PDA

View Full Version : rotozip and cut out tools?

aurelio alarcon
12-15-2003, 12:18 AM
Does anyone have an opinion concerning rotozip style cut out tools? What are they good for? Has anyone had experience using them? Would you recommend using one of these?

Richard McComas
12-15-2003, 2:27 AM
Does anyone have an opinion concerning rotozip style cut out tools? What are they good for? Has anyone had experience using them? Would you recommend using one of these?

Got one for xmas one year ended up giving it away. If you do sheet rock work it's ok for that otherwise I don't think it's worth the powder too blow it to ****. Just my opinion and you know what that's worth.

Noah Alkinburgh
12-15-2003, 9:16 AM
I have a dremel with the cutout attatchement to let me do sheet rock. I have used it to cut out drywall, cut through plaster (different bit). I used it to grind down a weld spot on my drill press table, clean rust off my car, cut off bolts, cut a allen wrench short.

Anyway, my point is I think the dremmel is a more versatile tool then the rotozip. Like Richard said, if you are doing lots of drywall or install type stuff it might be nice, but the dremmel has lots more options.

Just my .01 (50% off sale today..normally .02)

Noah

Tyler Howell
12-15-2003, 9:49 AM
I have the Roto Zip never used all the gizmos that come with it. Not a replacement for all the tools it claims. If you must have one get the DC. OK with sheat rock.
Sits in its custom designed case most of the time
TJH

Dan Stuewe
12-15-2003, 1:16 PM
I asked a drywaller we hired to do some work on our house what he thought of these. He has one, but he won't let anyone but himself use it. He likes it, but he feels there is a learning curve and he can't afford to fix swirls cut into the good drywall when the machine gets away from you.

I wanted one for cutting out the holes for electrical boxes in some pre-fab MDF bead board sheets. The problem is the bit used for doing that (has a "dead" bearing on the end to use with the electrical box) is only meant for drywall. The wood or engineered wood bits don't have to bearing. My wife and I ending up making a template and took many good measurements. Ended up looking perfect, once the cover plates went on.

Jason Roehl
12-15-2003, 1:26 PM
I've had both a Dremel and a RotoZip. The Dremel is toast. IMHO, the Rotozip is a much heavier-duty tool (overall, motor power is dependent on model). The RZ is more tolerant of dust due to the nature of its construction--it was developed by a drywaller for drywall, which creates some of the nastiest, most abrasive dust known to man--not good for universal motors and small bearings. But, beyond drywall, it can pretty much do anything a Dremel can do (with more power), and many of the Dremel attachments fit it as well. I've even used the right-angle attachment which does quite well (but not as good as a dedicated model, of course). And, there's plenty of bits out there for many different purposes. My vote is for the RotoZip.

Anthony Yakonick
12-15-2003, 2:58 PM
I bought one about 6 months ago at Lowes for $25, someday I hope to use it!

Keith Outten
12-15-2003, 7:39 PM
Last month I bought a Sears model cutting/grinding tool. The Sears tool came with a plunge base, a fixed base and a circle cutting attachment.

Plenty of power and switchable from 20,000 to 30.000 RPM with a 1/4" collet. Not bad for $59.00. This tool can be used as a trim router. grinder and cutting tool, it should be very useful around the shop.

CJ Conrad
12-15-2003, 7:48 PM
Used mine this weekend where my jigsaw couldn't fit. I was cutting out some 1/2 ply on a cabinet bottom to put in a new vent hood. It cut slow, was hard to control, and required way to much sideways pressure even with a new bit installed to let me be comfortable. It worked, but was definitely my tool of last resort.

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2003, 8:15 PM
I have the RZ and a Dremel. The RZ has seen exactly 3 uses and sits in the case the rest of the time. The Dremel gets regular use and I don't know how I ever got along without one. Don't plan on cutting 3/4" ply or solid stock with the RZ.....it will be anything but fast and controllable.

Hal Flynt
12-16-2003, 11:45 AM
My 2 cents.

I use my Dremel more. The Roto Zip is more powerful and I have the circle cutting attachment which I use to cut speaker holes in cabinets. It's good for that. Of course sheetrock is really where it shines.

My best use was cutting 3/4 " Plywood base for a vanity top that I was building. The cutout was following a constantly flowing line for an "Antique Sink". I bought the carbide bit and had to Practice following a line. This left a 1/8 " kerf in which I inserted 1/8" doorskin pieces to make a form for pouring a concrete counter top. I can't think of any other way to do this as some of the curves were too tight for a jig saw.

Not my favorite tool, and wish it had a wide router base and I could use it for a trim router and maybe a plunge base.

Any way it acts like a router without a guide when you cut, hmmm it is like a router without a guide.

Bob Oswin
12-17-2003, 3:37 PM
My 2 cents.

I use my Dremel more. The Roto Zip is more powerful and I have the circle cutting attachment which I use to cut speaker holes in cabinets. It's good for that. Of course sheetrock is really where it shines.

Not my favorite tool, and wish it had a wide router base and I could use it for a trim router and maybe a plunge base.

Any way it acts like a router without a guide when you cut, hmmm it is like a router without a guide.
I rigged a plastic base for mine to use as a mini router,
It has seen duty in bathroom tiles , drywall and electrical boxes.
I used the plastic base to do some relief carving last year.

If it cuts or grinds or makes noises , I've got it!

Bob :p