PDA

View Full Version : A simple card scraper rack

Dave Anderson NH
12-14-2003, 10:36 PM
As part of my ongoing effort to organize my benchroom, I decided that a conveniently placed rack would put my card scrapers within reach of the bench. I also needed a place where they wouldn't get buried under the "stuff" that tends to collect all over the shop. Other goals were to get a design which prevented damage to the hooked edges and to have the burnisher readily at hand. I ended up placing it right next to my plane till on the tool wall where it really doesn't take up much space and is within one step of the bench. The wood was just a couple of cutoffs of mahogany left over from another project and given a two quick coats of garnet shellac. I hope this is of some use to folks in figuring out how to store their scrapers.

Dave- in NH where it's snowing now but supposed to turn to sleet and freezing rain

Matt Woodworth
12-14-2003, 11:06 PM
Two observations and a question.

1) It looks great. I especially like the holder for the burnisher. Good idea.
2) I noticed 5 empty slots. Clearly you need to go shopping. :)

Q1) How did you make it. I'm thinking that the card holder slots were a perfect job for the tablesaw. Care to give us some insight into your methods?

Dick Parr
12-15-2003, 10:12 AM
This is the first of these I have seen. Very nice looking and practical.

I have a piece of scrap that I think will work just fine for one of these. Mine are in a drawer under a bunch of stuff.

This is a great idea. Thanks for passing it on. :)

Lars Thomas
12-15-2003, 2:53 PM
Well done. A simple solution for PITA problem. I like the way Lars

Dave Anderson NH
12-15-2003, 9:44 PM
When making most of my simple shop fixtures I'm not too scrupulous about adhering to the use of only only hand tools. I jsut wnat to get the job done quickly. In this case I used the bandsaw and double kerfed each cut so it was wide enough to allow a slack fit. The angle was controled by a 45 degree block so the cuts stayed straight. The boards are just glued and then nailed from the back with 1" brads. The drilled and shaped block for the burnisher is just glued in place.

I find that most of my small and medium cutoffs from the shop end up as parts of tool holders, I figure it's better than feeding them to the woodstove.

Oh Matt- Only four of the slots are empty, the top one has a scraper in it. I also have a couple of pieces of 1/32 spring steel I need to cut up to make some more. I tend to let them all get dull and sharpen them all at the same time.

Lars Thomas
12-16-2003, 1:44 PM
Dave, Do you have any advice for sharpening scrapers? I can't seem to be able to get a nice clean hook every-time.

Michael Campbell
12-16-2003, 1:58 PM
Dave, Do you have any advice for sharpening scrapers? I can't seem to be able to get a nice clean hook every-time.

http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/scraping/scraper.htm is a pretty good page.

Lars Thomas
12-16-2003, 4:36 PM
Nice site, Michael. Thanks. Lars

Michael Campbell
12-17-2003, 1:33 PM
It's not my site, just one that I've found, but you're welcome all the same =)

Michael