PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0480 10" jointer

Dan Lee
03-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Good morning
Anybody have any experience with this jointer. I've have been looking at the General and Oliver 10" also.
I like the 10" cause it will handle 99% of my needs and doesn't consume as much space (major consideration) as most 12"s and theres a pretty big price jump to get into the 12"s
Thanks
Dan

Ted Miller
03-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Dan, I needed to move up from a 8" and I looked at the Oliver 10" up close. I did not know General had a 10" jointer, I know they have a jointer/planer 10". I looked at the General, Griz, PM, York, Steel City and the Delta. Wanted hand wheels over levers with 4 knives and after checking these all out in person I went with York. All were pretty similar and built pretty much at the same plants. General and Delta was way overpriced. I was so ready to buy the 10" Oliver but the York had the extra 2 1/4" for the same price. So I went with the york 12". If you can get by with 10" I would not hesitate to get the Oliver, is was a well made machine, quiet, no vibration and heavy. When I was looking they were $1800.00...

Howie French
03-09-2007, 2:45 PM
what about this grizzley 12", it's priced less then the grizzley's 10"

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0609

Dan Lee
03-09-2007, 4:11 PM
Thanks guys
Ted:
Thanks for the input on the Oliver. Did you notice if there is an internal chute to direct shavings to the dust port?
I have a call in to Griz cause looking at the G0480 drawings in the manual there doesn't appear to be any sort of chute so I wonder how effective collection is.

General has a new 10" jointer looks similar to the Oliver but according to my tool store it also ships with a non optional horizontal mortiser which I don't really want.

Howie:
Possible but as I said space is limited and this one may be to big

Ted Miller
03-09-2007, 4:41 PM
Dan, I do not recall asking or really looking into the chute itself except to see that it was 5". Now this model I saw up close was the older 4240 with the controls on the front below the right bed. The newer chute on the models with a power head above the table seems a bit different. So maybe they did improve on the function on the newer machines...