PDA

View Full Version : Russian Olive vase

Curt Fuller
03-08-2007, 10:01 PM
This is a shape or form I've been thinking about in my head for some time. But when I finished it, it wasn't what I had pictured. It's 8" x 5", Russian Olive with Bocote collar. I'm not sure if it's the bocote that doesn't match well with the vase or if the collar is too wide or too fat or what. I would like to hear your opinions.

Pete Jordan
03-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Curt,

I don't know about the collar but the piece is stunning!

Jason Hallowell
03-08-2007, 10:11 PM
I think it's a beautiful peice, and I like the form and finish a lot. I think that the bacote may be a little too similar in color and grain to the olive, which may be what you're not liking.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Curt.........I really like the form, the finish, the detail on the lid/finial. The only thing I'd do different is use some other wood than bocote......some type of wood with more contrasting color and less grain contrast. Say walnut or ebony something with a darker more solid color to not detract from the beautiful figure in the Russian Olive.

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Curt I do like the form and finish of the vase. I think I would have maybe did a solid color wood such as walnut or maybe purple heart or ebony. Still a nice looking piece.

Nancy Laird
03-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Curt, I agree with Ken and Bernie that a solid collar would look better. As it is, each of the two elements detracts from the other, and it looks too "busy", at least to me. The two pieces clash, sort of like two different plaids. Put a solid collar on this one, and turn a solid form for the collar you have made. Then you'll have two gorgeous pieces. I really like the form on the vase.

Nancy

Steve Schlumpf
03-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Curt - beautiful form! Have to agree that the finial may be to much of a color match to the vase - still, great looking piece!

Jonathon Spafford
03-09-2007, 12:56 AM
For some reason I kinda liked the combo of woods... I really like the shape of the vase and it is a really excellent turning. I bet if you had put a piece of bloodwood or ebony between the two pieces of wood it would have cut down on the clash; but I wouldn't worry about it. I like the piece!

Neal Addy
03-09-2007, 12:59 AM
You must have had an ancient Grecian urn in mind when you did this. The collar fits in with that theme. The form of the vessel is absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful flowing lines and a grain orientation that makes the entire piece sing!

Exceptional work, Curt!

John Chandler
03-09-2007, 1:30 AM
I think you did a great job on it. The wood grain is good looking and I think the job you did on turning and finish is wonderful. I do agree with Ken, though - he said what I was thinking that instead of bocote, use a dark, mostly solid color wood. I also like the overall shape.

mike fuson
03-09-2007, 2:50 AM
Curt ,you can make anything look good.
I would have thought that it was the same kind of wood they look so close. It is all about the look that you were trying to achieve. Anyone would be happy to have this piece sittin' on a mantle. Nice job

Johnathan Bussom
03-09-2007, 6:43 AM
Curt,
Love the Russian Olive, beautiful piece and form IMO. Personally I could do without the collar, I even thought about it pictured inverted without the collar, but then it would be just another hollow form.

Like Bernie suggested maybe something like ebony for the collar, even if just a seperator lower ring on the collar to seperate the flows of the growth rings may have been more appealing to me but then I am just an amature at this but I do recognize your quality work!

John

Paul Andrews
03-09-2007, 7:22 AM
Curt,

Wow! A fantastic job of showcasing the grain in the olive. Beatiful form and finish. The bocote is another beatiful eye catching wood, and therein might be what is troubling you. As both woods are similar in that they are highly figured, each is trying to draw the eye of the viewer and therefore the potential for conflict.

Mark Cothren
03-09-2007, 8:14 AM
The form of the vessel is absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful flowing lines and a grain orientation that makes the entire piece sing!

Can't say it any better than that - SUPER work, Curt!

John Hart
03-09-2007, 8:28 AM
I love wood in general and love the way different types look together. Seems to me, that if you are decorating a room, then you need to consider solids with patterns for things like drapes and furniture.....but for Turned wood....all the standards are out.....at least in my book.;)

This form is awesome Curt. I mean really awesome. The combination of wood begs to be looked at and the form begs to be held. It is a delightful piece.

Hilel Salomon
03-09-2007, 8:36 AM
First of all, I wish I had your turning talent!!! The work is great. In glancing over the new threads, though, I do have an idea. In keeping with the several suggestions to contrast woods or colors that you've gotten, perhaps you might think of ebonizing the collar the way that the Jim Ketron finished his cherry bowl (see today's thread). That is if you really want to. Fact is that it is fine as it is.
Hilel.

Jim Becker
03-09-2007, 9:54 AM
The form is wonderful--John's "awesome" is appropriate!

I feel that the bocote isn't the right species for the collar, however...it lacks contrast with the body and the distinctive figure conflicts. Something like wenge, ebony (or ebonized "something") would probably work better.

Jonathon Spafford
03-09-2007, 12:04 PM
I feel that the bocote isn't the right species for the collar, however...it lacks contrast with the body and the distinctive figure conflicts. Something like wenge, ebony (or ebonized "something") would probably work better.

Isn't bocote supposed to get darker though? ... which would create a greater contrast.

Ron Ainge
03-09-2007, 3:58 PM
curt, I really like the shape of both the vase as well as the top you put one I think that if you put a ring of a darker wood between the two different woods they would not conflict with each other and your piece would stand out like you want it to. Just my opinion though.

Chris Barton
03-09-2007, 4:25 PM
Beautiful as always!

Curt Fuller
03-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the comments. I put this on a couple other forums and got a pretty unanimous decision that the spout doesn't cut it. One of those deals where I like it and can't figure out why nobody else does. I have to say that it did look better when it was horizontal on the lathe. When I stood it upright the collar looked too big. It's glued on but I might play around with it some and see if I can ruin it completely.

Keith Burns
03-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Curt, to my eye, at least the one that works:eek: , the form is perfect. I think the colar size works. I would not chance ruining the piece trying to cut it off.

Brian McInturff
03-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Curt,
I think if the collar was rotated slightly clockwise it would be perfect. The grain disorientation of the 2 throws off the collar. The grains would almost matchup perfectly. It's still a great form and I agree with Keith, I think everything is proportional. Brian

Christopher K. Hartley
03-10-2007, 6:02 PM
Kurt, this is a Knock-out!! WOW what a great job!!:eek: