PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on mobile bases please?

Kevin Blunt
03-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Hey guys,
I am planning on heading down to BB & LV on Saturady morning and as I see in the new flyer that they hav eShop fox mobile bases on sale. I have read some conflicting reports on them, some saying yay and some saying Nay. I think if I recall correctly There was a comparison of Mobile bases and the shop fox came out on top in one of the magazies. Can't remember which one though. Thanks for any opinions.
Kevin

Ted Miller
03-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Kevin, I like to modify the Shop Fox bases. Welding all the metal in place then upgrading the casters. I had a few HTCs in my day but was not impressed with them, seemed to flimsy and did not like the rear casters. Of course anything under 300 lbs and either base will be fine...

Paul Kinneberg
03-08-2007, 5:29 PM
I have both HTC and Shop Fox mobile bases they both work fine but the fit and finnish are way better on the HTC. However at twice the cost it should be also quicker to set up. Again functionally they both work fine in my shop.

Bruce Page
03-08-2007, 6:08 PM
I have two kinds of bases, one HTC and several Deltas. I hate the HTC, love the Delta’s.

Doug Shepard
03-08-2007, 6:24 PM
I've only got one Shop Fox base. It's under a really massive drill press that weighs around 600 Lbs. It was the heaviest duty one I could find and has worked pretty well. I think it was rated for 1200 Lbs. Fortunately I dont have to move it often as it's the least smooth rolling of all my bases and starting that thing moving is a bit of a chore - once it's rolling it's not too bad. The rest are either HTC or Delta.

Dave Falkenstein
03-08-2007, 8:29 PM
I have Shop Fox bases under a band saw and a planer. I like them. The only negative I have heard is about having to bend down to raise the two stops when you want to move the base - no big deal to me.

Larry Conely
03-08-2007, 9:18 PM
I happen to be an HTC guy. I've tried several brands, but always come back to HTC. I find them to be stable and well made. I also like the fact that they are made so that they do not stab feet and are east to keep clean. They lock easily and surely. I currently have my Inca 12 inch table saw and Powermatic 14 inch band saw on HTC.

Cary Swoveland
03-08-2007, 10:01 PM
I recently got seven HTCs, two new HTC3000s, four previous-generation HTC1000s and one previous-generation HTC2000. The 1000s and 2000 were from HTC's recent clearance sale.

I was not impressed by the rigidity of the bases. The main problem is that the steel sides are nearly flat bars, allowing a lot of flex. I felt compelled to add angle iron and a 1/2" ply base to one, and 1/2" ply bases, bolted at the corners, to three others. I don't know if all mobile bases share this problem. In future, I would look for mobile bases that use angle iron, or make my own.

Cary

David Wambolt
03-08-2007, 10:07 PM
I have a couple of HTC's (1000 and a 2000). The HTC's work well for lighter equipment, like my Wilton 6" Belt, 12" Disc sander. The Delta base is much nicer in my opinion. I like the single foot actuator and how sturdy the bases are built. If you can find a Delta in the right size, I'd recommend them.

I'm trying to find a good base for my drill press right now.

Kevin Blunt
03-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will head down to have a look at the shop fox.