PDA

View Full Version : Any dog behavioral experts out there?

Steve Schlumpf
03-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Two weeks ago I started taking care of my parents dog. Long story – short version – my Dad passed away and my Mom (due to a stroke 5 years ago) is temporarily in an Assisted Living Facility. She hopes to be able to return home in a few months and as a result I am dog-sitting for her.

The problem: Dog is female and every time she is corrected she squats, urinates and then lays down in it. Actually all I have to do is talk to her and she squats. Getting really old as I end up cleaning the house, giving the dog a bath and hope it doesn’t happen again. I realize that more than likely the problem is with me and I am asking the experts out there what they suggest I do to help eliminate the dog’s submissive actions.

I want to help out my Mom but this is getting a little out of control and frankly I am getting tired of cleaning the floor!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

John Hain
03-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Two weeks ago I started taking care of my parents dog. Long story – short version – my Dad passed away and my Mom (due to a stroke 5 years ago) is temporarily in an Assisted Living Facility. She hopes to be able to return home in a few months and as a result I am dog-sitting for her.

The problem: Dog is female and every time she is corrected she squats, urinates and then lays down in it. Actually all I have to do is talk to her and she squats. Getting really old as I end up cleaning the house, giving the dog a bath and hope it doesn’t happen again. I realize that more than likely the problem is with me and I am asking the experts out there what they suggest I do to help eliminate the dog’s submissive actions.

I want to help out my Mom but this is getting a little out of control and frankly I am getting tired of cleaning the floor!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Well, as a resident attendant of 8 dogs over my life, I remember 2 that "piddled" on the carpet regularly. My current viszla does it when she gets super-excited and my old Lhasa Apso did it when she got in trouble and knew she was in trouble. I think your dog is relating to the latter. She is uncomfortable with your presence, i.e. nervous, under any/all circumstances.

I don't think you can "cure" the dog of this problem, but you need to learn to avoid it or condition a different response to you, if possible. It's not unheard of for an animal to get excited with a new owner and piddle even under regular circumstances. You can attempt to condition the dog...........

Needless to say, I don't think there's anything you can do about it other than curl up on the couch every evening watching TV and have the dog curled up next to you or on your chest to reinforce a bond so she doesn't become excited everytime you talk (attention) her. If she's peeing most times you talk to her, you will need to talk to her in a comfortable situation as detailed above and cement that ease of relationship.

That's just my 2 cents.

Doug Shepard
03-08-2007, 11:58 AM

every time she is corrected she squats, urinates and then lays down in it....

My guess is that this isn't an excitement issue but a nervousness or even fear/intimidation issue. You might try changing your tone of voice and praising her when she's doing things right. She may not have a read on you yet and may think you're mad at her all the time (which aint far from the truth). Even if you don't talk bad to them, they know when you're not happy with them.

Joe Pelonio
03-08-2007, 12:24 PM
My sister works at an animal hospital and does dog training, that doesn't make me an expert by any means but I have learned a lot from her.

Is this an older dog? Any change like the dog's owner being away and going to another house is stressful on a dog, they are creatures of habit and get comfortable with things always being the same, the longer it's the same the harder it is for them to adjust to change.

Hopefully your Mom will be back soon, meanwhile I can confirm what both Doug and John said. Your Mom probably never had to correct the dog so she's already stressed out then doesn't know how to handle being corrected. If the weather permits I'd suggest spending a lot of time with her outside to get her used to you and to being corrected, where you won't have to clean up. Keep treats in your pocket, something simple like Cheerios, and give her one whenever you speak to her without the
messy response.

Doug Shepard
03-08-2007, 6:03 PM
I had another thought that may be worth pursuing.
http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/search_results.asp?CID=0&mscssid=K9RLEF6X4DEA8GETMU0JWVABTTPV8PG5&keywords=diapers&cmkw=diapers
It wont stop you needing to bathe her afterwards but at least would solve the house cleaning problem. Also pick up some of that cleaner sold at pet stores. It's an enzyme based liquid that does a good job of getting rid of stains and odor in case she does still pee on the floor. It also may not hurt to take her to the vet and make sure she doesn't have some sort of urinary tract infection.

Mack Cameron
03-08-2007, 6:47 PM
http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/

Cesar Milan; he's my man, the Dog Whisperer!

