PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection On Dewalt 746 TS

Jeff Heil
03-07-2007, 4:37 PM
Has anyone modified their Dewalt 746 Table Saw to improve it's Dust Collection? It comes with a plastic shroud around the blade with a 2 1/2 outlet. I have mine set up with a 4" to 2 1'2" reducer to connect the DC now, but am thinking about enclosing the bottom and back and attaching a 4" DC outlet. My concern is the motor overheating with an enclosed cabinet.

Here's a photo from when I set up the saw and prior to connection to a DC via 4" flex hose and prior to the addition of a shopmade outfeed table.

glenn bradley
03-07-2007, 4:41 PM
I may be wrong but I'm thinkin' with 300 - 600CFM worth of air fighting to flow into the enclosure so it can rush out the duct carrying the dust with it will probably cool the motor OK(?). If I am wrong, at least I may provoke someone who knows to chime in ;-)

David Stonner
03-07-2007, 4:49 PM
i took off the 90-degree elbow on mine and attached a 2.5" to 4" stepped hose converter. it works GREAT with my HF dust collector and 4" hose. a shop vac with a 2.5" hose just doesn't have enough umph to pull the dust out. i wouldn't bother enclosing the cabinet...the whole reason for the dust shroud is so you don't have to. additionally, having the collection hose a few inches away from the blade rather than the bottom of an enclosed stand is a big difference. rather than collecting the dust that falls to the floor of the cabinet, you can get it right off the saw blade. the only problem with this is the hose will run into the cabinet side when you try to tilt the blade past about 35 degrees. since i almost never have the need to do bevel cutting, it doesn't affect me much and i just take the hose off for a few cuts. if i had a lot of bevels to cut, the 90-degree elbow could go back on with the 4" hose converter attached. if you don't have a dust collecter, seriously consider getting one. i have worked for a few years without one and bought one over the winter (with a wynn filter attached). the difference over a shopvac is amazing. an removing the 90-degree elbow made the airflow path smoother and it pulls much more dust away with a straight run now. at least do that much (removing the elbow). sorry for the long rambling answer.

dave

David Stonner
03-07-2007, 4:52 PM
i'll take a picture tonight and post it if it would help you visualize what i'm talking about. you obviously have a lot invested in that saw (long rails and sliding table)...you owe yourself a dust collector.

dave

Chris Merriam
03-08-2007, 9:26 AM
I am by no means an expert, but I have enclosed the bottom and back of mine. I lined the bottom with plywood in 3 sections: a flat section right below the motor with a 5in pvc coupling glued inside it, then 2 angled sections on either side to help channel the dust. It's tough to box in the corners, so I just cheated and used some duct tape. I get a little dust that falls through but it doesn't bother me.

To close the back, I used a piece of thin sheet metal from Lowes, right next to the snaplock pipe in the HVAC section. I mounted it on the inside of the cabinet so I wouldn't have to seal it all up. I trimmed it to tuck in next to the bottom cross-rail, then it runs up the main posts and is secured at the top with 2 bolts drilled through the posts. I wanted it to be easily removeable, so I stopped about 6 inches below the top. To cover that last gap, I used a piece of plywood secured on the outside with wing nuts.

Now all that being said, I still get some dust spillage out of the back. It hasn't bothered me enough to track it down. I'm pretty sure it's coming out between the plywood and sheet metal.

I can take a picture tonight when I get home if you are interested.

Jeff Heil
03-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the ideas Chris and Dave. Dave- I do have a Jet 2hp DC with the Dust Dog cannister. The picture is from 2003 when I initally set up the TS. I have the DC on with a 4" to 2 1/2" reducer now, but want a better and more efficent solution than stock. I get a large accumulation of saw dust in the cabinet and on the floor below the saw.

Here are some pictures I snapped this morning that should help clarify my current setup. I think I will try removing the elbow as you suggest and see it that helps. I think Chris has a great long term solution! I do cut 45 degree bevel cuts on a a regular basis, so an enclosed cabinet would be the best long term solution. I have been too busy with projects to work on the shop as of late.