PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Dovetail jig deal

Tim Brooks
03-07-2007, 10:33 AM
I was killing time the other day at Sears and came across their Professional Series 16" dovetail jig for $139. It was marked "discontinued". The box was openned and I have no idea if everything was still in the box. If so, would you consider this worth pulling the trigger? Does anyone know why they have discontinued this jig? They still have it on their website. :confused:

Roy Wall
03-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Tim -

I have (I think) what you're after. A new Craftsman Industrial #925450 DT JIG plus the Box Joint set #92550.

The jig was assembled and I made a few test cuts. It is basically brand new. I've disassembled it back and its all in the box. If you are interested. Its about 2 years old. The Box Joint set is new in box and never assembled.

If interested..maybe we can work out a deal..send me a email or PM (personal message) - I can send you photos.

I've converted to hand cut DT's...my reason for selling....

Tim Brooks
03-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Tim -

I have (I think) what you're after. A new Craftsman Industrial #925450 DT JIG plus the Box Joint set #92550.

The jig was assembled and I made a few test cuts. It is basically brand new. I've disassembled it back and its all in the box. If you are interested. Its about 2 years old. The Box Joint set is new in box and never assembled.

If interested..maybe we can work out a deal..send me a email or PM (personal message) - I can send you photos.

I've converted to hand cut DT's...my reason for selling....

I sent you a PM.

I just went back to the Sears website and found the reveiws on this jig and they are not so good. --An overall rating of 1.8 out of 5.

Here is what one buyer said. Let me know if you agree:
"A long time(30 yr) buyer and user of craftsman woodworking tools, this jig as given to me as a gift. I found the most frustrating aspect of the jig is the total reliance on sears routers and bushings and router bits in order to make it work reasonably well. Most frustrating of all is that it is difficult to even find the 3 router bits that are required with this jig. The Sears stores don't carry the required stock numbers. The templates are made of plastic and you can easily nip the edge of one of the slots. That happens, but then it's hard to find a replacement template. T

This is the first craftsman tool that I have owned that I wish I had another brand that is more durable and amenable to various routers and bits.

For 130 bucks I expected a lot more from this jig."

Now I'm having second thoughts...

Roy Wall
03-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Tim -

Like I said...I just made test joint and the first one was tight...I did some adjusting and got the next joint to work well. I had a Sears router and bit at the time (I suppose with their bushing)....I can't speak for the durablilty of the jig...being plastic..perhaps it is a issue.

I'll contact you via email with some pics so you can decide..no pressure!!

Larry D. Wagner
03-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Tim

A friend of mine lent me that jig a few weeks ago. His has all the templates. I am using it to make some drawers for a bathroom cabinet for my sons new house. The major drawbacks are the use of a Craftsman Router for the guide plates. I found it very easy to use and it produces a good fitting joint once adjusted properly and adjustment is easy. All templates are plastic, but that should not be a problem if you use the router and guide properly. By the way I intend to purchase either a PC omnijig or a Leigh D1600 in the near future because of the all metal construction. I also have an Incra Jig LS which I dearly love for smaller projects, but for larger drawers and the like I think I prefer the table top jigs better as they cut both pins and tails in one or two passes.

Larry:) :) :)

John Hain
03-08-2007, 1:47 PM
You can get the tried and true Porter Cable 4212 on Amazon for nearly as much money. Why mess around?

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-4212-12-Inch-Deluxe-Dovetail/dp/B0006AAS8S/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-5692700-6052449?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1173379477&sr=8-1

Ted Baca
03-08-2007, 2:36 PM
I recently purchased a Porter Cable 4216(which is specially packaged 4212 with a 4215 template) at ToolZone in Denver for 189.00. A great buy in my book I think the added 4215 s 75.00 by itself. You may contact them and they will ship you one. Call Larry or Greg at 303-252-8500 and tell I sent you they may offer free shipping?

Craig D Peltier
06-03-2007, 7:59 PM
Someone on craigslist seattle has this jig for sale for $20 new in box.As of June 2nd and the 3rd.He sent me the model # 925450

Pat Germain
06-03-2007, 8:44 PM
I bought the PC jig a couple months ago at Rockler. It was on sale as part of a package. The package included a through-dovetail plate and a PC palm sander. There was also a rebate. I don't remember the total cost, but I crunched the numbers before I bought and it was a pretty good deal considering I was planning to buy the through-dovetail plate anyway. It's worth investigating if this package is still available.

Before buying the PC, I did a lot of research. The only jigs rated better were the adjustable, and much more expensive, jigs like the Leigh. I also looked at Rockler's jig. Surprisingly, the Rockler rep said it was OK, but didn't really recommend it. He recommended the PC.

Personally, I'd be reluctant to buy a Craftsman jig if it required a Craftsman router. Unless they've changed, Craftsman routers have the collet machined into the motor shaft. If the threads become damaged or the collet wears out, you have to buy a new router. I've also read many stories of the bearings flying out at high velocity.

I honestly don't want to be anti-Craftsman. I like Craftsman mechanic's hand tools. I've used them for years. Unfortunately, Craftsman woodworking tools have brought me, and many others, only disappointment. I received a Craftsman cordless drill as a gift years ago. One of the two battery packs quit working after only a few uses.