PDA

View Full Version : Down with Dubby

Robert Kasahara
03-07-2007, 10:40 AM
OK I admit I'm venting my frustration and dissappointment with In Line but their customer service is horrible. I ordered my dubby back in January and the guy said he was waiting for stops and there would be a two week delay, hey no problem. I call In Line about the dubby in February and they say their waiting for extrusions and it will be...... you guessed it two weeks. During these delays, In Line made no effort to contact me and explain the problems or apologize for the lengthy wait. So, now it's March and I'm fed up with In Line so I call to cancel my order some guy answers the phone does'nt say his name and I tell him to cancel my order, he looks up my order and says he shows it will ship tomorrow..... yeah right. I told him to cancel the order anyway and he grumbled something under his breath and said he would take care of it. No sorry, no I hope we can do business in the future, no nothin just click. Well my smart miter arrived yesterday in less than a week and Jointech was very happy to relieve of my money.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Rob

Ted Miller
03-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Robert, I live by customer service, I am the one chance kind of guy since I deal with C/S on a daily basis. If you diss me you are done, then I move to the next vendor. I will pay the extra cash just for good down to earth real person caring C/S when I call for eta or just ordering info. You treat me like a number then I take my money numbers elsewhere...

Gary Keedwell
03-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Sorry to hear that Rob. My Dubby is over 15 years old and I use it about every time I'm on the table saw. Mine is so old it has the wooden fence. lol

Gary K.:)

Stan Welborn
03-07-2007, 1:44 PM
Robert, I live by customer service, I am the one chance kind of guy since I deal with C/S on a daily basis. If you diss me you are done, then I move to the next vendor. I will pay the extra cash just for good down to earth real person caring C/S when I call for eta or just ordering info. You treat me like a number then I take my money numbers elsewhere...

Same here. And if you're the only game in town, it better be something I can't do without. And I can't think of a single thing I may purchase I couldn't live without. It's a stubborn thing I guess, but I won't put up with it. And you won't get a second shot.

Alfred Clem
03-07-2007, 2:51 PM
My wife and I face the dreaded prospect of buying a car. I'd rather undergo a root canal. Over-fed, over-caffeined, over-smoking guys in overstuffed polo shirts who act as if they are doing you a favor.

They always have "to talk this over with their sales manager," you know, The Wizard of Oz. "Be back in a minute, folks," is part of their stage act. All part of "the squeeze play" put on the great unwashed, otherwise known as customers.

Maybe we will just keep the aged Chrysler.

And all the same goes for lots of stuff I have bought from woodworking retailers -- they simply could not care less.

John Bush
03-07-2007, 2:52 PM
Hi Gary,
My Dubby has the wooden fence also. It doesnt fit my SS now, do you need two??

Robert Kasahara
03-07-2007, 3:01 PM
I don't know how this guy stays in business for 15 years providing customer service like that. I guess what really chapped me was his attitude. He acted like I was the jerk for canceling my order.

Kyle Kraft
03-07-2007, 3:02 PM
Alfred,

If you're buying new, try this...it worked very well for my FIL. You get the e-mail addresses for, lets say, all the Ford dealers within a 50 mile radius. You send them a very detailed e-mail regarding the model, all the options, color, etc. for your prospective car. Ask for pricing and delivery. None of the salesmen know what dealers they are "bidding" against and they will give you the lowest possible price. My FIL did this with a Honda CRV after a failed attempt at dealing with a dealer....there is little dealing with Honda products...you usually pay asking price.

Peter Russell
03-07-2007, 4:20 PM
dang...read the title and thought this was a political thread :D

Pete

Mike Putnam
03-07-2007, 6:00 PM
almost identical experiance with order placed for pals on Jan 12 2007, same story waiting for parts, will ship in a week Fast forward three weeks call again will ship next week... FF one more weeks nothing, call confirmed order shipped... call monday this week told order was lost told will ship that day, order arrived tuesday. wery frustating cost himself another order for align it... bought super bar on amazon instead. this will be the last I deal with them. thought maybe it was just my bad luck guess not.

John W. Willis
03-07-2007, 6:32 PM

Amen! I worked as Quality Assurance Manager for several years and I'm with Ted. It doesn't take any longer to make a good impression on your customers.

I will not darken the door of a certain "orange" home center after they tried to "bribe" me back after many poor CS issues.

I use PlanetFeedback.com and have gotten some great results and a place to let many others know when a company gives me bad service.

Glen Blanchard
03-07-2007, 9:04 PM
Bet you'll love the Smart Miter. I do mine!!

Ed Blough
03-08-2007, 1:24 AM
OK I admit I'm venting my frustration and dissappointment with In Line but their customer service is horrible. I ordered my dubby back in January and the guy said he was waiting for stops and there would be a two week delay, hey no problem. I call In Line about the dubby in February and they say their waiting for extrusions and it will be...... you guessed it two weeks. During these delays, In Line made no effort to contact me and explain the problems or apologize for the lengthy wait. So, now it's March and I'm fed up with In Line so I call to cancel my order some guy answers the phone does'nt say his name and I tell him to cancel my order, he looks up my order and says he shows it will ship tomorrow..... yeah right. I told him to cancel the order anyway and he grumbled something under his breath and said he would take care of it. No sorry, no I hope we can do business in the future, no nothin just click. Well my smart miter arrived yesterday in less than a week and Jointech was very happy to relieve of my money.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Rob

Rob thanks for info. I almost bought a dubby a few ago at a woodworking show. Now the show is coming back in town near the end of the month and I was thinking of going to get a dubby. Perhaps I better look at the smart mitre too.

RichMagnone
03-08-2007, 7:33 AM
Ed, although a bit more pricey, the smartmiter offers much better build and the pivot point stays fixed (ie - the end of the fence closest to the saw blade does not move away from the blade as the angle of the fence changes) - very useful for accurate cuts.

Heather Deans
03-08-2007, 7:50 AM
Ok- well, I agree with all the responses about how important customer service is, but I'm baffled on what a "dubby" is!

Charles Abel
03-08-2007, 9:42 AM
Heather:
Follow this link to find out what a Dubby is.
http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/dubby.htm
Charles Abel

Greg Ladd
03-09-2007, 7:00 AM
This is a small mom-and pop business. They travel to shows and manufacture products in between times, with considerable outsourcing I am sure.

While I am not necessarily disagreeing with the of opinions that have been presented in this thread, I do think that this company is not a multi-million dollar company that can afford to have a staff of phone reps waiting to take calls. They have good products that work well.

That being said, they may not stay in business long if they don't make some changes.

I have a Dubby and have been more than pleased with its' performance and would buy another if I needed it.

Greg

Bill Sampson
03-09-2007, 1:03 PM
Robert,

I wouldn't begin to speculate as to why you received the poor service from In-Line. I purchased my first Dubby in January 89 and can say it is one of the most used tools in my shop. It is not a high tech unit, but still dead on accurate after all these years. I have since purchased two, (right and left) updated Dubby's and rarely use them. In-Line has replaced parts for the old unit, at their expense, and the service was only days in turn-a-round time. I have not had the occasion to use any service from In-Line for over five years so I won't comment on their current situation.
Service and sales are tandem items, and no one should loose a sale because of poor service.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Robert Kasahara
03-09-2007, 2:40 PM
Bill,

In my experience, sales and service go hand in hand. Mike also recieved the same poor attitude and service I did and also decided not to do further business with In Line. A little honesty and courtesy goes a long way towards making a purchase, neither of which I recieved from In Line.

Rob

Paul Johnstone
03-09-2007, 2:43 PM
My wife and I face the dreaded prospect of buying a car. I'd rather undergo a root canal. Over-fed, over-caffeined, over-smoking guys in overstuffed polo shirts who act as if they are doing you a favor.

They always have "to talk this over with their sales manager," you know, The Wizard of Oz. "Be back in a minute, folks," is part of their stage act. All part of "the squeeze play" put on the great unwashed, otherwise known as customers.

Go to the manufacturer's website. It probably has a way for you to search the inventory of the local dealers and request a quote via email. If you find a deal you like, drive in and pick up.. No BS with staying in the dealership all day Saturday as they try to wear you out. There's also services that will do it for you.. Tell them what you want, and they search.. It's typically a couple hundred over invoice, and no hassles.

Gary Keedwell
03-09-2007, 5:20 PM
Like was mentioned above...it is a mom and pop operation. If I really wanted a product enough, I wouldn't let some lay-a-bout manning the phone stop me from my goal. AFTER I received the product and need help....that's another story. Think about it: If you really want something, a little tenacity goes a long ways. IMNSHO

Gary K.