PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Service --Too Good

Doug M Jones
03-09-2007, 5:48 AM
I'm going to have to do some fast talking when I get home from work tonight. I went to my first turners group meeting last weekend and turned my first pen so naturally I pulled the trigger on a Jet Mini Lathe on Monday. It was on sale for $189 with free shipping. Since WW is a hobby, SWMBO and I agreed that I wouldn't buy tools until cash was in hand. Amazon indicated that it would be early April delivery so noooo problem, should have the cash saved by then. Just got on amazon to check something else and the lathe will be sitting in my back porch when I get home from work tonight, 5 days after ordering and with free standard shipping. Hmm, I see the bed extension has a 20% promo code and free shipping, might as well press my luck.:)

One other problem, the turners group placed a big order with Crafters Supply for a club discount and I ordered a starter set of tools. Now I'm gonna have a new toy and no way to play, can't even make a bonker.:(

Jim Young
03-09-2007, 8:47 AM
Maybe try to make something for SWMBO before she realizes you don't have the cash for the purchase.

Chuck Saunders
03-09-2007, 8:54 AM
Make her something , then comp the value of the turning, apply comp value to cost of lathe, show profit.
The slope only gets steeper from here.
Welcome
Chuck

Wayne Bitting
03-09-2007, 9:55 AM
Amazon did the same thing with my lathe. It wasn't supposed to ship until March, after tax returns were done. It arrived the second week of Janurary. I wasn't ready to pay that bill!

Sounds like you may need to buy some flowers for the wife!

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Doug - congrats on your new lathe!!! Have to figure that things happen for a reason and you getting everything sooner than expected must mean you are supposed to start turning right away!! Best of luck to you and be sure to post lots of pictures!!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Doug...Congrats on the new lathe! Word of advice, if I may?....Don't turn a bonker...the LOYL may figure out how to use it!:eek: :D