PDA

View Full Version : SMC members set a new record on Monday

Bruce Page
03-08-2007, 3:24 PM
"Most users ever online was 817, 03-05-2007 at 4:21 PM."

Ted Miller
03-08-2007, 3:30 PM
I have noticed lately lotsa users at one time, especially in the WW and Power Tool forum...

Glenn Clabo
03-08-2007, 3:38 PM
There are still more visitors than members online most of the time.I wonder why?

Ted Miller
03-08-2007, 3:48 PM
There are still more visitors than members online most of the time.I wonder why?

Intimidation, most visitors feel they have nothing to say, don't want to be flammed for a dumb question or are just trying to find out some info. I have been on many and even owned a few Forums in my day. Trust me when I say this is one board that does not judge you on, experience, post count, newbie questions or age. This board really has some great people on it...

Barry Stratton
03-08-2007, 4:19 PM

Sometimes I'm in that category as I don't "automatically" log in....

Belinda Barfield
03-08-2007, 4:26 PM

I visited for quite a while before I decided to jump into the Creek. And boy, if I let my first post determine my future here I would have hightailed it for the woods! I do take full responsibility for that though. All of you were so kind in welcoming me, and have been so accepting of my frequent Off Topic-Off the Wall Posts that I almost feel at home here.

If any of you visitors are lurking out there, come on in. No one has drowned me yet, and I've been offered many a hand in welcome and in assistance out of the deeper pools of confusion. I love this forum and some of the folks here are starting to feel like old friends. (Can be dangerous I know on the Net!) For example, if I log on in the morning and don't see a post by Nancy Laird I wonder how she is doing. She has done loads to educate me in the short time I have been a member. I have had a delightful time exchanging quips with John over shootin' varmints and anticipating Ken's shaking of the head! And just this morning Phyllis Meyer decided to come and sit on my porch. I'm brewing a pot of coffee for her as soon as I get home.

Don't be shy. The waters here at the Creek are some of the warmest you will find.

Art Mulder
03-08-2007, 5:09 PM

I have come to believe that the vast majority of the population is not comfortable (Not skilled? Not experienced? Not selfconfident?) with writing.

Bruce Page
03-08-2007, 6:20 PM
I have come to believe that the vast majority of the population is not comfortable (Not skilled? Not experienced? Not selfconfident?) with writing.
A lack of syntax skill has never bothered me…:rolleyes:

Doug Shepard
03-08-2007, 6:29 PM

Every time I log in from work, I get numerous visitors from my IT and HR Depts following me in to keep track of me.:D

Jim Becker
03-08-2007, 10:53 PM
I just noticed that...wow! Growth big time!

Tim Wagner
03-09-2007, 1:53 AM
have come to believe that the vast majority of the population is not comfortable (Not skilled? Not experienced? Not selfconfident?) with writing. __________________
I'll second that, i own a board over at yahoo groups, and have a member who is dislexic. he is always afraid to post anything anymore. I literaly have to ban someone once a month, because without even knowing the case they continualy attack him for not using proper grammer.

if the two of us were walking down the street and someone, a stranger said something mean face to face they would be laying on the ground picking up there teeth.

I can't stand someone who judges someone else without even knowing the person.

Jim Young
03-09-2007, 8:45 AM
That would be 817 people not in their shop making stuff.

Jack Hogoboom
03-09-2007, 8:47 AM
Either none of us have jobs or, to put it charitably, we are "multitasking" from work. 4:15 is usually about the time I hit the wall at work....:D

Jack

Al Willits
03-09-2007, 9:03 AM
I'm wondering if there's just a bit of intimidation factor here, reading posts on many topic's seem to end up with people suggesting pretty high end stuff, maybe a bit to much for the beginner.
Still think a beginners section might be a way to get more involved, several of the other sites I go to have such a section fwiw.

Al

John Miliunas
03-09-2007, 9:26 AM
That would be 817 people not in their shop making stuff.

Well, sometimes I'm 1/2 guilty of that. However, the PC I use most is IN the shop!!! :D :cool:

John Miliunas
03-09-2007, 9:34 AM
I'm wondering if there's just a bit of intimidation factor here, reading posts on many topic's seem to end up with people suggesting pretty high end stuff, maybe a bit to much for the beginner.
Still think a beginners section might be a way to get more involved, several of the other sites I go to have such a section fwiw.

Al

I agree but, only to an extent. The reason I agree is, the possible feeling of "being intimidated". However, if these folks really take the time to go through some of the threads, they'll find that even the "high-end" members are most willing to come down to a level more comfortable for the "newbie". Having a "Beginners Section" may lend itself more to only "beginners" hanging out there and possibly sharing MIS-information! :( But, going along those lines, maybe something in the way of a more formal FAQ section might be useful. :)

I also agree that sometimes, often in tool recommendations, the "high-end" equipment becomes the main topic and many of those items are out of the reach for many. But even in those threads, there's usually someone or several folks who make suggestions to bring things back down a bit closer to Earth. I think that, when the more "experienced" members start to suggest higher end equipment, it's due to their having already stepped through several levels of lower equipment and their suggestions are made with the thought of buying "high" now, will end up saving more $$ later. Just MHO....:) :cool:

Mark Singer
03-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Sawdust ...sawdust everywhere ...and not a drop to drink:confused:

some famous woodworker said that

Mitchell Andrus
03-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Well, maybe it was due to the 214 browser windows I had open at the same time....

Mitch1, Mitch2, Mitch3... hey, it's a hobby.

Mark Singer
03-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Well, maybe it was due to the 214 browser windows I had open at the same time....

Mitch1, Mitch2, Mitch3... hey, it's a hobby.

mishigas craziness

Pronouced " Mitch e gas"

Glenn Clabo
03-09-2007, 12:00 PM
mishigas craziness

Pronouced " Mitch e gas"

This will work for most of that...

Al Willits
03-09-2007, 12:14 PM
"""""""""
I think that, when the more "experienced" members start to suggest higher end equipment, it's due to their having already stepped through several levels of lower equipment and their suggestions are made with the thought of buying "high" now, will end up saving more $$ later. Just MHO....:) :cool:
"""""""""""

I agree with that John, but I live in a middle class income world,and if most of the people I know had to start with a Sawstop, Festool and/or european slidling saws/whatever,they wouldn't even start.
My rough guess is you could spend well over 25k to outfit a garage/hobby shop with upper end equipt, and this for something you may or may not end up enjoying.
Most I know,buy good basic equiptment and work into a hobby.

Maybe I'm the only one on this forum who has to justify a 4k saw to his little women, if so just disreguard my ramblings, but I doubt I am.

I think some of the veterans here forget that in their enthusiasm to help us beginners reach woodworking nirvana...:)

Just a thought.....fwiw

Al

TYLER WOOD
03-09-2007, 12:23 PM
I am one of those who stepped in and was immediately recommended to save 2-3 grand for a lathe. That would take me about 5 years, I don't want to wait that long. Sometimes it is a little intimidating and frustrating trying to get people to recommend the better low end tools.

Although I did catch them on it one time. HEHEHE
new member posted what to buy, my post recommended a 300-400, next post save for a PM. Saw them coming!!! But hey they are just trying to get you to save your money in the long run, but some want and need the low end too.

Al Willits
03-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Tyler, remember the 60 day rule, if you can hide whatever it is in the garage/shop for 60 days before she see's it.....It's always been there....:D

Haven't figured the money missing out of the check book thing though....that's what stash funds are for....;)

Al...nice to see there's at least two of us...:D

Jim Becker
03-09-2007, 1:46 PM
Al, the overwhelming majority of woodworkers started on very basic mass-market tools...my first table saw was a Craftsman benchtop and that was in 1997. Most of us participate in these forums to learn first and then help others. What we have in our personal shops shouldn't matter in either of those pursuits nor should it be off-putting to anyone seeking advise. Folks who own Festool, Euro-sliders, Sawstop are no different in their willingness to help. In fact, the road they got there is likely paved with plenty of real experience that is useful to beginners and people who have non-Festool, non-sliding saws, and non-Sawstop equipment. This is a very robust and diversified community and it's so much better because of it.

Al Willits
03-09-2007, 2:15 PM
Jim, maybe I'm not being very clear, but I would never say there's a lacking of helpful people on this forum, lord knows with out this forums help, I'd still be making square boxes that you could use as rocking chairs.

Let me try again, what I am trying to say is maybe some of us beginners with limited funds or not wanting to spend large amounts of money on a new hobby would just like to ask questions about beginning equiptment.

Not be told that if they don't buy a sawstop, they don't belive in safety, or if the router they buy isn't a festool its gonna be the end of them....many fine projects are made on less expensive equiptment.
So of us (well two of us anyway) would like to know what they are.

Just my opinion, fwiw.

