PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe, Make the move or wait?

Perry Higgins
03-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Totally new to the Creek and can't believe what a great find this is.

I've been turning for about a year on an old Jet 1236 with 300 lbs of sand to hold it in place that I bought used. I haven't turned anything avoer about 10 inches so it probably hasn't mattered much/ Naturally, now I have the big for an upgrade and although I'd like a Oneway, there is no way! So, should I make the jump to a 1442 or wait until my ship comes in and I can get a 1642?

Anyone have any experience with the workshops at Craft Supply? Which instructors are the best?

Neal Addy
03-08-2007, 12:14 AM
Welcome to the Creek!

I have the 1442. It's a nice machine but the 1642 is a lot more lathe. All you'd really be getting with the 14 is more ballast and another 2" of swing. No extra bell-and-whistles to speak of.

Just my $.02.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Perry......Welcome to the Creek. A couple of Creekers have the Oneway....a large number of the Jets......a lot have the PM3520B......Thus you'll see a lot of Mayo (Oneway) and Mustard (PM) wars here.....I have a Jet Mini (Mayo Light)......then there's relish......don't be alarmed....these Mayo/Mustard wars go on all the time but it's more smoke than fire :rolleyes: :D

Welcome to the Creek Perry!

John Hart
03-08-2007, 5:45 AM
Wars? More like Spats.:rolleyes: The Battleship Greys are here to keep the various condiment factions under control.;) :)

Oh...almost forgot! Welcome to the Vortex Perry!!!

Mike Turkley
03-08-2007, 7:16 AM
Welcome to the Creek Perry, you will love it here.

If money is tight then my vote is to save up for a PM3520B which others here will also suggest.

Knowing what you want to turn will also help in choosing a new lathe.

MikeT

Mark Pruitt
03-08-2007, 7:45 AM
Mayo/Mustard wars? what the heck you talkin' about Fitzgerald? :rolleyes: :)

We done WON that thing!!!:cool:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/mustardsmile.gif

...and we apparently ran Hoyt into hiding!:eek: :p

Perry,
I know some folks who have been happy with a Jet 1442, but the one thing they all have in common is a desire to move to something bigger. My suggestion is, keep your 1236 as long as you can and go for the biggest thing you can afford, even if it hurts to pay for it. I've had my Mustard up and running less than a month and what I paid for it barely hurts at all. It's a sweet piece of equipment.:D

Jeff Wright
03-08-2007, 8:28 AM
Perry, for a similar post to your question and to get some good ideas, visiti this post:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=53297

Jeff Moffett
03-08-2007, 8:41 AM
Anyone have any experience with the workshops at Craft Supply? Which instructors are the best?
Perry, I went to a Craft Supplies workshop last summer and would highly recommend it to any turner. In my 5-day beginner class, the instructor was Dale Nish and the assistant instructor was Kirk DeHeer. They were both excellent! This thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38977) has more information about my experience. Feel free to PM me if you want more specifics.

Welcome to the Creek! :)

Steve Schlumpf
03-08-2007, 9:00 AM
Perry - Welcome to the Creek!

I am the proud owner of a Jet 1642 and absolutely love the lathe. I do have to agree with Mark and suggest that you use the 1236 for a long as you can and save up for the biggest lathe you can afford when you are ready to upgrade.

Best of luck to you on figuring out which lathe suites your purpose but have to believe you would be more than happy with any of the lathes suggested.

Again, Welcome to the Creek and remember, we really like pictures - lots of pictures!

Perry Higgins
03-08-2007, 9:22 AM
Thanks to all, Got the message, make shavings with whatever until I can afford "a real ride". Sure appreciate the clarification about mayo and mustard. I read a bunch of old threads last night and was all cunfused, thought some people might be doing something besides turning in their "studios". Appreciate all the comments.

Dario Octaviano
03-08-2007, 9:50 AM
I will echo what others said...use your current one until you can't anymore then get the best you can afford. I will definitely recommend going with the 2hp 1642 if you can. It is basically a PM 3520 just a tad smaller/lighter.

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Welcome Perry. You got lots of good advice so the only thing I will say is wait till you can get the Jet 1642. It is a horse and will do probably everything you want.

Ron Ainge
03-08-2007, 1:08 PM
Welcome Perry:

I don't know the type of turning you plan on doing so I will stay away form the advise on the lathe, but if you are interested in attending a session at Craft Supply I would suggest that you check to see who the instructor will be. Then check to see if they have a web page and see what type of turning they do. I have seen demo's form a lot of the peopel that theach there and they were all great in my humble opinion. Dale Nish is great. Kirk Dehear is very good, Mike Mahoney, Kip Christensen, and on and on are all great turners and teachers. If you go there take you check book with you because there are so many new toys there that you will just have to have. I have gone to the past two symposiums at BYU and I have left my share of money with the folks in Provo.

Brett Baldwin
03-08-2007, 1:23 PM
Nothing much to add except another... Welcome Perry!

