PDA

View Full Version : Cedar planks for salmon

Craig D Peltier
03-08-2007, 2:04 PM
Hi, I like the taste of salmon on a plank but the stores that sell them are very expensive.Like 4 for 8. Does anyone know an easier route of getting cedar planks. When I lived in CA, all they had was treated.Now I live in seattle area.

FYI in my opinion Tom Douglas salmon rub is an excellent way to Q up salmon.

I cant resaw with my little craftsman benchtop band saw.

Ken Werner
03-08-2007, 2:12 PM
Cedar clapboard. put 2 together with tapers running opposite. A few screws in the corners to hold together. Worked fine for me.
Ken

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-08-2007, 2:22 PM
You can resaw cedar and you can buy a box of cedar shingles.

Lou Morrissette
03-08-2007, 2:34 PM
I've had good luck using red cedar shingles.

Lou

Joe Pelonio
03-08-2007, 2:53 PM
Chop down a couple of trees in your yard!!:eek:

Seriously, That shouldn't be a problem if you look for it there are people selling the native cedar firewood all over the place, my step father buys it by the cord for the wood stove. Sometimes he is able to get logs and his neighbor has a mill so they use them for boards. Unless the salmon is huge,
you can use two wedges to get a plank by splitting a round.

Of course they are up in the Port Angeles area where there's still some logging going on, and they also get fresh salmon right off the boats.

Another option is cedar 6" fence planks, if they are not treated. You'd probably get 6-8 out of each one. Too bad old stuff wouldn't work as well, there's currently about 100' of old cedar fence laying down across the street at a neighbor's from the last windstorm.

Craig D Peltier
03-08-2007, 3:31 PM
thanks everyone.

John Shuk
03-08-2007, 8:36 PM
Just go to a lumber yard and buy the cheapest western red cedar they have. Cut it to the right length and you are in business. If it is rough you might want to hit it with 100 grit to get rid of the splinters. The stuff sold in the store made for grilling is way expensive.

Bill Lewis
03-09-2007, 1:45 PM
email Mark Singer! Or do a search, I think this topic has come up before.

Rob Littleton
03-09-2007, 2:17 PM
Exactly what I did 4 weeks ago. Soak it overnight but the plank I got was very wet anyways. Got a cedar panel for a fence from HD, it was like 3 dollars

Just go to a lumber yard and buy the cheapest western red cedar they have. Cut it to the right length and you are in business. If it is rough you might want to hit it with 100 grit to get rid of the splinters. The stuff sold in the store made for grilling is way expensive.

skip coyne
03-09-2007, 7:12 PM
had it for the first time last weekend , washed the fish and rubbed it with olive oil and course sea salt ...

best fish I ever had , going to do it again sunday

Im also in the market for a cheap source of planks ...I bought a pack of four planks , unused at a grage sale so Im set for a while

skip coyne
03-09-2007, 7:24 PM
I found this and thought it was interesting

Q: What are the advantages to using Fire & Flavor Grilling Planks versus lumber at my local hardware store?

A: You must always use untreated woods for cooking; not all woods are suitable for cooking. Treated woods can be highly poisonous and some cedars (eastern cedar or white cedar) contain resins which are toxic. Shingles purchased from a hardware store may contain chemicals and are not very sanitary. Also the unevenness of shingles can make moisture drain away from the food and possibly lead to flare ups. We highly recommend using cedar planks that are sold for cooking; lumber at hardware stores is not a safe or sanitary route.

Q: Can I plank cook with other types of cedar?

A: Eastern cedar, white cedar, or inland cedar is not to be cooked on. High sap content is not sanitary and imparts a bitter flavor to foods. We do not recommend cooking on any kind of cedar except Western Red Cedar.

http://www.fireandflavor.com/plank-grilling-instructions.asp

John Shuk
03-09-2007, 9:16 PM
I've used maple slabs that were waste from cutting turning blanks for doing chicken on the charcoal grill and it is as good as it gets.

Craig D Peltier
03-10-2007, 3:58 PM
I like to have skin on on back side.Rub plank with oil after its soaked under water for hour or more.Keep spray bottle for flare ups on grill.I also have noticed using a weber platinum has made a difference much more even and smokier.
It has been the best tasting home fish ive had.

had it for the first time last weekend , washed the fish and rubbed it with olive oil and course sea salt ...

best fish I ever had , going to do it again sunday

Im also in the market for a cheap source of planks ...I bought a pack of four planks , unused at a grage sale so Im set for a while

Craig D Peltier
03-10-2007, 8:38 PM
I went to home depot an got a 9/16 cedar plank used for fencing 6 feet tall for $2.57 On eof the workers told me a chef comes in an buys them all the time.Thanks for the tips.

Mark Singer
03-11-2007, 11:27 AM
When I first opened "230 Fottest Ave" http://www.230forestavenue.com/230Forest_OPAH_Agave.pdf
over a dozen years ago, I used to buy untreated cedar shingles and cut that in batches and the chef Marc Cohen had a signiture dish that had salmon served on the plank.....very popular! You need to make sure they are not treated....we didn't lose any customers:rolleyes:

http://www.230forestavenue.com/

Craig D Peltier
03-12-2007, 12:08 AM
My future wife used to go there all the time.Thats yours.
When I first opened "230 Fottest Ave" http://www.230forestavenue.com/230Forest_OPAH_Agave.pdf
over a dozen years ago, I used to buy untreated cedar shingles and cut that in batches and the chef Marc Cohen had a signiture dish that had salmon served on the plank.....very popular! You need to make sure they are not treated....we didn't lose any customers:rolleyes:

http://www.230forestavenue.com/

Mark Singer
03-12-2007, 12:23 AM
My future wife used to go there all the time.Thats yours.

Crraig,
Yes....I am the General Partner of 230 and the Opah Restaurant Group...she probably knows Opah also.. What is her name?

Craig D Peltier
03-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Hollie Criss, blonde blue eyes. Grew up in anaheim hills. I also lived in Playa Del Rey,Marina Del Rey,Santa Monica and culver city for 11 yrs. JUst moved up to the NW 6 months ago.I still have a condo in Playa.