PDA

View Full Version : Audio/Video ?

Byron Trantham
03-09-2007, 7:44 AM
I was wondering if anyone out there knows the answer to this AV question. When using component connections (3 video 2 audio) and you want to also use an optical cable for audio do you keep the two audio cables from the component setup? Without the optical we get stereo and my receiver book implies that adding (in addition to the two current analog audio plugs) an optical cable I will have surround sound or 5.1. Does this sound right; the optical cable does not replace the existing audio cables it is used in conjunction with them?

Jack Hogoboom
03-09-2007, 8:45 AM
Byron,

I am a long way from an expert, but my understanding is that if you use the optical cable, you don't need the audio cables hooked up from your component video cables.

I was reading a magazine the other day that indicated that although HDMI is supposed to be even better than optical cable, the sound quality of the optical cable is still better because of problems with the HDMI signal. I guess standard 1.3 will change that, but we'll see.

I'm about the set up a HT and think I will rely on HDMI and see if I can hear the difference.

Good luck.

Jack

Byron Trantham
03-09-2007, 8:52 AM
Byron,

I am a long way from an expert, but my understanding is that if you use the optical cable, you don't need the audio cables hooked up from your component video cables.

I was reading a magazine the other day that indicated that although HDMI is supposed to be even better than optical cable, the sound quality of the optical cable is still better because of problems with the HDMI signal. I guess standard 1.3 will change that, but we'll see.

I'm about the set up a HT and think I will rely on HDMI and see if I can hear the difference.

Good luck.
Jack

Here is why I ask. I have been having problems with audio/video dropping out on my cable based system. I use HDMI cables throughout the system. the only source of problem is the set top box running HD. Last night I switched from DVD to cable and got a flickering message from my provider, Comcast, that HD TV is not supported via HDMI. What the heck, I pulled the HDMI and replaced it with component and what do you know a perfect signal! The problem is I now have stereo instead of 5.1. My receiver book indicated, though did not state specifically, the optical cable is used with the two audio cables in the component setup. I guess when I get my optical cable I can pull the two audio (analog) and plug in the optical and see what happens.

Al Willits
03-09-2007, 8:57 AM
Try a HT forum like Sound and Vision, some pretty sharp people over there.

http://forums.soundandvisionmag.com/

But I'd agree I thought the optical was suppose to replace the analog cable, but haven't got that far with my HT so I'm not sure.

Al

Dave Hale
03-09-2007, 9:46 AM
Bryon,

You're reading the manual correctly. the optical cable will replace the two RCA audio plugs. It's not an additive function, it's one or the other. You should see inputs on the receiver that allow both connections (ie DVD audio inputs, optical and analog). Most receivers will detect the optical and use it first, or you may have to define the 'order' of detection. Either way, the best testing setup is to remove the RCAs to ensure you know you're getting the optical signal.

You will also have to 'tell' the output device you want to send an optical signal. I have usually seen that option listed as a 'digital out' output option. Not very often do they list the option as 'optical out'. :)

Optical can send Stereo, Pro-Logic, DTS and Dolby Digital, all on the one cable.

Jim Becker
03-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Optical will give you all of the channels, assuming they are in the material and you have the devices set for them. (Many audio/video devices have an auto-sense selection that takes care of it for you...the Sony DVD/audio system I have does that)

Steven Wilson
03-09-2007, 10:20 AM
The two audio cables are an analog stereo signal from your component. The single optical cable (toslink) is a digital signal and can be stereo or various multi-channel configurations. In a digital setup the various components need to sync to a common clock and if they can't sync then they usually mute output because you don't want to hear the racket of an unsynced source. Anyhow, consumer digital devices don't have connections for a good sync signal and instead rely on reading the clock of the source. This can lead to problems. I have a similar problem (with Comcast no less) in that the digital optical audio feed from my monitor to my receiver rarely syncs up. I'm going to try and switch to using a coaxial digital audio feed instead (using an optical to coax digital converter) or possible try that Comcast HD settop box (errrrr). What's funny is that I've had an A/V recording studio for years and never have a sync problem in that every device that is hooked up is running off of the same world clock syc source and it all works as it should. Consumer gear is a nightmare