PDA

View Full Version : "FAKE" dove tails revisited

Mark Valsi
12-14-2003, 11:42 AM
THANKS, guys for the comments. I’ll try to answer them !

I'm not trying to start an argument, but why do you do these fake dovetails?
I GUESS TO MAKE THE PROJECT LOOK NICER.

You've already ensured the structural integrity of the joint by some other means, so that isn't why. WELL, IT SURE WILL ADD STRENGHT TO THE DRAWERS. . .

The dovetails don't look real enough to convince other woodworkers -- even if you didn't use the contrasting wood. TRUE, BUT I THINK IT ADDS SOME AESTHETIC VALUE TO THE PROJECT.

So are you trying to fake those folks who know just barely enough about wood to think that dovetails are the only mark of quality? PROBABLY. . . BUT NOT FOR FINANCIAL GAIN, AS THE DISPLAY BOX ISN’T FOR SALE

Or [grin] are you just trying to start fights among your fellow woodworkers I DIDN’T START OUT TO, BUT LOOKS LIKE I HAVE RAISED SOME CONTROVERSY ON THIS BOARD AND ON ONE OF THE OTHER ONES!

Interesting method. I can see where this might be very useful, especially if you want to use plywood for your drawer boxes and still want the look of solid stock. THAT WOULD BE NICE AS WELL.

Two things: Is it an optical illusion that the pins appear to be "deeper" than the drawer material would be for real ones? NO, I DIDN’T THINK OF THAT WHEN I MADE IT !!

If so, it would probably be a good idea to insure that they match the size that they would normally be. WELL, IF I EVER DO ANOTHER ONE, THAT’S WHAT I’LL BE THINKING !!

Also, the pins are very dark which somewhat takes away from their effectiveness. End grain would be darker, but not that much unless you were not using a false front. Both of these things are IMHO, and that's not worth a whole lot BUT I APPRECIATE THE TIME YOU TOOK TO COMMENT.