Ed Breen
03-08-2007, 5:27 PM
Welcome Perry,
Just a small thought. If you'd like more ballast I may have a partial answer. I have a Delta 1442 and have lined the shelf area with railroad track. The track is set over the steel rails and I cannot budge the lathe itself. It just squats on the floor. My son in law tells me the weight per running foot is about 35 pounds. My track runs the entire perimeter. Neater than sand!
Ed

Dominic Greco
03-08-2007, 9:02 PM
Perry,
Several years ago I was in the same position as you. I had an old Jet 1236 and couldn't put enough weight on it. So I saved my pennies (for a couple years!) and bought a new Jet 1 1/2 HP JWL-1642. This is when they first came out and the new 2HP model wasn't in the stores yet.

So far it's been 5 years and I really love my Jet 1642. For 4 years straight I turned on it just about every other night. Only reason I slowed down was arrival of my baby daughter.

If you read my review of the 1642 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/6/) here on SMC, you'll see why I chose it. Another article I wrote shows the ballast box and trestle legs (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/7/) I added later. These are two add ons I highly recommend.

Having the ability to control the RPM with just the touch of a button is really a great feature. I prefer this over having to wrestle with the adjustment arm of a Reeve's Drive. Since you have a Jet 1236, you know what I'm talking about. You also get better control, and almost limitless ability to choose any RPM (within the lathe's limit) you want. The Jet's Variable Speed Drive is very reliable and well built. Mine has not given me an ounce of trouble in 5 years. It can spin big blanks slow, as well as fast (once they've been roughed to where they're nice and round. Cause ANY lathe will jump when you try to spin 40 lb, irregularly shaped piece of rock maple at 500 RPM! DAMHIKT:D )

Perry Higgins
03-09-2007, 9:15 AM
Dominic,
Thanks for steering me to your review of the 1642, I hadn't found it yet and really appreciate advice from a regular user. Since I don't have 22 in my garage I expect that the 1642 1 1/2 HP version will be my tool of choice. There are limits in how much a guy can get by with investing in a hobby. Thanks again. Perry

Ernie Nyvall
03-10-2007, 10:29 AM
... with 300 lbs of sand that I bought used.

Wow, that IS frugal.:p

Welcome to the Creek Perry! I can't comment on the jet, but if possible skip the 1442 for the 1642. I am very pleased with the mustard.

Oh, there is no war or spat... Mayo users just don't know what they are talking about.:p :D

Christopher K. Hartley
03-10-2007, 5:53 PM
Welcome to the Dark Side Perry!

Wow, that IS frugal.:p
Welcome to the Creek Perry! I can't comment on the jet, but if possible skip the 1442 for the 1642. I am very pleased with the mustard.
Oh, there is no war or spat... Mayo users just don't know what they are talking about.:p :DI would have to agree with Ernie and I still own a 1442VSK(just for a short time I hope). Now, I must take issue with him on one thing though. Mustard and Mayo are for sandwiches, so let's talk wood here!:D

Ernie Nyvall
03-10-2007, 6:43 PM
Now, I must take issue with him on one thing though. Mustard and Mayo are for sandwiches, so let's talk wood here!:D

Yea yea yea, gray is like what... expired beef?:D

Christopher K. Hartley
03-10-2007, 9:19 PM
Yea yea yea, gray is like what... expired beef?:DGray?:confused: you mean Black and Silver mix! Oh that cut! That was cold!:eek: I can tell right now that you Mustard guys are a force to be reckoned with!:D

Harvey Schneider
03-15-2007, 8:01 PM
Right now you can get a JWL 1642 for $1699 with $19 shipping and a $100 manufacturers rebate. That's a lot of lathe for the money. I placed my order yesterday. :)
PM me for the name of the vendor.
harvsch@sbcglobal.net

Andy Hoyt
03-16-2007, 9:06 AM
We done WON that thing!!!:cool:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/mustardsmile.gif

...and we apparently ran Hoyt into hiding!:eek: :p ...... Not a chance bucko. On either point.

Beware the coming dawn:D

Jeff Moffett
03-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Attention lurkers,
Don't misinterpret this mustard mouth attack on Andy as a sign of small mayo numbers or weakness. Andy is the mayo general, so he is often the target of outdated mustard propaganda. Please know that the mayo forces are numerous, strong, and resilient.

John Hart
03-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Attention lurkers,
Don't misinterpret this mustard mouth attack on Andy as a sign of small mayo numbers or weakness. Andy is the mayo general, so he is often the target of outdated mustard propaganda. Please know that the mayo forces are numerous, strong, and resilient.

Yeah! and so are the Expired Beef forces! ;)

Christopher K. Hartley
03-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Yeah! and so are the Expired Beef forces! ;)Hmmm!:mad: Expired Beef huh?:confused: :eek: :D

Bruce Smith
03-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Perry, welcome to the creek and by the sounds of it you have been sucked into the vortex already. I my opinion I don't think I would go from a Jet 1236 to a 1642 not that it isn't a good but that would be like going from a Cherolet to a Pontiac. Neither one is a big enough jump, go for the biggest one that you can afford and be sure and give some consideration to one that is manufactured in North America like Oneway, General or Robust. A former employee one said to me and I never forgot it "go for the best you can afford because you are dead along time", and you can't take your money with you. Did you ever see a Brinks Truck following a funeral hearse? Good luck with whatever model you so choose.