Al

John Miliunas
03-09-2007, 2:39 PM
Al, with all due respect (and I certainly DO respect your opinions!), I think that, in all fairness, if you look through the bulk of the tool recommendation posts, you'll see many folks pitching in with all levels of tools. I'm just taking a stab here but, I think that maybe you're focusing just a bit too much on some recent posts, which happen to include the likes of SS, Festool (particularly the Domino) and some fortunate folks with Euro sliders. True, the folks with tools like that are pretty adamant about the various safety and time-saving elements as they regard those particular choices. However, if you look past that, you'll truly find that recommendations run the gamut, from lowly HF lathes right on up to the multi-thousand $$ SawStops and Euro equipment. :)

While the upper end equipment is certainly out of reach for many, choices crop up for things in-between, as well. "Beginner" does not always constitute "cheap". I work part time at a WC store and there are numerous occasions where I suggest the least expensive alternative and people actually cringe and take offense to it. (Can't please everyone...) :rolleyes:

As it happens, I have what I consider to be some pretty decent equipment overall. BUT, I'd still like to upgrade some of them. Simply can't afford it at this point. However, just knowing what's out there, also helps me justify whether I should (need) or not even save for what I thought I might need! Just something to consider.

Most importantly, at all times, never consider reading posts about the high-end equipment and translating them to "snobbery" or "one up-man-ship". NOT the case here! Sure, folks are proud of a major piece of equipment like a SS, big MM slider, nice Laguna BS or high end Festool. Then again, others are equally as proud of a $25.00 flea market find, which turns out to be a beautiful Bedrock plane, which took them all of two hours to fettle and get working as nice as a recent LN! It's ALL part of the learning to be had out here at the Creek! :) :cool:

Jim Becker
03-09-2007, 2:48 PM
I'll add to John's comments, Al, that while there will always be "individuals" who occassionally provide a "limited point of view" in online forums (and elsewhere), the SMC community as a whole embraces questions about $200 saws as much as it does about $10,000 saws. (saws being just an example) Post your question. If someone provides what I've nicely termed a "limited point of view", just ignore it...

Frankly, that's how we've gotten to 15K+ members and into the top 100 sites (for traffic) on the Internet.

Calvin Crutchfield
03-09-2007, 3:22 PM
Another possible reason for lurkers is that this forum requires the use of first and last name. While I don't really agree with that, it could keep many from registering.

As for equipment. It is the same with any hobby. There are some that can afford more expensive equipment and those that can't. I learned a lot from a craftsman benchtop TS. I learned a lot from my first camera and I learned a lot from my first drumset. Even though I may have higher end versions of these intial items, it is execution that counts. There are thousands of ww's, photgraphers and drummers that are far better than I even with their entry level tools of the trade. If I could buy higher end talent rather than tools I probably would!

Al Willits
03-09-2007, 4:05 PM
"""""""""
Al, with all due respect (and I certainly DO respect your opinions!), I think that, in all fairness, if you look through the bulk of the tool recommendation posts, you'll see many folks pitching in with all levels of tools. I'm just taking a stab here but, I think that maybe you're focusing just a bit too much on some recent posts, which happen to include the likes of SS, Festool (particularly the Domino) and some fortunate folks with Euro sliders
"""""""""""

Probably right, I meant not to critize but to suggest, and like all my opinions/suggestions there meant to be just that, my suggestions/opinions.

Actually I hadn't given the Domino much thought, but it was posts that left me with the "if I/anybody spend less than max I'll/anybody be less than complete/unsafe/whatever" that I was thinking of, not that some people can afford upper end equipment.
At 59 I've long gotten over the, gotta have the best in the west, syndrome and work with what I have.

I posted this because I thought others might have the same thought, one did here and several woodworkers I know locally have the same or close to it opinion on spending money on a hobby.

I also agree its only a few posts, but enough that they caught my attention
Unfortunately it seems to be causing more trouble than it was worth....sorry.

fwiw, this is probably the only wood forum I frequent now, and I would not do that unless I thought there were some damn nice people on it, opinions may differ, but respect of another persons opinions seem to be the rule here, my hats off to ya all....:)

Al...who thinks respect is earned and not sure what he's done to earn it, but apreceates it anyway, thanks John.

Mitchell Andrus
03-09-2007, 6:04 PM
mishigas craziness

Pronouced " Mitch e gas"

Anyone got a lighter?

Jim Becker
03-09-2007, 7:15 PM
Don't worry about Mark, Michell...he's just a little Mishugina from time to time... :)

Dennis Peacock
03-09-2007, 8:54 PM
Nothing like a little growth for the Creek eh?!! :D

Mark Singer
03-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Don't worry about Mark, Michell...he's just a little Mishugina from time to time... :)

Vat....me Mishugina:confused: