PDA

View Full Version : Silding Miter Saws?

Charles Jackson III
03-07-2007, 1:54 PM
I been looking at getting a miter saw for crosscutting and angle cuts, I been looking at the Makita LS1040 10'' Compound Miter Saw, But I been thinking I might be better off getting a sliding miter saw I can crosscut up to a 12'' board it should cover my needs. but there kind of high. with a miter saw, 14'' bandsaw, and my benchtop table saw all my needs should be cover.

James Carmichael
03-07-2007, 2:20 PM
I tend to agree with your thinking, though from what I see on WW forums, most folks gravitate towards the SCMS. It would be interesting to hear why.

As you noted, it is more expensive and requires more space, so I wonder why a shop with a tablesaw would need a slider.

Joe Hardesty
03-07-2007, 2:35 PM
Charles,

I have a Makita 12" SCMS and love it. BUT if you have never used one before, be very careful for the first few cuts.

When the blade touches the wood, it want to come forward, and because it slides, you have restrain it -- totally different than any other type of saw.

Other than getting used to it, they are great versatile saws.

Charles Jackson III
03-07-2007, 2:36 PM
ya It might replace my benchtop table saw for crosscuting.

Matt Lentzner
03-07-2007, 2:42 PM
ya It might replace my benchtop table saw for crosscuting.

If you have a benchtop TS then I think it is wise to get the most capacity you can on your MS. 12" slider if you can swing it.

I have that exact setup and I use my TS for ripping and my MS for crossing. The MS, in spite of it's quirks, is a very friendly machine (IMHO) and a quality one can cut very accurately esp. compared to a cross cut on a benchtop TS.

Matt

John Bush
03-07-2007, 2:48 PM
I have my SCMS permanently mounted on my bench and find that I use it all the time. Wider cuts aren't as freguent, but when you need it the lenght, it is really convenient. I have the DW708 12"(older model) and have had great luck with it. I added the LaserKerf and it is goo for a hobbiest like me. Good luck, JCB.

Scott Thornton
03-07-2007, 2:53 PM
I'd highly recommend a Bosch 12inch slider. I switched from a Makita and don't regret it at all. It's a much better saw, IMHO and most reviews will agree with that...

Matt Lentzner
03-07-2007, 3:44 PM
I'd highly recommend a Bosch 12inch slider. I switched from a Makita and don't regret it at all. It's a much better saw, IMHO and most reviews will agree with that...

That's what I have also, and I am 100% satisfied with it. Although, it ain't cheap.

Chris Jenkins
03-07-2007, 4:00 PM
Love my Bosch slider. 12" is cool, but for the extra minimal extra length and height I didn't need to spend the money. I went with the 4410L, which is the 10" with the laser on the side of the blade.

The laser is activated when the blade is in motion, so you have to get used to lining up the work once the blade is already spinning, unlike most drill presses where it has a switch for on and off.

Also on a slider proper cutting motion is as follows. Pull sliding assembly toward you past board with blade in UP position. Push Blade down into wood. Push blade back to starting postion. This will prevent the blade from jumping at you.

David Wilson
03-07-2007, 4:46 PM
I'd say "bite the bullet and get a scms". I've had my Hitachi for 3 years and love it.

Charles Jackson III
03-07-2007, 5:17 PM
I can crosscut wide with the 10'' compound miter saw if I flip the board so I might just stick with that.

Eugene A. Manzo III
03-07-2007, 5:47 PM
I would definately go with the 10" slider. Either Makita or Bosch are very nice tools also someone said ridgid miter saw table is on sale for $99.00 at
Home Depot right now ver nice unit.

Paul Johnstone
03-07-2007, 6:00 PM
I been looking at getting a miter saw for crosscutting and angle cuts, I been looking at the Makita LS1040 10'' Compound Miter Saw, But I been thinking I might be better off getting a sliding miter saw I can crosscut up to a 12'' board it should cover my needs. but there kind of high. with a miter saw, 14'' bandsaw, and my benchtop table saw all my needs should be cover.

