PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
03-09-2007, 8:22 AM
Friday March 9th, 2007

Cold, snowy mostly yucky week here. I did get the X-31 ready to rock and roll though. Got some more cleaning and then lookout. We have a warm up coming this weekend and into next week [we may be talking the 50's].

Not sure about my weekend, but I hope to get some shop time in. We'll have to see. Got to watch Nascar Busch and Cup races Saturday and Sunday from my old stomping grounds in Vegas.

So, how about your plans for the weekend? Shop, family, R&R, Tom foolery or????????????

What ever it is make it enjoyable, fun and most importantly SAFE?

Karl

Al Willits
03-09-2007, 8:37 AM
Probably learning how to build a boat quickly, its gonna be in the 40's and 50's for the next few days and the 20+" of snow I have in the back yard will probably melt and become a lake....:)
Dog will love it if nothing else.

Just bought 2 gallons of Varathane water based Polly, and will hopefully get the last storage cabinet pollied and done....whew!
What a battle this has been, but I've learned quite a bit doing them, and am looking forward to the kitchen cabinets with far less apprehension than before.

Also will continue cleaning the garage/shop and hopefully finish the last of the insulating and if enough time am going to make a roll around tool cabinet for stuff I'm using on projects...hoping to be able to find them that way..:)
Have a safe and well weekend all.
Al

Nancy Laird
03-09-2007, 8:38 AM
Gotta turn a few pens, work on doors for the window seat cabinets, clean up the shop, and just putter.

Don't forget to "spring forward" on Sunday morning!

Have a good weekend, all.

Nancy

Chris Jenkins
03-09-2007, 8:41 AM
Have to do some electrical work in the shop. Added some more lights a few weeks ago and now I'm blowing the breaker. I'm gonna divide the lights into two seperate switches and circuits. Also I have a light in the service room where the panel is, but it is connected to the lights right now. Quite pointless to have a light in a room that you can't turn on. So I'm moving that to a different circuit (prolly the sump pump since I know that cirucit is not even close to capacity)

Like to start building my outfeed table if I get time. And if I'm really good I'm gonna sneak some time at the lathe and try and turn either a pen, a small bowl or a shot glass (by request). I'll take anything at the lathe right now as I've been thinking about it all week, but that is as far as I've gotten.

Tyler Howell
03-09-2007, 8:46 AM
Headed to the new place

Gotta mini gloat for the new shop. Pix to follow.:rolleyes:
Ringing out old AC wire in the house and pulling new in the shop.
Maybe a creeker visit.
TTFN
TJH

Jack Ganssle
03-09-2007, 8:46 AM
Planning to finish assembling the new tools and take some pics for a "gloat!"

With luck will make it down to the sailboat tomorrow just to remember that summer will come, eventually, and to see some sailing friends.

Jack

Jim Becker
03-09-2007, 9:23 AM
It's my weekend for swimming and Karate duty, so my shop time will be limited or non-existent on Saturday. We'll also be having a family dinner out for a belated birthday celebration since I had to be away on business this week and missed the opportunity to have one on Monday when I hit the big "Five-oh".

Sunday, I hope to get back in the shop and work on completing the addition of my Bench Dog router station to the slider and some finishing work on the hall table and cherry mirror.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-09-2007, 9:40 AM
Saturday.....Finish turning those 12 knobs. Sunday.....well guys...I'll just say that turning back the clocks is going to keep me busy for several hours.....turning 'em back and then testing.

Nancy Laird
03-09-2007, 10:08 AM
No, Ken, you turn them FORWARD - remember spring FORWARD!!

Nancy

Ted Miller
03-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Its suppose to be 90 degrees on Sunday, this winter was short. I still need to finish my RAS/Miter station fence and working on the last workbench for my shop...

Karl Laustrup
03-09-2007, 10:25 AM
No, Ken, you turn them FORWARD - remember spring FORWARD!!

Nancy

Nancy got that right. You go backward and you'll spend a lot of extra time turning them back forward the right way. Understand????

If you do, could you 'splain it to me??????:confused:

Karl

Ted Miller
03-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Spring ahead, Fall behind...

John Viola
03-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Wife and daughters are coming back from Florida tomorrow so I have to pick them up at the airport. That means I have to clean the house up! My shop is a mess because I moved some things around (never satisfied with the layout!) AND I just got a new jointer, bandsaw fence, a plane and a couple of chisels. So I ahve to clean up the shop too! That's about all the time I'll get this weekend as I'll be catching up with all my girls!

Happy 5-0 to Jim Becker! :)

Mario Lucchesi
03-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Working on center island for kitchen, This will be the first weekend in months that it will be warm enough to work in the shop without freezing.

Tim Malyszko
03-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Unfortunately I have a wake to attend tonight, but Saturday, I'm taking a finishing class with David Marks at Woodcraft.

Greg Deakins
03-09-2007, 1:50 PM
I dont usually do anything different on the weekend than what I do on the weekdays, which is woodworking, oil painting, drinking beer, and playing with my pets... (and girlfriend). It is going to be warmer, so I may work on my truck restoration a little.

Al Willits
03-09-2007, 1:53 PM
Spring ahead, Fall behind...

Seems as I get older it gets much easier to fall behind and much harder to spring forward.....:D

Al

Bob Nelson
03-09-2007, 2:01 PM
SHOPPING!!!!!!

My boss called me in yesterday to talk about my annual bonus. I was figuring around $1-$2K. She said "You better sit down". After going over all the numbers (how much the company exceeded goals etc.) she said your bonus will be $13,202!!!

All the whole department has been talking about today is what we're going to buy.

Hmmmmm. Minimax and Festool come to mind.

Rod Sheridan
03-09-2007, 2:11 PM
I'm heading to Sarnia for the weekend to help my older brother install his 2HP Oneida and ductwork.......Rod.

Fred Voorhees
03-09-2007, 3:15 PM
Hey Karl. Like you, I'll be taking in the NASCAR NEXTEL event on Sunday, as usual, with a group of long time racing buddies in my bar room. I'm planning on doing some minor work on the current platform bed for my niece in the shop this weekend.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=53669

Did the brunt of the heavy work this past week so that the heavy stuff is out of the way before I have my left wrist operated on this coming Wednesday (carpal tunnel). After that, it might be a steady daily diet of watching the telly for a week or two before I try to get back in the shop to continue the bed project.

I'm having a visitor tomorrow AM. An old racing freind who has collaborated with me numerous times on certain historical projects within the sport. He wanted to bring his Dad to my abode to show him the bar room and my shop and he says that his Dad, for some reason, has something that he wanted to give to me. Have no idea what that is:confused:.

Other than that, I "may" try to visit a local lumber distributor that purchased the entire lot of air dried lumber from my former retailer.

Ted Miller
03-09-2007, 3:15 PM
Seems as I get older it gets much easier to fall behind and much harder to spring forward.....:D

Al

LOLOL, ain't it the truth, I just don't change my clocks then when I am late I tell everyone, "its a senior moment, lack of time", most of the time that works...

Joe Unni
03-09-2007, 4:53 PM
Putting a simple finish on a friends shelving unit as well as continued work on the padauk and maple table. Lot's of hand shaping!!