PDA

View Full Version : Nova Lathe

Virgil Jordan
03-08-2007, 7:11 PM
This is my first post to the forum, however I have been lurking for several weeks.I have read a tremendous amount in that time and all I can say is Thank You!! to all the contributers. There's an overwhelming amount of good information here shared very freely!!

About five years ago I lived in Chicago and bought a Harbor Freight lathe and took a stab at turning. I advanced far enough to turn out some pretty decent bowls( nothing compared to what I see posted here) and was really starting to enjoy it. That all ended abruptly when I became one of the thousands of victims of downsizing. With nothing to loose I packed up my wife and the parrots and moved to Florida. I built a new home,got a job at Wally~World and smiled a lot.

Since then there has been no time or money for any kind of woodworking. In the last three or four months I've finally got around to setting up my shop. When I set up the green monster I found that I got a real urge to take a beautiful peice of wood and spin it around in circles while I ripped it to shreds with a sharpened piece of tool steel!

That's what landed me here. I've decided to buy a decent lathe and I wanted to read the opinions of some knowledgeable people on what to buy.

I've pretty well narrowed it down to the Nova 16/44 or it's big brother the DVR XP. The factors I find most appealing are the swiveling head and there are very few complaints about quality.

As far as I can tell there are only two major differences in the two lathes. One has a belt drive you change manually, and the other has high tech variable speed drive. The other major difference is $1000!!!

I would greatly appreciate any opinions on the two lathes and particularly if the extra $1000 is worth it for the DVR.

Thanks in advance!

Pete Jordan
03-08-2007, 7:18 PM
Cousin Virgil,

I can't tell you about those lathes but welcome!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-08-2007, 7:19 PM
Virgil....Welcome to the Creek! There are a number of members here that turn on the Nova and I'm sure they'll chime in shortly!

Again....Welcome!

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2007, 8:02 PM
Virgil welcome to creek. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. My take on it is and it is in the minority is I will buy the Nova 1624-44. I can change belts for a long time for $1000. Also that $1000 will buy me a awful lot of nice tools to turn with on that lathe. If I were a production worker or making a living off this machine yes I would probably go with the DVR. Just my $1.298.

Dario Octaviano
03-08-2007, 8:44 PM
WELCOME!!!

Good choice but don't rule out Jet lathes. They are worth checking IMHO

Corey Hallagan
03-08-2007, 8:50 PM
Welcome to the creek!

Corey

Bob Hamilton
03-08-2007, 9:05 PM
Hi, Virgil:
I started out turning on a Delta 46-700 12" swivel head Reeves drive lathe and after about 12 years (and rebuilding the motor end of the Reeves drive 3 times) I finally upgraded to a Nova DVR about a year and a half ago. I really like my DVR in comparison to the old Delta, but these are the only two lathes I have ever used so I can't really say how it compares with other lathes in the same price bracket.

The DVR headstock is the motor, so there is no vibration or power loss due to belts and pulleys. I can stand a pen on end on top of the headstock and it will stay there while I start and stop the lathe. It is very smooth and quiet. I have been very impressed with it since I bought it.

Take care
Bob

Keith Burns
03-08-2007, 9:26 PM
Welcome Virgil !! Great place to hang your hat. I don't have either lathe but have turned on the VS Nova. It is a great machine.

Kevin McPeek
03-08-2007, 11:25 PM
My only complaint about the Nova is the stands for them, so I designed my own stand. I really like my XP, but you kind of have to when you sink that money in. It's got plenty of power even at low rpm. Its smooth and quiet and generally just a joy to work with. I wouldn't want go back to changing belts for every speed. Now VS and just having to change for ranges isn't bad though. Very few Nova owners dislike their machines, at least that I have come in contact with.

George Tokarev
03-09-2007, 7:57 AM
I've pretty well narrowed it down to the Nova 16/44 or it's big brother the DVR XP. The factors I find most appealing are the swiveling head and there are very few complaints about quality.

As far as I can tell there are only two major differences in the two lathes. One has a belt drive you change manually, and the other has high tech variable speed drive. The other major difference is $1000!!!

I would greatly appreciate any opinions on the two lathes and particularly if the extra $1000 is worth it for the DVR.

Thanks in advance!

From experience, the 16/44's predecessor, called the 3000 is an excellent lathe. It has good slow end speeds for roughing, which is what you need for out-of-balance work, and it's the same swing as the high-tech DVR.

I don't count continuously variable as a "must buy" because I find I can cut well at any speed, and would rather not fling a piece around at high rpm and increase the kinetic energy available to harm me. Takes perhaps 30 seconds to change the speed, I do it once at the most for all my turnings (360to680), and I count it as nothing in an hour's work.

Only negative I have seen to the DVR over other continuously variable types is that it uses optical feedback for speed control, making aggressive dust collection mandatory.

Any of the commercial "comes with" stands is inferior to the more useful types you build to suit your circumstances. Nice rigid cabinet out of sheet goods on mine makes sand storage unnecessary.

Hilel Salomon
03-09-2007, 8:53 AM
Hi Virgil,

Welcome. I started off (in two shops -one in VA and one in SC) with a Vega and a Delta midi. I was ill for a while, but determined to move up the lathe ladder and got a powermatic for SC and an XP for VA. The reason I chose an XP over the standard Nova was that they advertised the idea that the computer would control torque and would provide more consistent power. I did build a sturdy stand and like the XP, but the truth is that for a few hundred dollars more, I think that the powermatic is superior. It has a great stand and runs on 220. You can't rotate the head but can move it to the end of the stand or-for extra sturdiness (????) to the middle. I'm just a little more comfortable with the PM, but the XP has been nice as well.
One feature that I like about the XP is that even if you forget to lower the speed, once you turn off the machine, it always starts at a lower predetermined speed (you can change it). It does call for a surge protector and if you want to change the standard 110 to 220 ( relatively easy with a kit you get from the Nova people) you would have to worry about surge protection.
If you are determined to choose the belt driven Nova one consideration is whether or not you would lose any torque in turning the head at 90 degrees. I really don't know, but have been told by turners who have my Delta that this would be the case with the belt configuration in the Delta.
Good luck whatever you decide, Hilel.

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2007, 9:08 AM
Welcome to the Creek Virgil! Lots of luck figuring out which lathe to get. Lots of good ones out there. I have a Jet 1642 and love it. Be sure to keep us informed as to what you decide on and remember we like lots of pictures!

Jim Becker
03-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Welcome, Virgil! Our parrots say hello to your parrots, too!

If you have the funds, the variable speed is absolutely the way to go in the long run. Sometimes a few RPM in either direction can make a big difference in stability and vibration when "resonance" is involved.

Lars A Stole
03-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Just a few points to add to the discussion so far:

For me, switching the DVR XP to 220v didn't require more than a screwdriver and about 5 minutes of time. (No kit involved; you just pull a jumper on the panel.) As for surge protrection at 220v, I made my own heavy-duty 220v surge protector for about $60 -- that took about 15 minutes once I had the key part that I bought online. There is a "how-to" on this and other topics over on the MSN nova group (http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners/).

You may want to visit the MSN nova group -- if for no other reason -- to browse through the galleries of photos of various Nova setups (stands, equipment, jigs, etc.). Then you can see more of the capabilities of the Nova's. You can also see some of the complaints that nova owners express to each other when they are not trying to persuade the non-nova turners of the world. ;) (E.g., no remote control, etc.)

Lastly, I would add that the powermatic is a great lathe (I've turned on one) for a great price, but I prefer my nova dvr for 2 reasons: (1) the rotating headstock is easy on your back and (2) the nova takes up less space once you consider that you can put it on a solid benchtop that has huge amounts of storage underneath. You can build storage under a powermatic, etc., but not to the same extent as with a benchtop lathe.