If it were me, I'd get a regular mitre saw. You can lift up the board to get a couple more inches of cut when you need it. Or you can flip the board and recut. A 12" mitre saw is less expensive and should be fine.

I'd use the money saved to start saving up to upgrade the benchtop tablesaw.. Heck, I'd probably upgrade the table saw before worrying about the mitre saw, since you can make sleds to crosscut on a full sized table saw.

Rob Russell
03-07-2007, 6:08 PM
If it were me, I'd get a regular mitre saw. You can lift up the board to get a couple more inches of cut when you need it. Or you can flip the board and recut. A 12" mitre saw is less expensive and should be fine.

I disagree. I have a Dewalt 708 12" slider and love it. Trying to flip a board and reposition the saw when you're doing 45 degree bevelled miter cuts on wider boards would be a real pain.

Rob

David Wambolt
03-07-2007, 6:20 PM
I have a Bosch 12" 4212L non-slider and it's a very nice saw, other than the cheesy laser. It has very nice table extensions, crown stops, extendable fences, good clamp, up front bevel controls, and just feels solid. It makes perfect cuts each and everytime. The Makita LS1214FL I just got looks to be a nice saw, but I have not done any cuts with it yet (long story). As mentioned, do not cut with a SCMS by pulling the saw through the work piece like a radial arm. Instead start with the blade in front of the work piece and push the blade through. You can also lock a slider in a single position and use it like a standard CMS.

The Bosch has by far the most features for the money. I got the Bosch 4212L for $254 from Amazon last year and it included the 1587VSK Jigsaw via rebate. I didn't want a slider at the time because I already had an Hitachi C10FSH slider and just recently sold that to upgrade to the Makita LS1214FL. I much prefer the laser on the Makita to that of the Bosch if that is a feature you're looking for.

Charles Jackson III
03-07-2007, 6:56 PM
Well I hope to get the bandsaw first. and then upgrade my table saw.

Jesse Thornton
03-07-2007, 7:36 PM
I have the Bosch 4410L, and I'm happy with it, but after doing some work in a friend's shop I think the makita might be a little more precise, if a little shorter on the features.
I personally find the slider to have huge benefits over a standard chop saw. Besides the obvious advantage of handling wider boards, I've used the dado stop many times for non through cuts (particularly handy for cutting tenons and whatnot on larger peices, such as in timber framing). If the vast majority of my crosscuts were done on very short boards, the tablesaw would suffice, but obviously crosscutting long boards with a tablesaw is pretty impractical.
As far as the laser goes, I personally couldn't care less if my saw had one or not (it does). They're useless for precision work, and for less exacting work like framing, it's so quick and easy to line up your blade to a mark with a SCMS that the laser doesn't strike me as anything but a very successful gimmick. IMHO, definately not something to weigh heavily into your purchasing decision.
The up front dual bevel controls on the bosch are fantastic.

Marc Prudhomme
03-07-2007, 9:33 PM
Has anyone on here bought this saw from Harbor freight and how is it?

12'' SLIDING COMPOUND LASER GUIDE MITER SAW (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91852)
Sliding compound miter saw gives you extra cutting capacity. It is more accurate and convenient than a radial arm saw.
Laser cutting guide for super-accurate cuts
Heavy duty 15 amp motor
Cutting capacity: 12-3/4'' x 4'' @ 90 degrees, 12-3/4'' x 1-15/16'' @ 45 degrees
Makes miter cuts to 45 degrees left and right, bevels to 45 degrees left
Easy-to-read miter scale with nine positive stops left

Item #: 91852-2VGA (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91852)
$259.99 $179.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/gifs/addtocart.gif -->http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/logos/chicago.gif http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/91800-91899/91852.gif

Click here to show/hide all but first ten thumbnails (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/)-->

Don Bullock
03-08-2007, 11:17 AM
I got an Hatachi 10" SCMS because last fall Amazon had a deal that was too good to pass up. Ith saw is excellent. At the time I wasn't even in the market for a miter saw, much less a slider. I have not had any problems, especially with accuracy. The laser feature works well and I have found it to be handy once I got used to it. i know that this particular saw is not the "best" on the market, but for the price I got it for, it's fantastic.

