View Full Version : Oak Cradle Completed - link to pics!

Stephen Clem
03-08-2007, 4:21 PM
:D http://stephenclem.blogspot.com/ :D

I finally got the pictures of the cradle up on the blog. I completed it (minus finishing) 2 weeks after he was born. Not bad for my first real project...it's far from perfect but I surprised myself with how well it came out. I just hope I don't mess it up when I apply the finish. I'm waiting until he outgrows it to stain it. I got some General Finishes oil stain (testing Danish Teak, Salem, and Antique Cherry stains on scraps) and their Arm-R-Seal topcoat.

I've become completely engrossed with my new hobby. I love it! I've already got plans for a bookcase, queen size bed, and octagonal picnic table. I really need to find a good place to buy wood. I paid $190 at Lowe's for the 20.6 Board Feet of Red Oak needed to make the cradle. :eek: Since then I found internetlumber.com and bought a 20 Board Feet HobbyPAK of Choice Red Oak (free S&H) for $97.00. Much better, but is there a better place? Thanks, and enjoy the pictures!

Travis Hirst
03-08-2007, 4:26 PM
Let me be the first to say great job. You should be proud of both. Keep that kid on the board, looks like he could be pro by the age of one.:) :)

glenn bradley
03-08-2007, 4:33 PM
That is quite a handsom item . . . the crib ain't bad either. Great job. Thanks for posting the pics!

Bruce Page
03-08-2007, 4:39 PM
Very nice Stephen, Houston and the cradle both turned out beautifully. Be sure to give the cradle a good wipe down with alcohol to clean up any errant hand oil/finger prints before finishing.

Charles Jackson III
03-08-2007, 9:22 PM
Nice Cradle.

Ron Brese
03-08-2007, 9:30 PM
Surfing baby! Is that anything like that Dancing Baby? Nice looking kid with a nice place to sleep.

Ron

Neil Lamens
03-09-2007, 9:43 AM
Hi Stephen: Congratulations!!!

After a day of "shredding the waves", what a great place to rest in.

Jim Becker
03-09-2007, 9:45 AM
Nice work, Stephen!