Brye Goodspeed
03-08-2007, 7:45 PM
I agree with the above mentioned comments. You need to gain the dogs trust... the change in evironment is more then likely the problem. Positive re-inforcement will go along way with her. Give it some time, and good luck.

Brye

Brad Copeland
03-08-2007, 8:56 PM
I agree with all the behavioral ideas as that is probably where the issue is. As a Veterinarian I would also consider a work up that evaluated her for Urinary tract disease, Diabetes, incontinence etc. A history might rule in or out some of these possibilties. Brad

Steve Schlumpf
03-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks everyone for your inputs.

I do realize that a change in living arrangements had to be stressful on the dog and try to watch what I do and say when talking to the dog. Figure it will just be a matter of time before she comes to trust me. Other thing is while she was living with my folks she hardly ever was corrected, ate what they ate and pretty much had run of the house. I'm not that kind of guy and while I absolutely love dogs believe they should have rules, eat a balanced diet and follow even the simpliest of commands - like sit or stay. So I understand my work is cut out for me for a while longer but I do believe it will be worth the effort as I probably will learn as much as the dog.

Thanks everyone for your comments - I will adapt.

Frank Chaffee
03-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Hey Steve, speaking as an old dog myself, I can see how your canine friend my not be quick on learning the new tricks you have to offer. If you are still young enough to learn new tricks, I suggest you listen to her.

Chris Barton
03-09-2007, 7:28 AM
every time she is corrected she squats, urinates and then lays down in it. Actually all I have to do is talk to her and she squats.

My wife has the same effect on me. Is this a bad thing?;)

Bill Grumbine
03-09-2007, 8:52 AM
Steve, I am not a dog psychologist either, but I was given to understand that this is a sign of submission. We had two dogs, one previous, and one current, who exhibited this behavior with me (the alpha male) for a while. Both got over it as they became more used to my presence. It could be that your mother's dog just needs to get used to her new surroundings. I hope this helps out some. It is a real pain to be constantly cleaning up after the pooch.

Bill

Ken Garlock
03-09-2007, 12:18 PM
I think Bill has the answer, getting use to you.

One thing I have learned from 'The Dog Whisperer' is to just ignore a dog until it comes to you. By that time it has decided that you are no threat. When your walk into where the dog is don't talk to it, don't look at it, just go about your own business. Eventually the dog will come over to you and you can give it some LOW KEY praise. You don't want to excite the dog, or you will have a mess to clean.

One last thing, is the dog getting an hour of good exercise per day? They need something to use up their energy and tire them. Letting them out in the backyard to do their business is not exercise. You need to see them pant a little.

Disclaimer: I don't own a dog, I have never owned a dog. I have watched many, many episodes of Dog Whisperer and in just about every case the owners are not exercising the dog sufficiently, and when Caesar enters a client home, he ignores the dog until it comes to him.

In summary, I am not a dog trainer and I don't play one on TV, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn. :rolleyes:

My advise is worth what you paid for it....

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Bill & Ken - thanks for the input. Always a reason why I don't have time but will make it a point to take the dog for a walk and give us both some 'bonding' time and see if that changes anything. Other than that I plan on just giving it some more time.

Thanks again everyone for your input.

Bob Spare
03-09-2007, 1:11 PM
Bill & Ken - thanks for the input. Always a reason why I don't have time but will make it a point to take the dog for a walk and give us both some 'bonding' time and see if that changes anything. Other than that I plan on just giving it some more time.

Thanks again everyone for your input.

Dont own a dog, (one one the way)

Dog whisper the other day, showed a way to excerise a dog for those who lack the time.

It took him all of about 6 minutes to train a dog to stay on a tread mill:D

Bill Lewis
03-09-2007, 1:43 PM
I agree with all the behavioral ideas as that is probably where the issue is. As a Veterinarian I would also consider a work up that evaluated her for Urinary tract disease, Diabetes, incontinence etc. A history might rule in or out some of these possibilties. Brad
Ditto this! Get the dog checked out by a vet. Female dogs in general are more susceptable to urinary tract problems. Also, you could be looking at a combination of behavioral and biological problems. A stressed out dog can also have a stressed out immune system.

Glenn Clabo
03-09-2007, 2:48 PM
ROTFL...It takes a real man to admit it...in public anyway.