PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice on miter saw

Bob Noles
03-09-2007, 2:02 PM
I am looking to purchase a hand miter saw to add to my shop for the times I need to make a quick occassional cut without dragging out the big power saw. I have been looking at the Nobex brand and wondering if it is a good saw or not. I need light weight (under 20 lbs) and if possible a compound MS would be even better. Accuracy and good cut are a must. I really don't want to do a refurb on one of the older units not the heavy weight.

Any recommendations y'all can offer would be much appreciated.

Roger Bell
03-09-2007, 9:53 PM
I have several miter boxes, including two Stanleys, a Langdon and a Nobex. My wife does serious-amateur picture framing and uses the Nobex primarily and occasionally a Stanley 358. I use a Stanley 460 (a manly tool if there ever was one) and a smaller Goodell Pratt pre-Langdon in the woodshop. In picture framing, we use the miter-saw for rough cutting and then take the stock to the Lion miter-trimmer. You could also use a shooting board and hand plane, if your work requires that level of fastidiousness.

If you simply must have an easy to use (i.e. "power tool like") compound feature then the Nobex Champion is the one to look at. The Nobex is also lightweight.....which, in my mind, is a negative rather than a positive. You don't want a mitersaw moving around on you....which the Nobex will do unless stabilized. So if you go that way, mount it on a cabinet grade ply board, place a cleat on the front and on one side of the board and clamp it to the bench-corner. That is a must. So as you saw the unit is pushed toward the back of the bench and is held by the cleat and the clamps. Even then, the Nobex exhibits a "tinniness" that I don't particularly care for. They are aluminum rather than cast iron. The one I have is accurate. As are the vintage units.

The other advantage to the Nobex is that you can get a variety of (interchangable) blades for it, much like a hacksaw. These are non-resharpenable. They are held in a tensioned frame, like a hacksaw. And since they are so lightweight, it takes longer to perform the same cut....even with an identical tpi because you don't have the weight of a real saw running on ball bearings working for you. The Nobex also lacks the smooth operation of the higher-end vintage units. I think the Nobex is fine for very slight, small dimensioned mdf store-bought framing stock, but insufficiently robust for cutting real wood....but you be the judge, you may think differently....my wife does....she prefers the Nobex. I also added ply "extension wings" on the Nobex....as you might for a power CMS. You can even get fancy, I suppose and do t-track and flip-stops.

I would also recommend removing the handle from the Nobex and buying a two dollar older vintage handsaw with trashed, pitted metal but with a decent-feeling handle. Take the handle off, and put it on the Nobex. You can slice up up the metal and maybe make scrapers. The Nobex plastic handle really stinks and you will grow weary of it pretty fast.

Nobex makes a cheaper unit, called the Pro-man, I think. Less capacity, fewer features, cheaper price.

If you start looking for vintage miter boxes, the higher end Stanleys and the Langdons are the ONLY ones worth considering. These always come with quality, Disston saws. A "fair" price is around $50 or so. But I have seen many for considerably less.....(its not like they are in huge demand). I am not sure how much the vintage ones weigh....probably around 25# or so....less with the saw removed....depending on the model. They are no trouble at all to move around the shop. I keep mine on a top shelf and move down to the bench as needed. Most of the lower end vintage stuff is just that........

Sorry...I must edit this post. .....

I didn't mean to imply (or that you should in any way infer) that my opinion and preferences were superior to or more cultivated than my wife's....she is, after all, always right. Yes, indeed......she recommends the Nobex.

Bob Noles
03-10-2007, 9:49 AM
Roger,

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. You have given me a lot to think about, especially going against your wife :eek:

I will ponder the information you have provided and hopefully it will allow me to make a much more informed decision.

Ryan Cathey
03-10-2007, 1:23 PM
I can go ahead and tell you it would be difficult to find a vintage miter box that weighs what you want. The Stanley A-358 I found (look it up in the archives...it's a nice read if I do say so myself) weighs 23 or so pounds with the saw and it was made of aluminum for the sole purpose of being lighter. I would still suggest a vintage miter box, but that's just me.

-Ryan C.

larry cronkite
02-26-2010, 8:43 PM
I am looking to purchase a hand miter saw to add to my shop for the times I need to make a quick occassional cut without dragging out the big power saw. I have been looking at the Nobex brand and wondering if it is a good saw or not. I need light weight (under 20 lbs) and if possible a compound MS would be even better. Accuracy and good cut are a must. I really don't want to do a refurb on one of the older units not the heavy weight.

Any recommendations y'all can offer would be much appreciated.

Bob
I'm in the market for a better than plastic miter box and I came across this post.
What miter box did you get and are you happy with it?
Larry
PS: Are you going to be in Louisville in June or aren't you that Bob Noles?

Bob Noles
02-27-2010, 2:50 PM
Bob
I'm in the market for a better than plastic miter box and I came across this post.
What miter box did you get and are you happy with it?
Larry
PS: Are you going to be in Louisville in June or aren't you that Bob Noles?

Hi Larry,

I ended up getting the Nobis miter saw and have been very happy with it. Great fo a quick cut without dragging out the big guns and making a mess.

I have no business in Louisville so there must be another me running around out there in the world :eek:

I see you are over in Mableton just a hop, skip and jump from Hiram :cool: