PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite method for wood drawer runners/slides??

Jerry Olexa
03-09-2007, 4:12 PM
At risk of stirring the pot, I like to use all wood construction for the drawers and runners when building better furniture. In the past, I've used center runners and for my next project,I'm considering side mount strips or grooves. Its probably Triple the time but I like the look/feel of all wood in the finished product. What is your favorite method for hanging drawers in an all wood fine furniture application. BTW, I do use the metal slides in other high use projects. I'll look forward to your ideas/suggestions...Thanks

Tom Jones III
03-09-2007, 5:25 PM
Hands down NK style drawers. Very easy to build, very easy to make it slide nicely. Looks great.

Here is a post I wrote when some people were asking what NK style was:
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42799

Jim Holman
03-09-2007, 7:18 PM
The carcase is divided into drawer spaces with let in web frames. These act as the support and the kicker. I glue strips along the web frames to guide the drawer and restrict lateral movement. Finally I glue runners adjacent to the bottom of the drawer sides making the bearing surface at least an inch wide. All parts and frames are solid wood. Slides like a charm

glenn bradley
03-09-2007, 8:33 PM
Web framed piston-style or side slides with the slot in the drawer side and the rail on the interior of the carcase..

Fred Voorhees
03-09-2007, 8:37 PM
I like to use all wood for my drawers. I'll be doing that again for the six drawers in the platform bed that I am currently building. One little thing that I do with my drawers in a situation like this comes from a tip I saw somewhere in a magazine years ago that I have tried and have liked how it has worked over the years. I glue lengths of that clear plastic corner protector that you apply on outside drywall corners (so they don't get nicked up) to the bottoms of the sides of my drawers. I use hot melt glue and this works real well. The plastic glides very easily on the wooden runners. All you need to do is provide for the extra 1/6th or so that the plastic builds up the height of the drawers

Jerry Olexa
03-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Hands down NK style drawers. Very easy to build, very easy to make it slide nicely. Looks great.

Here is a post I wrote when some people were asking what NK style was:
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42799

Thanks Tom. Good tutorial on how to do. I'd be a little concerned about the joint between the sled and the box. I suppose the glue would handle it but its really IMHO a butt joint. Anyway, I'll try and thanks...

Jerry Olexa
03-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Jim, Glenn and Fred...Thanks. I'm thinking of going back to the center runner and incorporate some of your ideas. Thanks for your thoughts...I've also heard of plastic strips for under the drawer to ease the glide. Of course, wax helps when needed..