Jason Roehl
03-08-2007, 3:36 PM
Charles,

I have a Makita 12" SCMS and love it. BUT if you have never used one before, be very careful for the first few cuts.

When the blade touches the wood, it want to come forward, and because it slides, you have restrain it -- totally different than any other type of saw.

Other than getting used to it, they are great versatile saws.
Joe, it sounds like you need to revise your technique. With sliders, your motion should be (trigger, wait for full speed) out, down, in. It also helps to have a blade with a negative rake. I also lock the slide back on my DW708 when I don't need it, so that it just works like a non-slider.

Marc, I've never seen the saw in person, but I'd probably rather spend that $179 on lottery tickets. And I never gamble.

glenn bradley
03-08-2007, 4:38 PM
The HF saw reviewed dead last in two seperate reviews and was even deemed 'unusable' by one mag. I would imagine it would be OK for rough framing at a contruction site but not much more accurate than a hand held 77.

Brad Trent
03-08-2007, 5:28 PM
I know that store displays are not usually set up well, but when wandering through HF in the past, I've played with their saw. It was loose in almost every dimension. Very easy to deflect the arm side to side, the head would easily rock (tilt), the fence wasn't solid, etc.

I assume that you could use it to do rough cutting, but anything that required precision couldn't be cut with it.

Randy Acton
03-09-2007, 4:58 AM
I have used almost all of them and if I had my choice for shop use I would set up 3 saws: one that did nothing but 90 cuts, one that did nothing but 45 cuts and one that I could swing (none of them sliding).

That being said, not many of us (including myself) can do that. I purchased an Hitachi C12LSH about 3 years ago and have had nothing but good luck with it.

Considering that adding the slider just adds another variable for inaccuracy, I haven't found that with the C12LSH. It has performed in the field and in the shop without exception.

As an all around saw, you should give it a consideration.

Ken Styer
03-09-2007, 9:53 AM
My lumber pile is pretty well picked through. The shortest stuff I have left is 14' and much of that is 10". I could set up a set of sawhorses and use the circular saw but my Bosch 4410L really makes things a lot easier. Btw, the cheapest price for this saw at the St. Paul WW show was $539.00 + tax. I got mine from Amazon for $465 + $5 shipping. Very happy with it.

Doug Hoffman
03-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I have a Bosch,but just added a new Makita 12" slider. I prefer the Makita over the Bosch. The laser is on a seperate switch, as is the work light. The laser is dead-on. As for not needing a cms,it is what you get used to.
My cm saws get more use then any of my other saws. I have read an article recently where the writer says he uses his bandsaw for everything.
He even rips boards with it. He says there is less waste that way.
To me,it comes down to time. It takes a lot less time to setup a miter cut with the cms than with a table saw.

Brye Goodspeed
03-09-2007, 12:01 PM
This is an age old question that will always be up for debate. If you can afford to spend the money on a 12" why not right? But if you look into the cutting capacity of the two you will be surprised to find out that it is less of a difference then first thought. But Murphys Law would come in to effect and burn you that one time when you need that extra inch or so!

I think that the Makita 10" Saw is a great Mitre Saw and never a bad choice. I think that the others are all relatively close and that all have their pros and cons.

I own the Dewalt and have two complaints about it. Poor Dust Collection, and the knob to lock it down from being a slider is terribly positioned. With some creativity I was able to remedy the poor dust collection issue. As for the knob... well I just have to deal with it when the time comes and its not that big of problem.

My Vote would go as follows...

10" Makita, Hitachi, Bosch, Milwaukee, Dewalt, Ridgid, Porter Cable (NS), Metabo, Ryobi, Delta (NS), Craftsman, Mastercraft, Chicago Electric.

12" Bosch, Makita & Hitachi, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Ridgid

Good luck and happy shopping!

Joe Hardesty
03-09-2007, 1:16 PM
I own the Dewalt and ...

Does ANY miter saw have decent dust collection? Over the years, I've owned three different brands and now the Makita 12". On all of them, the DC is a joke.

