PDA

View Full Version : Coloring 5 Minute Epoxy

Perry Brock
03-09-2007, 8:31 AM
I saw a post about coloring epoxy somewhere in the archives but don't remember where.

I need some information on adding color to epoxy. What do I use that won't inhibit hardening ? Any info will be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

PLB

Belinda Barfield
03-09-2007, 8:53 AM
Not sure what type of epoxy you are working with; however, if it is polyester epoxy one source for colors is Braxton Bragg Corp (800 575 4401). No affiliation, I just use their products. Does your epoxy use a cream hardener? We have had no problems whatsoever with mixing colors with two part polyester epoxies. If one of the other members doesn't offer a quick answer for you, you might give BB a call. The sales staff is really helpful.

Mitchell Andrus
03-09-2007, 9:07 AM
I've found that (depending on the epoxy) oil based paints work quite well in small concentrations, but might weaken the epoxy. There are also tints available such as "Wizzard Tints" and analyne dyes, both available at Woodworker's Supply Co.

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/search.exe

Perry Brock
03-09-2007, 9:27 AM
Thanks for your advice. I like to use Devcon 5 Minute epoxy. It's a 1 to 1 ratio 2 part with both parts of the same viscosity and both crystal clear.

I am not sure of the base formulation but like the 5 minute stuff since aliens have run me out of duct tape.

Thanks,
PLB

Richard Rumancik
03-09-2007, 10:58 AM
I was researching coloring epoxy for inlay and found an article where the author suggested the following

ebony dust (shop made by grinding) for black coloring
graphite lubricant (powder) for sparkle appearance
Behlen dye powders
Universal tinting colors for paint

Also check out the West System article

http://www.westsystem.com/ewmag/21/pigments.html

I assume you want color for appearance and some loss of strength is acceptable. The biggest issue in this case is chemical compatibility. You want to make sure there is no adverse reaction (bubbling, crazing, loss of curing, etc.) The bottom line is that you must test whatever you select before using on your project/production as there are too many variables to generalize.

Allan Wright
03-09-2007, 1:30 PM
Fiberglasssupply.com carries epoxy pigments. I've used them in laminating resin in quantities enough to get good, but translucent, colors. I'm not sure how they'd work in 5-minute epoxy, but should be better than pigments not made for epoxy.

No affiliation, just happy customer.

Paul Proffitt
03-09-2007, 4:36 PM
I have used wood shavings and dust from various colored woods such as bloodwood, padauk, purpleheart, yellowheart, etc. but the color range is limited with natural materials.

The most fun I've had is in using Pearl-X pigments. You can find them at art supply stores (Sam Flax and Dick Blick's here in Atlanta) as well as sometimes in craft stores such as Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc. They are powdered pigments. They come in small jars for about $2+/- each or sets of 20 colors for $26 or even a larger set for maybe $60. They mix exceedingly well with epoxy and the colors look great. There are some small examples in items on my web site (in the shop) particularly in the spheres and Christmas ornaments (http://www.WhisperedImages.com).

I use the System 3 five minute epoxy because I normally only work with small quantities at a time. The quick set time is great because in ten minutes or so you can be working the piece with the hardened epoxy.

I've been told that some craft and hobby stores carry a variety of colors of powdered pigments similar to laser ink pigments, but have yet to find any locally. While the Pearl-X pigments are a little expensive, a little pigment goes a long way so they seem to last a long time. And, it is hard to beat the broad range of colors.

Dave Jones
03-09-2007, 6:27 PM
I just did a Google search and found this. Look at the lower left of the page:

http://www.svst.com/page4.html

Perry Brock
03-09-2007, 8:53 PM
Thanks guys. Many perspectives are better than one.