PDA

View Full Version : voices over my 'puter

Fred Voorhees
03-09-2007, 3:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone else has had this phenomenon. For a few weeks now, not often, but occasionally, I have been on my computer and I will have some kind of voice transmission come over my speakers. I am right next to a major highway and I am thinking that it's probably someone on their cell phone. Could this be? I can never really make out what is being said, mainly because it comes up so randomly and unexpected. By the time I try to hear what's being said, the event is over. Is this kind of thing unusual?

Glenn Clabo
03-09-2007, 3:26 PM
Fred,
I hate when I hear voices and nobody else does. :eek: I hope it's Elvis...he's been driving me crazy lately. :mad:

Sorry...it's the end of a long week.

Joe Pelonio
03-09-2007, 3:27 PM
Do you have a wireless network card or adapter in that computer? if not,
it could be this:

Belinda Barfield
03-09-2007, 4:02 PM
Don't go into the light Fred! Turn away. Turn away.

THEY'RE BAAACK!:eek:

David G Baker
03-09-2007, 4:26 PM
Fred,
It is a normal thing to hear voices over equipment that has a speaker attached. If someone keys his CB radio outside my house I can hear portions of the conversation through my electronic door bell speaker. If it becomes a problem using shielded wires can help in some cases.
If a radio station transmitter is near your location the same thing can happen.
Once in a while I would pick up transmissions from wireless baby monitors on my cars FM radio.
When you start hearing voices when you aren't near any equipment it is time to start worrying.
David B

Jim Becker
03-09-2007, 4:45 PM
Both of my computer audio sound systems tend to pull, umm...."stuff"...off the air, ranging from the cell phone searching for a signal to other interference. Some comes from the radiated signal and some comes via the power lines. If you have someone nearby using amateur radio, "corporate" radio or CB radio, it may be strong enough to do what you describe.

Aaron Koehl
03-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Just taking a stab at the low hanging fruit--

Do you have AOL instant messenger or some such?
AIM has video and audio banner ads now which throw some folks off.

Michael Gibbons
03-13-2007, 12:19 AM
My neighbor who also works at the same plant I do has a C.B. in his van and I can hear him as he goes by my house,but only for a few seconds as he turns the corner.

John Miliunas
03-13-2007, 9:06 AM
Fred, probably just strong signals from mobile CB, cell or FM transmitters. OTOH, if they start to answer YOUR questions, be afraid. Be very, very afraid! :D :cool:

Jim Becker
03-13-2007, 9:45 AM
Do you have AOL instant messenger or some such?
AIM has video and audio banner ads now which throw some folks off.

Yea...exactly the reason I use Trillian. Not only do I get multiple IM systems in one client, but I get no ads. Those audio/video clips in the AOL client love to fire up right about the time you're on an important conference call or something like that... :mad: