PDA

View Full Version : Finish for TS outfeed table

Tom Hamilton
12-13-2003, 10:16 PM
Greetings: The MDF outfeed table for my 1950's BoiceCrane combo table saw and 6" jointer is finished. Now the question is what finish to use to have slick, easy sliding surface.

I've considered poly; floor wax, high gloss trim paint; and nothing, just bare MDF.

Your consultation will be most appreciated.

Happy Holidays, Tom Hamilton

John Christiansen
12-13-2003, 10:52 PM
Greetings: The MDF outfeed table for my 1950's BoiceCrane combo table saw and 6" jointer is finished. Now the question is what finish to use to have slick, easy sliding surface.

I've considered poly; floor wax, high gloss trim paint; and nothing, just bare MDF.

Is the option still available to laminate it? If so I would definately put some kind of high pressure laminate surface on it. Formica, Wilsonart, Pionite, etc. Both sides. And then wax it.

If the clearance for laminate isn't there. Then I'm not sure what I'd do. Probably just paste wax the heck out it and use it.

Ron Jones near Indy
12-13-2003, 11:05 PM
If the clearance is there, the hard, smooth side of tempered Masonite (hardboard) with 2 or 3 coats of Johnson's wax gives a very slick surface. It is less expensive and faster than plastic laminate, but doesn't look as nice.

Jim Young
12-13-2003, 11:45 PM
I would go with the laminate also. If you go to your local big box store you may be able to toalk them out of some scrap size pieces. I've had luck with that in the past, expecially when the color isn't popular like purple (my router table top).

Ken Frantz
12-14-2003, 12:45 AM
Tom

In my part of the country, Central Florida, cabinets shops around here are about 90% producuction mica laminated cabinets and countertops shops. A few places would give you the mica for nothing, if it is an off collor or pattern. When I had my shop, I probably have burned or throwed out a ton or more of the mica. Any size from 2 x 3 to 5 x 12 sheets because they were to small to use or an odd pattern. only reason we saved the 2 X 3 was that we could get a top for a 24 inch vanity. About 15 years ago, I had a 5 X 12 trailer that had atleast a stack of mica 10 inches high that was dumped!!!!

That is over 3000 square feet and now the price for standard mica is at about $1.40 per square foot!!!!!!! $4200.00 worth!!

So if you are in a area that does mica work, check out the shops.

KEN

Bart Leetch
12-14-2003, 12:58 AM
If you can't get enough of one color you can do it this way.

Phil Phelps
12-14-2003, 9:28 AM
....melamine, cause it's already laminated. Over the last thirty five plus years, I've had masonite, plywood, and others. The laminate or melamine, is the best for me. Easy gliding and easy to take care. Use a good contact cement for application. You'll probably need two coats on both surfaces.

Michael Cody
12-14-2003, 9:05 PM

Since it's an outfeed table & the top shouldn't get chewed up, I would skip the replaceable top and just soak in 2-3 coats of Watco oil and wax with a couple coats johnson wax then buff it up.. it will be so slick you can curl on it... That's the same method basically Pat Warner uses on his router tables Pat Warner - Router Man site (http://www.patwarner.com) .

Steve Inniss
12-16-2003, 7:16 PM
Since it's an outfeed table & the top shouldn't get chewed up, I would skip the replaceable top and just soak in 2-3 coats of Watco oil and wax with a couple coats johnson wax then buff it up.. it will be so slick you can curl on it... That's the same method basically Pat Warner uses on his router tables Pat Warner - Router Man site (http://www.patwarner.com) .
I completely agree - Watco & wax.