Lee DeRaud
03-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Followup question for the DVR owners: is it as noisy in person as it sounds in the videos on the Woodcraft site? I realize the sound will be different because the motor is actually changing speeds, but it sure seems to be louder than the fixed-speed/Reeves-drive lathes of similar horsepower.

(Note: I have not heard one "live", but I've seen other videos that gave me the same impression.)

John Hart
03-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Welcome Virgil. This tributary of the Creek is a great place...with some exceptional humans.

I don't know anything, so I won't offer any advice.

Hmmm...I wouldn't make a very good politician.:)

Reed Gray
03-09-2007, 11:32 AM
I have found the variable speed on my PM to be a luxury that now that I have it, I can't imagion being without it. As far as the sliding headstock vs the pivoting headstock, I don't think either has a real advantage. Having to extend the tool rest out more than standard on the pivoting headstock can lead to some vibration, but I don't think it is a problem on the higher end lathes. I think that the PM is a lot more lathe for a little more money. Do look at the Jet lathes, also. Good lathe for less money.
robo hippy

Andy Hutyera
03-09-2007, 11:40 AM
For what it's worth, I have used a Conover for years. I still love it and wouldn't trade it for anything because of its versatility. The lathe was designed by Ernie Conover and his father. The company was sold and remained in production for a good many years until production was finally abandond a few years ago. On my last visit to Ernie's shop he appeared to be converting to DVRs and thought highly of them. They are impressive lathes and I doubt that you would be disappointed with one. As for me, I'll stick with my Conover and if I were looking for another lathe, I'd probably look first for another used one. The one I am using now was acquired used from Rude Osolnik.

Bob Hamilton
03-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Lee: One of the very first things that impressed me about my DVR was how quiet it was in comparison to my old Reeves drive Delta. Again, I have never used another lathe to compare but it sure seems pretty quiet to me.

Take care
Bob

Lee DeRaud
03-09-2007, 1:32 PM
Lee: One of the very first things that impressed me about my DVR was how quiet it was in comparison to my old Reeves drive Delta. Again, I have never used another lathe to compare but it sure seems pretty quiet to me.Methinks I need to get the guy at Woodcraft to power one up...it may just be bad microphone placement in the videos.
On my last visit to Ernie's shop he appeared to be converting to DVRs and thought highly of them.Apparently so: he did the Woodcraft videos I'm talking about.

Rick Wize
03-09-2007, 1:58 PM
As I just went thru the process of looking at the Jet 1642 and the Nova DVR XP, I thought I would jump in.

I purchased a NOVA DVR XP from Woodcraft using the 10% sale which occurred last weekend (1999 discounted to 1799). After doing loads of research and reading as much as I could on the web, the decision boiled down to space in my shop. I had a JET 1236 and a Jet Mini (belt model, not VS). After changing the belts on the mini enough times, I really wanted a unit that did not require me to turn the machine off, change the belt and then turn the machine on again. Not to say it cannot be done effectively, its just that I felt I was spending too much time (and sacrificing the proper speed, instead of changing the belt).

I love the DVR XP. It is a great machine and unbelievably "smooth". I have found my turning to improve greatly with this machine and would recommend it highly!

Hilel Salomon
03-09-2007, 2:00 PM
[quote=Lars A Stole]Just a few points to add to the discussion so far:

For me, switching the DVR XP to 220v didn't require more than a screwdriver and about 5 minutes of time. (No kit involved; you just pull a jumper on the panel.) As for surge protrection at 220v, I made my own heavy-duty 220v surge protector for about $60 -- that took about 15 minutes once I had the key part that I bought online. There is a "how-to" on this and other topics over on the MSN nova group (http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners/) (http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners/%29).

