PDA

View Full Version : Talk about kickback!!!

Don Farr
12-15-2003, 11:29 AM
I just thought I had experienced kick back in the past. Well, Saturday afternoon I had removed my TS guard (bad idea) to rip a 1/2 sheet of 3/4" plywood for a TS sled that I'm building. When that was finished, I grabbed up a piece of 2x4 that needed about 1" cut off of it. I still don't know what happened but that little end piece came off the saw like a rocket. It hit with such force that it shattered into small pieces.
What did it hit? My full face shield that I had on. Thank God for Jim Becker and others on this forum that are always stressing the need for safety. Even my safety goggles would not have helped on this one.
I hate to think what the out come could have been without that face shield.
Saftey first everybody.

Dan Bussiere
12-15-2003, 11:37 AM
Don,
Thank God you weren't hurt. Every time we think we've heard enough about safety, something happens to remind us that we haven't. At least this time there was a happy ending.
Dan

Peter Gregory
12-15-2003, 12:29 PM
I grabbed up a piece of 2x4 that needed about 1" cut off of it. I still don't know what happened but that little end piece came off the saw like a rocket.

I don't crosscut anything on my tablesaw if I can help it. That is why CSMS were invented. If I have to use the TS, I use my crosscut sled.

I also use my bandsaw to rip before the wood is square and true.

No problems with kickback anymore. I stopped doing the things that cause it.

Don Abele
12-15-2003, 1:24 PM
Don, glad to hear you are all right. That could have been nasty. I was cutting some thin molding for a stem-ware shelf I built a couple of weeks ago. As the piece would clear the blade, the cutoff would come winging off it and throw it all the way to the other side of the shop. No idea why it would do it, but would only happen occasionally. Luckily I was off to the side of the saw making the cuts anyway. I stopped after the first time and reevaluated what I was doing and couldn't find anything wrong. As in yours, my #1 rule in the shop is safety first. Not only for my protection, but it would be professionally embarrasing to have the boat's Doc wind up in a Navy mishap report.

Be well,

Doc

Mark Singer
12-16-2003, 1:18 AM
If you are crosscutting let the small piece be on the free end of the blade...not between the blade and the fence! It will get trapped and shoot back. Always stand to the side. Try to crosscut on the bandsaw or miter saw or sliding compound saw. "Board Buddies"(available through most supply outlets) are excellent when you rip. The wheels only turn one way. Rember to push the work piece allthe way through the blade. The table saw can be dangerous but once you know the principles it is quite safe. The bandsaw is a good alternative if safety is in question.

Lee Schierer
12-16-2003, 9:49 AM
Glad you are okay. I'm sure that your safety gear will be even more important to you now.

A couple of things that may have caused the kickback. First, were you using a zero clearance insert? If not you should get one. On the stock throat plates, the gap is too large next to the blade and short cut offs can tip against the blade when cross cutting and the blade can fling them. They usually come back at you accompanied by a loud noise, quickly followed by LOML poking her head intot he shop to saw what was that. DAMHIKT.

If you were cross cutting between a fence and the blade, don't do that on pieces tat are less than 8-10" wide and at least twice as wiide as the are long. Use the miter gage for cross cutting. Never cut free hand.

Don Farr
12-16-2003, 12:36 PM
Glad you are okay. I'm sure that your safety gear will be even more important to you now.

A couple of things that may have caused the kickback. First, were you using a zero clearance insert? If not you should get one. On the stock throat plates, the gap is too large next to the blade and short cut offs can tip against the blade when cross cutting and the blade can fling them. They usually come back at you accompanied by a loud noise, quickly followed by LOML poking her head intot he shop to saw what was that. DAMHIKT.

If you were cross cutting between a fence and the blade, don't do that on pieces tat are less than 8-10" wide and at least twice as wiide as the are long. Use the miter gage for cross cutting. Never cut free hand.

Thanks Lee, I think you nailed it. I have a zero clearance insert but had removed it and put the factory one on, because I wanted the blade tilted to about 15 degrees and thought the zero clearance would bind the blade at that angle. It did exactly like you said, a loud pop and came back like a bullet.
It got my attention for sure.