PDA

View Full Version : zebrawood bowl

Benjamin Dahl
03-07-2007, 8:56 AM
I turned this on Fridy but have not been able to post until now. I have really appreciated all the feedback and tips and feel that I am making some progress. I tried to taper this one per some suggestions and it does feel lighter to me and the person who has it was happy. It was finished with BLO and friction polish. it's about 6.5" at the top, just under 2" at the foot. Had a hard time with the photos but they show the form. comments welcome.
Thanks, Ben

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2007, 9:51 AM
Ben that is a beauty. I like the wood and the form. Well done.

Mike Vickery
03-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Very nice shape on that bowl.

Tony De Masi
03-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Beautiful shape on that one. Very well done.

Keith Burns
03-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Great form Ben !! Zebrawood is difficult but you did a great job with it:) :)

Steve Schlumpf
03-07-2007, 1:02 PM
Really pretty wood Ben - really like the form! Nice work!

Brett Baldwin
03-07-2007, 2:19 PM
Definite progress. That's a good looking piece in all respects.

Neal Addy
03-07-2007, 2:27 PM
Ben, this is a beauty! Nice clean lines and the foot works very well. It gives the perfect amount of lift.

Very nice work! Keep 'em coming.

Frank Kobilsek
03-07-2007, 5:17 PM
Ben,
Really nice bowl. Good shape and pretty bowl.

Now that you have 'mastered' bowl turning time to try a finish other than friction polish. I know its easy but it will disappoint you in the long run on bowls. Try a good oil, brushing laquer or wipe on poly, you'll be glad you did. Finishing is an on going experiment for me. I got one rule, it must be availble from my local hardware stores. That way when I reach for a empty can I'm not out of business for a week while I wait for one of the catalogs to ship me something. That and I find that everytime I need to order something from a catalog I buy two other things, just because.

Keep it up.
Frank

John Chandler
03-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Nice looking bowl - good job.

Ron Jones near Indy
03-07-2007, 11:03 PM
That's really a nice looking bowl. Did you have any allergy problems turning the zebrawood. I have a friend to ended up in an ER after abour 20 minutes of turning some zebrawood a few years ago.:eek:

John Hart
03-08-2007, 5:32 AM
Hey...that's pretty nice! Zebrawood gives me fits. You've done a nice job with it. Great form you've chosen Ben.:)

Benjamin Dahl
03-08-2007, 7:14 AM
thanks everyone. No problems with allergies to the zebrawood so I guess I am lucky. I did become convinced that I was going to win the megamillions lottery and that is a little delusional but probably not wood related.
regarding finishes, for example antique oil or a wipe-on poly, do you take the piece off the lathe to apply the multiple coats? I know how I would do it with flatwork but turning is new for me.
Thanks,
Ben

Paul Engle
03-08-2007, 4:02 PM
Ben , I don't usually take off the lathe to do first coat of oil or poly I " rub " in with lathe running slow, let dry a few days ( especally during winter may go 2 weeks) then 400 or 600 sand , wipe with thinner and clean lint free to get the " junk" off and second coat on the lathe to wipe it on. repeat till you get the depth you want , then I final sand litely with 600 and minwax finish wax light coat and buff with sheep wool on var spd drill on the lathe.

Frank Kobilsek
03-08-2007, 5:17 PM
Ben
I, like Paul get the first good coat of any finish on while the piece is still mounted on the lathe. Then when I do the bottom I will give the whole piece another coat of the finish.

I have a bad habit of turning 6, 8 or even 10 pieces before I spend a couple nights turning, finishing and sanding bottoms. I think the habit grew from my distaste for mounting Jumbo Jaws on the Stronghold chuck. Lately I jam chuck everything but my next big investment in the Abyss is vac chuck.

Frank