Brye Goodspeed
03-09-2007, 9:40 PM
now the Makita 12".

Joe how do you like the 12" Makita? How does it compare to the others you have owned?

Joe Chritz
03-10-2007, 2:21 PM
Does ANY miter saw have decent dust collection? Over the years, I've owned three different brands and now the Makita 12". On all of them, the DC is a joke.

No

I am working on a hood for mine but at best the DC is poor. A non slider would be able to use a hood more efficently. I am still in the desgin phase for a hood for my Dewalt 12" SCMS.

Joe

Per Swenson
03-10-2007, 4:18 PM
I make my living with a miter saw.

Out of three I currently own the 12" Makita slider

is my unequivocal favorite. We just deal with the dust.

All that will change the minute the Kapex from Festool hits

these shores. Don't worry it will.

Dustless miter saw? Sure looks that way.

Not to mention everything else this thing does.

It debuts in Europe on April 1st.

Putting a end to the endless Makita, Bosch, Dewalt, debate.

Per

Doug Hoffman
03-10-2007, 4:43 PM
American Woodworker tested the sliders in the July 2006 issue.Here is their take.

Hitachi-Pros--Best dust collection,good hold down Cons--small bed,side to side play,tiny bevel scale.

Bosch-Pros--Good bevel scale,good ext. wings,front mounted controls.
Cons--Poor blade,hold down not user friendly,side to side play

DeWalt-Pros--removable main fence adds 1.5",light and compact
Cons--Poor blade,saw head jumps on start-up,poor hold down

Makita-Pros--Feels solid,very little side to side play well supported rails,
soft start,easy to use bevel control.
Cons-- small bevel scale,average dust collection,fences not as
easy to use as others.

Their top pick was the Makita.They said the more they use it the better they liked it.
I should point out,these are all 12" saws.

Brye Goodspeed
03-10-2007, 7:21 PM
Great addition Doug. Since I own the 12" DeWalt I would like to point out that the kick back of the Dewalt is quite obvious and as equally dissapointing.

The more I look at the Makita the more I like it too! Maybe I will have to add it to my shop anyways:D

Dan Clark
03-10-2007, 7:53 PM
All that will change the minute the Kapex from Festool hits
these shores. Don't worry it will.
Dustless miter saw? Sure looks that way.
Not to mention everything else this thing does.
It debuts in Europe on April 1st.

Putting a end to the endless Makita, Bosch, Dewalt, debate.
Per
I'll leave it to Per to make that call.

I own a Bosch 4410L. When I bought it, I spent a lot of time looking, reading, and getting advice. After comparing the Bosch 4410L with the Makita LS1013 and the Dewalt DW718, I went with the Bosch.

The Bosch is a decent saw, but the more I use it, the more I find little niggling things that bug me. The left support wing is about 1-2 millimeters above the main bed. I have to remove the wing to get square cuts. Dust collection is fair. Accuracy is decent, but I believe the Makita is better. The stand that I have doesn't work very well with the saw. Unlike my Festool stuff, the more I use the Bosch, the less I like it. Not massive dislike mind you, but a general decline.

Like Per, I've got my eye on the Festool Kapex. Once you've worked with tools that are almost dust free, it's difficult to like a dusty environment. Unlike Per (who is a Pro's Pro), I'm an amateur. But I do all my work at my house, with my wife and the dogs running around. She's somewhat alergic to dust and the dogs track it around (not to mention moi). In the last year, since I got my Festool vac and tools, she hasn't let out a peep.

Another thing is that I store my Bosch on a shelf when not in use. That thing weighs 75 lbs with the stand adapter! It's a pain (literally and figuratively) to move that thing around.

And the stand, like most miter saw stand, is pretty much special purpose. When I'm through with it, I store it away until I need to use the miter saw again.

By contrast, the Festool weighs 47 pounds and doesn't need an adapter. It uses a standard Festool MFT as a stand. Even if I got another MFT for the miter saw, it's very useful to have a spare MFT hanging around.

If anyone is interested in my Bosch after the Kapex comes out, let me know.

Regard,

Dan.