PDA

View Full Version : Jointing on router table

Nissim Avrahami
03-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Good day

The winter hibernation season finished in Poland and it's time to start working.

So, between the "Saw stop" and "Domino", may I share with you, amateurs and poor guys like me without jointer, my method of jointing boards for panel gluing.

With this method, I "shave" 0.004" (0.1mm) every pass (but you can cut more), standing behind the straight edge and using pushers to satisfy the "safety police" but first, myself.

The straight edge must be double the length of the board, the one in the pics is 66" long and I can joint boards of 33" max but, soon I'm going to buy a 118" straight edge that is used for carpeting. I checked a few of them face-to-face and was surprised how straight they are.
They cost here around $30 (waiting for the "bank" permission).

Edit: for the sake of safety, I removed all the pics

Regards
niki

Bruce Benjamin
03-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Niki, I like your posts as they are usually very inventive and informative. The problem I see with your method in this post however, is that I've always understood that you aren't supposed to, "Trap" the work piece between the router bit and the fence, or in this case, your straightedge. This can cause kick back. I know you're using a feather board to help prevent this but I'm just saying what I've always heard and practiced.

Instead, the typical way that I've jointed on my router table is to bury the bit into the fence, (wouldn't work with a straight edge) and set the outfeed side a few thousandths proud of the infeed side. This can be accomplished either by using a split fence, having a subfence on the fence and spacing the outfeed subfence out, or by just adding a piece of tape to the outfeed side. Then align the edge of the router bit with the outfeed side of the fence. This way the wood isn't trapped between the fence and the bit and the chance of kick back is greatly reduced. Essentially, what you end up with is a jointer on its side.

Bruce

pat warner
03-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Suicide run.
Would not trap the work between the fence & the bit, except with a power feeder.
Routers (http://www.patwarner.com)

Nissim Avrahami
03-08-2007, 1:42 PM
Hi Bruce

Sorry that I did not say that I know the split fence method to save you all the explanation.

I did try to imagine what can happen in case of router kickback and my assumption is that with the feather boards and my two hands pushing down and out with two pushers, it will be very difficult for the router bit to through the work into my body.
But, to be on the safe side, I made an experiment and during the feeding I pushed the board deliberately into the router bit... the bit just cut into the wood, I did not feel any tendency to kickback.

Regards
niki