PDA

View Full Version : Black comes out dull when engraving Rowmark

Frederic Gagnon
03-08-2007, 9:41 AM
I am using gold and silver metallic sheets of Rowmark Lasermax for a set of plaques. The thing is, I never found a suitable way to obtain a dark black color when I engrave them. I have a close-up picture to show what I mean.
I once used Armor-All (a plastic shiner for cars) but the results are uneven. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Mike Null
03-08-2007, 9:58 AM
I usually engrave at 500dpi resolution. And I think mineral spirits will give you a blacker look. Be sure you're removing all the cap as well.

Joe Pelonio
03-08-2007, 11:08 AM
I've never had that problem has to be something with your settings. Looks like with that texture that it could be the resolution as Mike said, or maybe using too much power.

Frederic Gagnon
03-08-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm engraving at 500dpi resolution and 60% power, and full speed. I have a 65w laser. When I reduce the power, the metallic layer is not fully engraved on the edges.

I will try reducing the speed and power...
I

Rodne Gold
03-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Spray the plate with either Pledge furniture spray or "spray 'n cook" cooking oil.
Will bring out the black and actually increase abraision resistance and clean it and make it shine.
We have a spray called "MR MIN" here in SA that works well.

Joe Pelonio
03-08-2007, 1:22 PM
I'm engraving at 500dpi resolution and 60% power, and full speed. I have a 65w laser. When I reduce the power, the metallic layer is not fully engraved on the edges.

I will try reducing the speed and power...
I
Are you sure they sent you Lasermax, and not the rotary material?

I hope your tube is OK. I do lasermax metals on my 45 watt at 55" power 400 dpi and get a nice clean black image.