PDA

View Full Version : I use to think you all were a little crazy, but...

Dave Carey
03-07-2007, 7:26 PM
A friend and I took an introductory turning course a few weekends ago from Troy Beall in Davidsonville, MD (near Annapolis.) You knew how much fun it is to make square things round, and now I do too. Many thanks to all your postings on lathes, chucks etc. I debated whether or not to get a starter lathe or go whole hog. Decided on the former and found the Jet Mini 1014I on sale on Amazon for $180 plus shipping. Finished setting it up last weekend and am bust making a mess. Recieved a box of bowl blanks from John Hart yesterday but need some more practice before tackling those. Won't be long though. Pictures if they post correctly are my cherry bowl in progress during the class, my first efforts from the weekend class and the new lathe ready to go. Cheers

Ron Raymond
03-07-2007, 7:33 PM
Well Dave, actually we all ARE a little crazy!:D Welcome to turning...looks like you're off to a great start.

John Hart
03-07-2007, 7:37 PM
Personally, I don't know what you're talking about. Crazy, according to Einstein, is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

I do it different every time.....expecting the same result!!!:)

Keith Burns
03-07-2007, 8:18 PM
Hey, John ain't crazy, he just likes the lacquer ! Come to think of it, I do too:D :eek:

Great start !!! Congrats

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2007, 8:31 PM
Keith I thought all turners liked lacquer:eek::eek: Hic-cup. :p Hey Dave welcome to the crazy house. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-07-2007, 8:39 PM
Welcome to the funny farm Dave......Now you are an inmate too! You spin crack addict you!

Liquered up.....lacquered up.....different ingredients same result.....pickled brain.............:rolleyes: :D

Travis Stinson
03-07-2007, 8:40 PM
You mean we're not????:eek:

Jeff Towle
03-07-2007, 9:00 PM
Howdy all.

New to turning and to this forum myself.

I got a Delta midi for Christmas '05 but didn't do much with it until Christmas '06. Tried a few pieces but wasn't having much luck self teaching. Contacted a buddy from a fishing forum I belong to and he gave me a few hours worth of excellent instruction and now I'm in the vortex several times a week.

Biggest problem for me now is I want more! Bigger! Better!! After spending a few hours on my buddies big Powermatic my Midi seems almost useless! :rolleyes:

My next challange is to learn how to sharpen my tools. Sadly I have zero skill when it comes to putting an edge on anything more complex then my kitchen knives! :o

Hope to spend lots of time here and soak up some more knowledge from Y'all. I'll dig up a few pics of my turnings to date and post them up so y'all can have a chuckle.

Thanks,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
03-07-2007, 9:04 PM
Congrats on your new lathe - and welcome to the abyss!!

Neal Addy
03-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Psst... he's on to us!

Welcome to the Abyss!

John Chandler
03-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Congratulations on your new lathe. Be sure to post pics of the bowl when you get it finished. Looking good.

John Miliunas
03-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Guys, guys, guysssssssss....I keep tellin' ya' all, we're NOT the crazy ones! It's the rest of those WW's trying to make flat stuff out of what we all know started life as round!!!! :eek: What sense is there to that??? :confused: Now, repeat after me: "The flatworkers are the crazy ones. We're perfectly normal. normal. normal. nor......" :D:cool: