PDA

View Full Version : Kelton Hollower tools

roy knapp
03-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Kelton has a 3 piece set of hollowing tools 5/16, 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4" they allso have the handle to hold these tools.

I know that this setup is for free hand hollowing and from what i have read and heard you can start off with these tools once a center hole has been made in the blank ( say 3/4") is this true? and has anyone had any experience with these tools.

I had the 5/8" tools in mind and donot plan on going any deeper than 6".:confused: :confused:

Don Orr
03-09-2007, 12:42 PM
I have two sizes of Kelton Hollowing tools and like them very much. I have some others as well but seem to go to these more. Free hand hollowing is very different than using the captured rigs. The 5/8 shaft set should be reasonable out to about 6" depth. Much deeper and you would want bigger. All this is IMHO of course.

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2007, 3:44 PM
I have the Keltons in 5/16" for small work and the 5/8". I had the Sorby's and the small Pencil unit but these are the ones I keep going back to. I really like the way you can hog wood and then shear scrap it smooth with the same tool. I sold the others.

Darrell Feltmate
03-13-2007, 10:37 PM
I just finished a couple of hollow forms, one in very dry and very cracked apple wood (about 8" deep x 6" across x 3/16" thick, I think) and one in spalted birch (about 7" deep x 6" across x 3/16" thick). I have home made hollowing tools and am very plaesed with them. Most hollowers are scrapers on the end of a steel shaft and have a handle on the other end. How hard can this be? On the other hand I know people who love their Kelton hollowers and they are extremely well made and a very good company to do business with, or so the folks at the turning club tell me.