PDA

View Full Version : Tarnishing Brass ?

Tommy Emmons
03-08-2007, 11:28 PM
I have built a barrister book shelf and storage drawer section. I am looking for some small, subdued color, hardware for the barrister doors. All I can find is bright brass with a laquer finish. I thought I would remove the protective laquer and let the brass tarnish to a dark brown. Does anyone know a way to accelerate the tarnishing process? Thanks in advance. Tommy

Ryan Myers
03-09-2007, 12:19 AM
I have heard that oven cleaner will do the trick... although I don't have any personal experience with this. Another idea would be to rub the oils from your hands on the un-protected brass as this will definately start the process.

Eric Mims
03-09-2007, 12:53 AM
try fuming with strong ammonia, see if that gives you what you want.

Perry Holbrook
03-09-2007, 6:45 AM
There is a company called Rio Grande that sells supplies for jewelers. They have patina solutions for just about anything you need. You should be able to Google them.

Perry

Joel Ficke
03-09-2007, 7:53 AM
Ditto Eric's response. Ammonia fuming is how most antique reproduction houses add patina to brass.

ron hill
03-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Tommy, I used a brass darkening solution that I got from either Rockler or Woodworking Supplies. It works on brass or copper. I used it to match some drawer pulls that were no longer in production. The longer you leave it on the darker it gets. If it gets to dark you can remove it with steel wool and re-dip it. You must remove whatever finish it has on it before you start and then relaquer it. It worked great for me. Ron H

Lee Schierer
03-09-2007, 12:20 PM
I have built a barrister book shelf and storage drawer section. I am looking for some small, subdued color, hardware for the barrister doors. All I can find is bright brass with a laquer finish. I thought I would remove the protective laquer and let the brass tarnish to a dark brown. Does anyone know a way to accelerate the tarnishing process? Thanks in advance. Tommy

Mount all the hardware and put it on a Navy ship for just a couple of days out at sea! We used to have to polish brass daily to keep it bright and shiney! :D

Roger Fitzsimonds
03-09-2007, 1:06 PM
The only problem with putting it to sea would be the tarnish is green. I have polished a lot of turnbuckles on the life lines in my time in the Navy.

Roger

Tommy Emmons
03-09-2007, 1:13 PM
I am trying an experiment with the ammonia fuming method. I used acetone to remove the laquer coating and put some windex in bottle with the knob. Any idea how long I will have to let it fume before it start turning dark?

Eric Mims
03-09-2007, 3:49 PM
make sure the piece isn't in the liquid, only hovering above it. and I think it will take longer with such weak solution but might work.,. a 10 dollar jug of blueprint ammonia would probably work much faster if you're doing a bunch.

glenn bradley
03-09-2007, 4:02 PM
Or just go here and order what you need:

http://www.vandykes.com/

Tommy Emmons
03-09-2007, 7:47 PM
Thanks Glen. I found just what I needed. Problem solved.