PDA

View Full Version : Brad and Finish Nail Guns: What Minimum Size Nails

Jeff Wright
03-08-2007, 8:32 PM
I am deciding on nail guns to buy. With regard to the 18 gauge brad,16 gauge finish nail, and 1/4" staple guns, what is the MINIMUM size brads/staples each gun should handle? I am making furniture, built-in cabinets, and ????? Thanks.

Charles Wilson
03-08-2007, 8:42 PM
I know the PC 18 ga brad nailer that I have can handle a minimum of 5/8" and a maximum of 1 1/4".

I haven't used the finish nailer and the stapler yet.

Regards,
Chuck

John D. Thompson
03-08-2007, 9:14 PM
I am deciding on nail guns to buy. With regard to the 18 gauge brad,16 gauge finish nail, and 1/4" staple guns, what is the MINIMUM size brads/staples each gun should handle? I am making furniture, built-in cabinets, and ????? Thanks.

Hi Jeff,

Senco.

Sincerely,
John D. Thompson

Cary Swoveland
03-08-2007, 9:21 PM
I get by with an 18-gauge brad nailer and a 23-gauge pin nailer. A pin nailer is very handy--I use it all the time. I used to have a 16-gauge finish nailer, but never used it, so I gave it to my son.

Both of my nailers are Sencos, but I think there are lots of good nailers out there. I recall reading a review of brad nailers awhile back; I think a Paslode came away with top honors.

Note that some nailers are oil-less, others are not.

Cary

Jude Tuliszewski
03-08-2007, 10:02 PM
I have several, from cheap to not. The cheap is a HF $20 deal:) , and some times less when they have a sale going. It works well for general nailing such as backs and such, but no depth adjustment. It has a good range, ½ to 2 inch but the longer jam once in a while:( , but for the price you can’t beat it. One other is a PC. It works very well, good depth adjustment and no tool jam clearing (has never jammed). Takes 5/8 to 1 ¼ brads and is well made, a good alround nailer. As you go you will probably get several, as a lot of woodworks do, for different tasks. Finish nailers are thicker nails and in general longer than 18 gauge brads. It depends what you get into as to if you will want a finish nailer, but it is handy to have when you need or want a heavier nail, or if you do home fixer-upper stuff.;)

Scott Vigder
03-08-2007, 10:40 PM
This month's Woodworkers Journal (with Norm on the cover) tested pin nailers, and as a result of my being easily influenced I bought a 23-guage Grex.

I've been using my 18 guage PC, but for trim pieces it has a tendence to split my finely routed mouldings. By all accounts, the pin nails "disappear" and that's what will be handy for me.

It all depends on your application, a standard answer but still true. Are you using the nails to affix or hold while the glue dries?

John D. Thompson
03-09-2007, 12:13 AM
This month's Woodworkers Journal (with Norm on the cover) tested pin nailers, and as a result of my being easily influenced I bought a 23-guage Grex.

I've been using my 18 guage PC, but for trim pieces it has a tendence to split my finely routed mouldings. By all accounts, the pin nails "disappear" and that's what will be handy for me.

It all depends on your application, a standard answer but still true. Are you using the nails to affix or hold while the glue dries?

Hi Scott,

I don't know if you are aware of this but, The 18 gauge brad nails are chisel-pointed. If you look closely you can see that the blade of the chisel is oriented parallel with the body of the tool. If you orient the 'chisel' so that it cuts accross the grain, holding the body of the tool at right angles to the molding, you will reduce the likelihood of a split. In my experience, this 'chisel' is very effective.
The nails for the 16 gauge angled finish nailers have their 'chisel' oriented perpendicular to the body of the tool so, you have to hold the body of the gun parallel to the molding.

JDT

Randy Acton
03-09-2007, 5:10 AM

You are leaving the door wide open! Your work should dictate the gun you buy and not the other way round.

When building furniture I am a but of a purist, I don't want steel in my projects. When building cabinets I will use a stapler to apply the backs and since they are usually of 1'4" material anything that drives a 1/2" or better staple is fine.

Nail guns are best adept at installing molding, flooring, roofing. Great carpentry tools but keep them out of woodworking.

Jim Becker
03-09-2007, 9:44 AM
I have a pinner, brad gun, 15 guage nailer and a 1/4" crown stapler and they all get used where appropriate. I don't necessarily agree with Randy on keeping nailers out of woodworking as I have found my 15 gauge gun convenient for some tasks when building cabinetry--as a personal choice. That said, they are not "necessary" for this kind of work.

Ted Miller
03-09-2007, 11:08 AM
I am only using Senco right now but I have, 15 and 18 gauge finish brad and staples. I purchased the three pack of Senco guns at a show for a great price. I just got the Senco cordless 18 gauge and its awesome. With the guns I have I can use staples from 5/8"-2 1/4" and nails from 5/8"-2 1/2". So I have it all covered...

glenn bradley
03-09-2007, 11:54 AM
I've got a 16 that will run to 2 1/2" but it doesn't get used mach except on shop cabinets or other rough type stuff. Shortest I've run in it is 7/8". No problems. My pinner is 21 which I prefer to 23 for a little more size. If you do a lot of trim work or small stuff I'd go 23.

David Giles
03-09-2007, 1:11 PM
The 18 gauge nailer runs out of nails first. It seems to be the workhorse. The 23 ga pinner is very useful for small trim jobs. I also like the 1/4" stapler for cabinet backs and anything made from hardboard or thin cheap plywood. The next step up is a 15 ga gun which works well for door frames and attaching wood wall panels. It has considerably more holding strength than a 16ga and they both leave a big hole. Then there's that PC mangun for nailing 2x4s together.

By redefining cabinets and trim as non-woodworking, you can maintain a purist position to the hobby and still enjoy the convenience of power tools.

Jeff Wright
03-09-2007, 3:36 PM
By redefining cabinets and trim as non-woodworking, you can maintain a purist position to the hobby and still enjoy the convenience of power tools.

David, sounds like a bit of a creative zinger there to a prior post! :)

Thanks for some clear straightforward info. I am thinking of getting the pin nailer (Grex with the 1 3/8 capacity), a PC 18 gauge nailer and a PC 1/4" staple gun.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. SawMill Creek is a wealth of information!

"Gary Brewer"
03-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Jeff: The only problem with the Grex is that it does not shoot 23 gauge slight-headed pins. They have a lot more gripping and sinching ( sp? ) power ( several times at least ). I was going to get the Grex last year until I found that out. The Cadex looks exactly like the Grex except the color, is also very high quality and shoots both the headless and slight-headed 23 gauge nails. I called the Grex USA distributor to find out and as of last year they couldn't use the 23 gauge brads (slight -headed ). IMHO The ability to use both types greatly increases the usefulness of the nail gun. FYI.
Gary