PDA

View Full Version : Saw blade for two sided melamine

John Gregory
03-08-2007, 12:16 PM
I am starting to build some cabinet carcasses using two sided melamine. I bought a Frued blade, 80T for two sided melamine at Woodcraft during the 15% off sale and the blade is awesome. No chipout, nada none!! Even when romoving just a kerf of material. I don't have the model number here, but if you want to know I can check at home tonight.

Ted Miller
03-08-2007, 12:21 PM
I like to use 100T 12x30MM Triple Chip for double sided, does have a 3.2 kerf...

Ted Baca
03-08-2007, 2:38 PM
How about the Forrest Duraline AT? Anyone use that blade I was considering buying it, this thread has me curious.

Curt Harms
03-08-2007, 2:59 PM
I did a few pieces of melamine and used a 40 T. combo blade. Pretty good results but a few small chips. Tried the tape trick, it didn't really help me much. I started making 2 passes-one to score one layer, about 1/8" deep then a second pass to cut the piece. Perfect. That'd be too slow for a lot of pieces, but worked fine for a few pieces. I don't remember if I had a zero clearance insert then, that would make a difference.

Curt

John Gregory
03-08-2007, 3:22 PM
I did a few pieces of melamine and used a 40 T. combo blade. Pretty good results but a few small chips. Tried the tape trick, it didn't really help me much. I started making 2 passes-one to score one layer, about 1/8" deep then a second pass to cut the piece. Perfect. That'd be too slow for a lot of pieces, but worked fine for a few pieces. I don't remember if I had a zero clearance insert then, that would make a difference.

Curt
The project we are doing now uses 9 full sheets of melamine. Part of the project is for us and part for profit, I used a ZCI on the "rip" cuts and a crosscut sled on the "crosscuts". Boy oh boy the stuff is heavy.

Ted Miller
03-08-2007, 3:27 PM
Curt, A 6 degree neg hook with a high ATB will do you just right, and yes make sure you have a zero clearence plate. Any new blade I have has its own plate. I should mention also give your TS a quick check of blade heel is any. If you blade is off only a few 1000s and you will see chipping...

scott spencer
03-08-2007, 3:51 PM
Curt, A 6 degree neg hook with a high ATB will do you just right, and yes make sure you have a zero clearence plate. Any new blade I have has its own plate. I should mention also give your TS a quick check of blade heel is any. If you blade is off only a few 1000s and you will see chipping...

Freud's current Hi-ATB 80T blade is the LU80, formerly the F810...could very well be what you have. A Hi-ATB will cut cleaner than other grinds. A TCG should do well too and may hold an edge a bit longer in melamine.

Todd Solomon
03-08-2007, 4:05 PM
How about the Forrest Duraline AT? Anyone use that blade I was considering buying it, this thread has me curious.

Yes, the Forrest Duraline is outstanding. Just beautiful cuts, nearly perfect.

Todd

Benjimin Young
03-08-2007, 5:05 PM
I am starting to build some cabinet carcasses using two sided melamine. I bought a Frued blade, 80T for two sided melamine at Woodcraft during the 15% off sale and the blade is awesome. No chipout, nada none!! Even when romoving just a kerf of material. I don't have the model number here, but if you want to know I can check at home tonight.

Ditto and Ditto, I have the same blade and love it.
Ben

Jeffrey Makiel
03-08-2007, 8:16 PM
I believe I have the same Freud blade as you. It's a high-ATB specifically for use with melamine and other splintery sheetgoods. It works so well that I don't even bother with a blade stabilizer or ZCI. Absolutely chip free on the underside.

I have read that hi-ATB blades tend to dull faster than traditional triple chip grind blades. I'm just a hobbyist, so I'm not too concerned.

The blade was not that expensive relative to Forrest. I think it was around $75. I highly recommend it.

-Jeff :)

Ted Baca
03-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the feedback on the Forrest, I have always been happy with that brand. Freud is a close second, wanted to try Tenryu but figure why change horses mid stream

John Gregory
03-09-2007, 9:55 AM
I believe I have the same Freud blade as you. It's a high-ATB specifically for use with melamine and other splintery sheetgoods. It works so well that I don't even bother with a blade stabilizer or ZCI. Absolutely chip free on the underside.

I have read that hi-ATB blades tend to dull faster than traditional triple chip grind blades. I'm just a hobbyist, so I'm not too concerned.

The blade was not that expensive relative to Forrest. I think it was around $75. I highly recommend it.

-Jeff :)

Jeff, I was lucky enough to buy it during March Madness at Woodcraft, I got a 15% discount. And of course the savings went to buy other woodworking items.:D