PDA

View Full Version : UPC Codes

Steve McKee
03-07-2007, 3:46 PM
We are looking into putting some products into retail stores and was wondering if we should have a UPC code put on the packaging. Has anyone ever done this? I assume there is an "official" way to get the UPC code, I don't think it's something we can just make up on our own.

Thanks,
Steve

Ed Maloney
03-07-2007, 4:21 PM
Yes - There is an official way to get a series. I did the research last year. There is an annual fee associated with it (and I don't think it was cheap) and the cost is determined by the range/number of codes you would like to have. Basically a UPC is made up of two codes. One is the company and the second part is the product numbers. I believe these codes are distributed "some how" to stores so they are recognized.

This should get you started:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Product_Code

Joe Pelonio
03-07-2007, 4:21 PM
You have to become a member of the GS1 system and pay a fee based on your annual sales and number of products. You have to apply to find out the price.

Most large stores would probably provide you with the codes to print using their product numbers, but could require exclusivity. Small retail shops probably don't use UPC codes. If you want to sell to many stores of various sizes then you might have to join the system.

Marvin Sheriff
03-07-2007, 7:11 PM
Steve, I sell tons of laser engraved glass blocks to Home Depots and I went through AAA bar code for mine. I have to have an individual bar code and a carton bar code. there is a formula for figuring out each one with the last digit as the check digit. Call AAA at 480-839-3830

Marvin Sheriff, National laser Imaging, Inc. 100W LMI SL3400 . (newbie to the forum)

Steve McKee
03-07-2007, 8:18 PM
Looks like all AAA does is produce the barcode labels, etc. They apparently do not assign the codes. It appears the only way to get a UPC code assigned is like Joe said, through GS1. Thanks for the information guys.

Mike Ross
03-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Steve,
I think you will find most succesful retailers will expect you to provide upc codes on your product. They use it for inventory management (re-orders) as well as pricing at the register. Having a UPC also adds credibility.

Mine was $750.00 to enroll, and $150.00 each year and allows 100 products.

I hate writing the check. Seems like some smart dude is getting rich selling numbers....

CorelDraw has a Barcode generator that you can input the numbers and it will give you the barcode that scanners can read. You can then incorporate this right into your label or have stickers printed.

www.uc-council.org (http://www.uc-council.org) is the web address for the above mentioned smart dude.

Mike Ross

Carol VanArnam
03-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Let me get this right- I have to pay someone to allow me to make a UPC sticker on my computer. I have corel and have seen the program that lets you select the code. Why can't I just pick the numbers I want and print the label? Doesn't the store just impute the code i provide on the sticker.

STOP.... THE UPC POLICE ARE COMING, YOU ARE GOING TO BE ARRESTED THE CHARGE IS UPC VIOLATION IN THE 3RD DEGREE...... Oh no, please don't arrest me....:eek: :eek:

Bob Tate
03-08-2007, 5:11 AM
The UPC format consists of 12 digits. The first is a product category code, pretty easy to pick that one out. The next five digits are the manufacturers code. That part is registered so someone else won't use it. The next five are the product identification, you make that up as you go along. The last digit is a checksum, and is calculated on the previous eleven numbers.
The Manufacturers Code is where they get you. You can create UPC's from Corel, or a bunch of other software, but they don't get you a code that is registered to you.
Yes, somebody has quite the racket going, but then I guess someone is needed to keep all of that stuff straight.

Steven Wilson
03-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Let me get this right- I have to pay someone to allow me to make a UPC sticker on my computer.

No but you need to pay for the manufacturer code that you use. UPC isn't the only barcode format out there (code 39, code 93, etc) and you're free to use the others for whatever purpose you want. Most barcode scanners can read the major barcode symbologies and let the scanning software know which type of code was read. However, in a retail environment UPC rules for product labeling. Now, let's say you're placing product with an operation that does its own labeling (i.e. puts barcode labels on packages with its own SKU number) then you could either let them label your product or apply a label that meets your retailers specs.

Shaddy Dedmore
03-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Doesn't the store just input the code i provide on the sticker?

That's the main issue, if you make up your own serial/product code, you may arbitrarily choose a number that someone else uses. Then they have to find a way to make your number unique, usually with a pen on each of your labels (blech). But if they use bar codes, they'd have to relabel everything using their own barcode label makers. Then creating a cross reference in a database somewhere.

That's pretty much just if you're selling to another retailer, if you just have your own shop, you can just maintain your own numbers without effecting anyone else.

Shaddy

Aaron Koehl
03-08-2007, 2:36 PM
Steve, I sell tons of laser engraved glass blocks to Home Depots and I went through AAA bar code for mine. I have to have an individual bar code and a carton bar code. there is a formula for figuring out each one with the last digit as the check digit. Call AAA at 480-839-3830

Marvin Sheriff, National laser Imaging, Inc. 100W LMI SL3400 . (newbie to the forum)
Marvin,

Welcome to the 'Creek-