wait to see what you make with your new acquisition.

Wes

Terry Bigelow
03-10-2007, 11:48 AM
You still came out on top, I got mine locally for $30-$40(each, from small to big) and I too love mine. Makes quick work of mortises especially big'uns! Nice score.

Dusty Fuller
04-13-2007, 4:53 PM
That is one big chisel... I've got one and it was a little awkward at first, but you get used to it. I had to make a bigger mallet...