PDA

View Full Version : "How to" apply BLO Finish...

Tim Brooks
03-07-2007, 2:36 PM
I just picked up some BLO and have searched the forum for steps describing how to apply it to a turning (i.e. pens) but could not seem to find them It looks like I would apply it the same way I apply the friction polish. If that is the case, then, is that all I need to do?

Thanks in advance for your time.:)

Mark Pruitt
03-07-2007, 2:49 PM
Not a pen turner, but I doubt I would use BLO on pens. I would want something more durable. Applying BLO is as simple as wetting a rag and wiping it on. Let it soak in, wipe it off, and come back to it every hour or so to wipe off any spots that have risen to the surface. It's an easy low-sheen finish for bowls and other projects, but again I wouldn't want it on pens.

Travis Hirst
03-07-2007, 2:54 PM
I use a thin coat of BLO followed by a thin coat of CA glue and then repeat process at least three times. Gives it a nice clean coat with a nice shine after a little buffing in between coats.

Travis

P.S I just use a paper towel to apply both the BLO and the CA glue.

Ron Raymond
03-07-2007, 7:55 PM
Russ Fairfield has a terrific tutorial on pen finishing on his website.
http://www.woodturnerruss.com/FinishingSecrets.html

By the way, he advocates applying the CA first and then the BLO. He had a very scientific discussion as to why do it in that order over on the pen turners forum, but it was, like so much else, over my head.:)

All I know is his pens and techniques clearly deserve to be imitated.

Rich Souchek
03-07-2007, 8:58 PM
For pens, suggest you read the library articles of penturners.org.
In particular, vidio#2 by russ Farifield http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17155
and the article of 2004, 2005 & 2006 there.
They have a whole forum section on pen finishing.
Rich S.

Mark Pruitt
03-08-2007, 8:17 AM
That link is likely going to disappear, so when it does, go to the website Rich mentioned, and under Forums, click The Library. You will see the info Rich is referring to.

Hilel Salomon
03-08-2007, 9:56 AM
I almost did what my university students used to do and that is hide behind my ignorance. I kept telling them that there was no such thing as a stupid question..... only the stupidity of not admitting one's ignorance. Here goes... What is BLO??????

David Epperson
03-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Boiled Linseed Oil

Jerry Clark
03-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Boiled Linseed Oil.

Joyce Baldauf
03-08-2007, 11:08 AM
I almost did what my university students used to do and that is hide behind my ignorance. I kept telling them that there was no such thing as a stupid question..... only the stupidity of not admitting one's ignorance. Here goes... What is BLO??????

I've been on this forum and others for some time now. I am a faithful reader and infrequent contributor. Although I know what BLO is(didn't always), I still don't know the meaning of many of the abreviations that the forum members use. Sometimes I have been able to figure them out from context, and sometimes someone lets slip a tiny hint. I could do with a few more hints. I used to think that NE was the abbreviation for Nebraska, silly me!:o

Mark Pruitt
03-08-2007, 12:15 PM
I've been on this forum and others for some time now. I am a faithful reader and infrequent contributor. Although I know what BLO is(didn't always), I still don't know the meaning of many of the abreviations that the forum members use. Sometimes I have been able to figure them out from context, and sometimes someone lets slip a tiny hint. I could do with a few more hints. I used to think that NE was the abbreviation for Nebraska, silly me!:o
Me too. Thankfully I now know all about New England bowls as well as Harbor Freights. I have also bought a Prime Minister lathe!:D ;)

Tim Brooks
03-08-2007, 4:01 PM

There are some post on here that will give you the meanings for the abreviations. Here is the link...

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27040&highlight=Acronyms

:D