/quote]
Hi Lars,

Thanks for pointing me (the one who says he prefers -slightly-the powermatic) in the direction of surge protectors for 220V outlets. Could you guide me (us) as to how you changed the XP to run on 220???? Also, if you Nova folks will allow it, I'd like to join that group. If it helps, I've got quite a few supernova chucks. Regards, Hilel.

Burt Alcantara
03-09-2007, 4:20 PM
My 1624 is about 2 months old. I got the Woodcraft special that included the G3 chuck. As this is my first lathe I decided to go with this particular machine by the "buy once, cry once" mantra. I would have liked the XP but could barely justify the price of the 1624.

I find the stand to be very stable and solid. I often lean on the headstock for leverage. Never moves.

I found that the worst noise was caused by improper tensioning of the belts. When they are too tight they make an annoying flapping sound. Let off the tension and you get a smooth sound.

My only complaint is getting the pulley door to close easily. The instructions to attach the door compartment requires Big Science since there are a couple of screws that are impossible to attach (at least for me). But I don't close the door tightly - it remains open a bit.

When I look at other lathes for under $1k I am very glad I bought the 1624.

Burt

Virgil Jordan
03-09-2007, 5:56 PM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome and all the good advice.

I got off early today and headed for the Woodcraft store. Nothing compares to actually seeing and fondeling the product you intend to buy. If there were no other considerations than wich is the " best " lathe I would have to vote for the PM with the Jet 16/42 a close second. I can now understand why so many people reccomend these lathes on this forum. I'm sure either one would last a lifetime, or at least until the Demons from the vortex convinced you that you needed a $5,000 lathe.

Having said that, I do have other considerations. Primarily space. The spot I have available for the lathe is not large enough for either the PM or the jet. At first I considered removing the water heater, but I'm almost certain the Minister of Finance would put the kabosh to that idea. That's why I really like the smaller lathe with the rotating head. I intend to build a weighted cabinet for it so I can mount it up against the wall. The rotating head will allow me to still do outboard turning if I ever need to without requiring access to either end or the back of the lathe.

As for the choice between the DVR or the 16/24-44 I'm 99% convinced that I'm going with the cheaper 16/24.I just can't justify the extra $1000 at this time. Besides, when I submit my proposal to the Minister of Finance I think it will be a whole lot more palatable. I may even get away without agreeing to allow any members of her family to come and visit!!! That in itself is worth a lifetime of changing belts to me.

Thanks again for all the help. I promise when I get my new lathe ready to go I'll post some pictures.

Bob Hamilton
03-09-2007, 9:06 PM
Another point about the Nova lathes occurred to me. Nova makes a rather unique vacuum adaptor to fit their lathes. It doesn't look like much and really isn't much, but it works quite well. It is simply a short piece of pipe attached to a bearing. The bearing fits inside the handwheel of the lathe. You attach your shop vac hose to the pipe. Make yourself a gasketed faceplate for the headstock side with a hole in the middle. Voila! Vacuum chucking!

I bought the vacuum adaptor when I bought my lathe about a year and a half ago, but I never tried using it until a couple of months back. I was pretty skeptical about its holding power, but I have been extremely impressed with it so far.

Of course, that screaming shop vac kind of negates the quiet lathe.... :)

Take care
Bob

George Tokarev
03-10-2007, 10:59 AM
I found that the worst noise was caused by improper tensioning of the belts. When they are too tight they make an annoying flapping sound. Let off the tension and you get a smooth sound.

Watch the other potential problem, that of moving the belt so the edge is rubbing the shoulder of the next stage of the pulley. Even when you set them properly and use the grub screws to secure the proper pulley relationship, it's easy to slide too far to one side without thinking with consequences in premature wear and perhaps even a joint bump to come through. I let the motor tension the belt for me, as I did on my old one. Sometimes it squeaks, and I have to tension a tad, but mostly the geometry and weight of the motor do the job.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-10-2007, 5:38 PM
Welcome Virgil! The Creek Welcomes you! So many good things have already been said so I will just say follow your heart, it will pay off in the end.:)