PDA

View Full Version : opinions: best aftermarket safety equipment for unisaw?

Philip DiPaolo
03-08-2007, 5:08 AM
hi --
the '80s unisaw in our shop has no splitter or guard.

i've seen various threads about the shark guard, overhead blade guards, homemade splitters, etc. here and on other forums. i've also seen the little $18 plastic splitters and wondered if they're any good.

so:
-- what are your recommendations for aftermarket safety equipment?
-- what system or approach offers the most flexibility for a variety of cuts?
-- finally, what are the best values out there?

the owner is willing to spend probably up to $150 to make the saw safe.

thanks in advance!

--------------------
philip

Joe Chritz
03-08-2007, 7:16 AM
Don't know for sure but I have heard really good things about the sharkguard.

If you are an employee and the owner is only willing to spend $150.00 for needed safety equipment I would try to get that in a letter or memo.

FWIW I will be buying a sharkguard.

Joe

Rod Sheridan
03-08-2007, 8:26 AM
Hi Philip, I presume the $150 maximum to improve the saw safety is an or situation.
Spend $150 on the old saw, or purchase a new one with the safety equipment? If your boss is reluctant to spend the $150, he should be aware of what compliance orders can cost him after an inspection or accident, not to mention negligence charges for knowingly operating machinery in an unsafe condition.

I have an Excalibur overarm guard, with a Merlin splitter. The overarm guard works great, it has good dust collection and of course can stay on the saw when performing non through cuts.

A guard such as the shark guard, is similar to the standard splitter mounted guards and I don't think it can be used with non through sawing operations. (Perhaps there are overarm shark guards, I've never seen one).

Whatever system you buy, it's far superior to what you are using now.

Regards, Rod.