PDA

View Full Version : Just sold a sound system to be done in wood

Bill Wyko
03-07-2007, 6:19 PM
I just sold a customer a woofer box to be done in mahogany, rosewood and maple veneers. We will do some marquetry with their logo. Anyone have any Ideas how I could incorporate a turning into this installation. I have a pretty fat budget.:D

Pete Jordan
03-07-2007, 6:21 PM
There is always the stands and every speaker needs a finial.

Bill Wyko
03-07-2007, 6:32 PM
Actually this is a car stereo:eek: But now that you mention a finial I think i could do something with that:D By the way are those speakers yours? I don't remember the name of them but but I heard them at the C.E.S. show and they were unbelievable.

Dick Strauss
03-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Bill,
I assume you'll use MDF for the base box material, right? Are you doing a matrix enclosure? Will it be ported, sealed, or some form of bandpass box? If you are using a ported box for the woofer, you could turn the port tube though it might be quite a good challenge. You could also turn some custom coverplates for the mounting hardware (where the cheap plastic piece usually covers the mounting screws in the front of the box).

Good luck,
Dick

TYLER WOOD
03-08-2007, 9:43 AM
Bill please don't tell me your posting f-work questions on the turners board. That will get you banned quickly.:D

I have built a few band pass boxes in my days in collegs. I always used mdf for the bos. Made for beter sound. I tried both oak and pine ply for the base but did not get near the sound transmission. I would use the expensive woods only as a thin veneer. I know the lws here has veneer for sale you may check where you are.

Travis Hirst
03-08-2007, 11:43 AM
How about some segmented rings for the speaker mesh covers?

Bill Wyko
03-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Bill please don't tell me your posting f-work questions on the turners board. That will get you banned quickly.:D

I have built a few band pass boxes in my days in collegs. I always used mdf for the bos. Made for beter sound. I tried both oak and pine ply for the base but did not get near the sound transmission. I would use the expensive woods only as a thin veneer. I know the lws here has veneer for sale you may check where you are. Actually I'm trying to come up with Ideas on how I can incorporate turning into the enclosure. Unfortunatly the speaker doesn't work well ina ported enclosure but I like the idea of a turned ring for the speaker trim. Maby I could turn the ring as a grill with a finial at the top.:rolleyes: Now I have to get the bigger lathe.:D